“One of the BEST meals of my life” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oba Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #210 of 3,617 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: NW Hoyt
Description: Located in the heart of the Pearl District, ¡Oba! Restaurant is known for its festive atmosphere, refreshing cocktails and vibrant, award-winning Nuevo Latino cuisine.¡Oba! Restaurante opened in Portland, Oregon in October 1997 by owner Steve McLain. Executive Chef Scott Neuman’s innovative cuisine, explores vibrant flavors from Spain, Portugal, the Caribbean and across the Americas. ¡Oba!‘s menu is where bold latin traditions, spices and preparations meet seasonal, local ingredients. Creating a festive, friendly setting in which guests feel welcome and nurtured is ¡Oba!’s ultimate goal. ¡Oba!’s inventive cuisine, stunning design, hand-crafted cocktails and commitment to excellent guest service have sustained a solid following and 15 successful years.
Roswell, Georgia
“One of the BEST meals of my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We walked around the Pearl District and stumbled upon Oba. Looked at the menu and decided to give it a try. Our waiter asked us if we had ever been there and we said no, we are from Atlanta. He took our drink order and came back with the Coconut Prawn Appetizer on the house. My husband had the prime rib and I had the swordfish. This was over 5 years ago and I think about that meal often. It was one of the best of my life. After we were done with dinner the owner brought us a banana fosters dessert on the house and thanked us for coming to try their restaurant. To be so nice to people from out of town just amazed me. I mean it's not like we were going to be repeat customers. I did however go back again for work and ate there twice in a 3 day period and I had a friend move to Portland and I recommended Oba to them and it has now become one of their favorite restaurants.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Great service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

My first time in Portland and if this restaurant is how you are treated when you are here, I'm coming back. Originally our group was five but as we reached the restaurant this was upped to seven, no problem for them. The waitress was very knowledgable about the food and wines and explained everything and gave recommendations which some of the party tried. The salads were very good but the Gaucho prime rib was excellent with amazing seasoning. The lemon sorbet was a great way to finish the meal. Wine was from Spain and excellent, it complimented the food and I would definitely come back again.

Visited October 2013
Mill Creek, Washington
“Lovely Evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I went to Portland for the weekend and enjoyed dinner at Oba. We had reservations and were seated on time in a booth that allowed us to watch the rest of the restaurant. We did not have any of the entrees and made a meal of several tapas so that we could enjoy several different dishes. The food was very good and we especially enjoyed the coconut shrimp, the shrimp with arugula pesto and the roasted corn dip. Our least favorite was the calamari which was not as crispy as we would have liked.

The atmosphere was lovely and made it feel like a special night out. The service was very professional and friendly but not hovering. Knowing that we were having several tapas as dinner the servers paced the meal making sure that not everything arrived at once but was paced for a enjoyable meal.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Dessert is everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The atmosphere and service transport you to an international spot with flare. Two cookies and a muscatel make a visit to the lively Andina a must. The avocado and crab shrimp dish is yummy. I was not pleased by the two crab shells, but the taste was good. However, the sweet scallops were charred too much for my taste. In spite of those issues, the dessert saves the day.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
medford, oregon
“Delightful romantic evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Wife and I went on a Thursday night. Superb waiter made suggestions and wine choice. Wife had a beet salad she loved, we shared the table side guacamole, I had octopus civici, and finished with garlic shrimp; menu is unique and extensive. Delightful atmosphere and a fun romantic evening. Recommend you go!

Visited October 2013