“Great for a pre play dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Veritable Quandary

Veritable Quandary
1220 SW 1st Ave, Portland, OR 97204-3201 (Downtown)
503-227-7342
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 3,687 Restaurants in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
vancouver, wa
“Great for a pre play dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you are there in the summer ask to eat outside. Good menu, little noisy , also has great lunches, hamburgers are good.

Visited July 2012

Seattle
“Great Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My guy and I went here as part of a much needed getaway. Its near the hotel we were staying at and also had caught our eye on earlier trip. While we did not make reservations we were able to snag a table in the bar. They have the full menu there as well.
The feel is dim and romantic and we stated with a awesome virgin mojito for me (quite drink years ago) rum and coke for him. Then we shared a seared steak beet salad with gorgonzola cheese. Usually go for more mellow cheese but this one was well suited to all palates.
We both opted for fish as our mains. I had sole with creamy quinoa with mushrooms and truffles. This was a PERFECT plate of food. Fish was moist and truffle was just right. He had sturgeon with mashed yucca and black beans with citrus sauce as well. Reading about it on the menu, ex professional chef here, thought it sounded....well like a challenge to make on the higher end of the scale. And they really did pull it off, Fish was again well done and not over and the yucca was pillowly perfection.
We did not get dessert as we had....well we did not want to get too full. We will be going back again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sydney
“Excellent food and reasonable prices, but sadly lacking local wines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

On our last night in Portland, we ate dinner at the Veritable Quandary restaurant on local recommendation. I thought the location was convenient, however in the evening the external signage which appeared to only show as "VQ" was difficult to ascertain as the Veritable Quandary restaurant. I think slightly better signage could help intending diners unfamiliar with the location or the city.Nevertheless, the service was prompt and we were provided with excellent food. Sadly, the wine list was overwhelmingly foreign which as a visiter to Oregon was very disappointing given the superb quality of pinot noir coming from the State. I was told the local patrons are keen to try foreign wines, which frankly I was surprised given how effusive the Portland people I had met were about the local pinot noir.

However, as a dining experience, I can thoroughly recommend the restaurant to intending diners, especially visitors to Portland, however try to obtain a table at the rear away from the bar area which is very noisy. The seafood and salads were very good, and the portion sizes were really quite large.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canby, Oregon
“Great waiter!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Food and waiter were great. We are going to try their weekend brunch next time we are in town. Their open until midnight with a great bar menu.

Visited February 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A must for lunch or dinner, if you are in downtown Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Last week I enjoyed lunch at Veritable Quandary. This was my first experience at the restaurant, but I do not intend for it to be my last. The server was prompt, attentive and pleasant. I enjoyed the preparation of the fish and my luncheon companion the seafood stew. Her stew looked terrific, had a tempting aroma and was full of various types of seafood. My fish was undercooked just enough to leave it moist and succulent. The prices were reasonable and the portions were definitely sufficient. I definitely recommend this long-time Portland favorite and plan to return in the not to distant future. I have no doubt that most diners would also enjoy the menu options and the very good meal preparations! There is nothing negative to say about this fine restaruant!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere