“Great food and service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dragonwell Bistro

Dragonwell Bistro
735 SW First Ave, Portland, OR 97204 (Downtown)
(503) 224-0800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dragonwell Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #217 of 3,538 restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW Yamhill
Transit: Conveniently next to the SW Yamhill Max Station in Downtown Portland
Description: Dragonwell Bistro is centrally located in Downtown Portland at SW 1st and Yamhill by next to the MAX Yamhill Station. If you dare, come inside and take a look, this is not your ordinary Chinese Restaurant. when you walk in, you will be greeted with an Upscale Bistro with high ceilings and a full spacious bar along with the Newer decorations Owner Jack Brought back from China. The smell of the food will make you want to sit down, and one taste of any of their popular dishes some of which was brought back by Jack from the 20 years of travelling in China. will keep you coming back time after time. If you are a visit, be sure to flag Jack down to give you some suggested place to go, as he grew up here in Portland but have live in Portland, San Francisco, LA, New York and Asia for the past 20 years. We love visitors, from all over!!
Portland, Oregon
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Food was inexpensive, high quality and tastes very good. The crispy shrimp were excellent! As was the fried eggplant and the dumpling appetizer.

• Visited August 2013
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your visit to Dragonwell, we just hope your visit was a pleasant and enjoyable one. It is customers like yourself that keep us improving our service and food. Thank you for your comments and all of us here really appreciate your visit. Hope to see you again!

Jack Chu, Owner

85% Recommend
Portland, Oregon
“Super fresh food, not salty and no MSG”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was a special treat, to find a Chinese restaurant that featured fresh flavors and non-salty, non-MSG, non- corn starchy dishes. I went to Dragonwell with two friends - we each ordered different dishes and all three were fabulous. I will be back, this is an excellent downtown Portland eatery and the prices were very reasonable.

• Visited July 2013
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Poppyshed,
Thank you for visiting us at Dragonwell with your friend. We really appreciate your highlighting what we pay most attention to, which is the freshness of our food. We pride ourself on paying attention to making sure our customers and clients will have the best dinning experience here at Dragonwell. And if we are not doing that, please make sure you let me know personally and we will make it right. Again, it is our honor someone who appreciate our attention to quality and we aprreciate your visit.

Jack Chu
“Overrated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Ridiculously overrated.
Below average Chinese food. So disappointed to have wasted a dinner out on my recent trip to Portland. Incredibly salty food. "Fake " looking chicken. There are so many other fine restaurants in Portland to choose from. The rating on Trip advisor is ridiculous. Trust me. Pass on this place. The place was near empty when we went which should have made us turn around but we were stupid. Don't make the same mistake we did.

Visited July 2013
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hello Brian,
I am sorry that you experience at Dragonwell was an unpleasant one. I personally talk to many of our customers who comes from all over the World to visit us. The comments from them are mostly align with the reviews here at TripAdvisor. As for the emptiness of the restaurant, you must not have come on the weekends since we are usually pretty busy on the weekends. Since this is a downtown location, other than tourist most of our regular clients which comes as far as Seattle and Bend Oregon, they can only come on the weekends, as most people from our lunch crowd go home after work. That being said, your unpleasant experience is real and I want to personally apologize for your bad experence, as I understand our food are not for everyone as I don't like to eat some type of food when I eat out too. If I can do more to fix this, please feel free to email me from my website at: http://www.dragonwellbistro.com Thank you for your visit!
Washington, DC
“great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

lovely place with fantastic food. The waiter told us it was the best chinese food in Portland and he was right! The food was delicious, prepared at the moment. They were also very accommodating with my 5 year old daughter who likes noodles but not spicy sauce.
The owner is very friendly and all the staff too.

Visited June 2013
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
One of the best dinning experience was from my friend taking me out in Washington DC and the restaurant was great, but my friends told me there are lots of great restaurants in DC. So a review such as this coming from you means a lot to us all at Dragonwell, as you have a lot to compare. Thank you for your visit, and yes we prepare most of our food fresh so you can adjust to your taste as you please, and i am glad you ask for that. Thank you for your business, hope we can see you again the next time you visit Portland!!

Jack
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great food, people and service in downtown Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I were staying at the nearby Hotel 50 and came across the Dragonwell Bistro on our way back from an evening of exploring the area. We were so glad we stopped. We entered and were immediately greeted warmly by John who was the bartender. We sat at the bar as we usually do and looked over their interesting cocktail menu. There were so many great choices we didn't know what to try but John made some suggestions which we tried. They were great. While we were looking over the menu the owner Jack came over to introduce himself and welcome us. Jack was very genuine and we really enjoyed talking to him. We could tell he really takes great interest in his restaurant and those who visit it. We ordered appetizers and dinners and all were very good. We recommend if you are in the area you stop by the Dragonwell and experience the gracious owner and staff, you won't be disappointed. Thanks Jack and John, hope to see you again in the future.

• Visited June 2013
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
It was so nice have you and your wife come so far away to visit us. As I have travelled over 2 million miles in my business in the past 15 years, I know the feeling of being a visitor and how important a meal is for the trip. That's why we make sure we are there to greet you and share some of the best spot to visit in our city. Food is but just one aspect of the total dinning experience, as I always said, and we want you to have a great experience here at Dragonwell. Thank you for letting us do that, and hope we get to see you or your friends at our place. We appreciate you visit for sure!!

Jack