“Worth every penny” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Veritable Quandary

Veritable Quandary
1220 SW 1st Ave, Portland, OR 97204-3201 (Downtown)
503-227-7342
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 3,617 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: Downtown
Bothell, Washington
“Worth every penny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We are from Seattle and were visiting Portland on business. We also happened to be celebrating our anniversary. We sifted through many wonderful restaurant choices and settled on VQ because of it's rave reviews and quaint atmosphere. We stepped inside a bustling bar and after a bit of confusion found the host booth at the end of the bar. We made reservations several days in advance and asked for outdoor seating upon arrival. We were notified that it was all booked up and were a bit let down considering our reservations. We got over it quickly as we realized that the patio does indeed provide a nice atmosphere on a warm day/night but the inside also offers it's own unique and lovely ambiance with the exposed brick, intimate booths and white linens. Our waitress was awesome and very knowledgeable about the menu (including the drink choices). Our meals were fantastic and worth every penny.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“overrated...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

crowded, poor service, coffee old and too strong, soup overrated, would not recommend this restaurant for traveler to portland, oregon...prices high for not to much to offer...menu is relatively limited...having said all that , the owner? was pleasant and apologized because the restaurant was so busy and apologized as well for the surly waitress....

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great "Find"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Appears to be small local eatery from outside but has large dining room beyond long bar (and open kitchen). Nice menu, good execution and friendly servers. Very popular with locals. Went for Saturday brunch at 12:45 PM and could not get table -- got last two seats at bar. We were well-served by bar tender and everyone at bar was interacting with fellow diners. "Very happening".

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxford
“Excellent food but lacking in charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have to admit that the food at "Veritable Quandary" was on the whole excellent and top drawer but the atmosphere left somewhat to be desired. My husband and I were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary during our holiday in Oregon and he chose this restaurant for what he thought would be a Romantic evening out.

First we were made to wait in the bar area for over twenty minutes ( despite having arrived at precisely the time we had reservations for) , a noisy and pub-like area which I must admit did not feel particularly special. We were then moved to our table which was a booth ( he had specified he wanted to be in the quietest part of the restaurant) near the once again noisy coffee machine and waiter station.... Oh the Romance !!

Service was perfectly friendly but in a rather stilted and almost "robotic" fashion , efficient but without any warmth or real charm.

Our starters and main courses were absolutely delicious,my Osso Bucco was possibly one of the best I have ever tasted ( my Grand-Father is Italian and it is one of his speciality so I am rather fussy when it comes to this dish)and the Rabbit Pate on Brioche a beautifully executed piece of "Charcuterie".

The Chocolate Souffle was a bit disappointing being rather dense and lacking the lightness of touch such a dish should have , the hot chocolate sauce being however delicious and moreish.

Food wise I think I would on the whole find little fault at all but I was disappointed by a feeling of being only a "number" and the atmosphere is definitely more reminiscent of a bar than a top notch restaurant.

I appreciate that Portland is a casual city but having people on their laptops in the main dining room is to me utterly bizarre. And ruins what should have been a Romantic and quiet evening.

Hubby was disappointed that he had not got the table he had asked for ( and assured he would get) in the main dining room with views towards the river and we definitely felt like "customers" rather than "guests" and our bill was presented to us as soon as our Souffle had been finished which is a little premature and dare I say rude considering we might have wanted Coffee, post prandial drinks etc...

All in all a mixed evening, great food, adequate service but an atmosphere I would most definitely not recommend for a special evening. Not a place to propose for example ! Unless you want to share it with people in baseball caps typing away on their smartphones and using their laptops at the table.... It would be a perfect place for a boisterous party of friends, being so loud and bustling however.

Am I truly the only person left on the planet who believes a restaurant is not a place for laptops and other electronic gadgets ?

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stamford, Connecticut
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

One of the better meals I can remember eating! Service was perfect and food was outstanding. Worth a trip from anywhere in the area

Visited October 2012