“This is where to go for great food -Irene is the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dragonwell Bistro

Dragonwell Bistro
735 SW First Ave, Portland, OR 97204 (Downtown)
(503) 224-0800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dragonwell Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #299 of 3,629 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW Yamhill
Transit: Conveniently next to the SW Yamhill Max Station in Downtown Portland
Description: Dragonwell Bistro is centrally located in Downtown Portland at SW 1st and Yamhill by next to the MAX Yamhill Station. If you dare, come inside and take a look, this is not your ordinary Chinese Restaurant. when you walk in, you will be greeted with an Upscale Bistro with high ceilings and a full spacious bar along with the Newer decorations Owner Jack Brought back from China. The smell of the food will make you want to sit down, and one taste of any of their popular dishes some of which was brought back by Jack from the 20 years of travelling in China. will keep you coming back time after time. If you are a visit, be sure to flag Jack down to give you some suggested place to go, as he grew up here in Portland but have live in Portland, San Francisco, LA, New York and Asia for the past 20 years. We love visitors, from all over!!
Half Moon Bay, California
“This is where to go for great food -Irene is the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Thanks Irene for introducing us to Champagne Chicken
The spicy chicken is wonderful too
Beautiful wraps
Great cocktails - Oriental Passion for tequila lovers and Pendleton Blush for whiskey lovers!
If you are in Portland - Do not miss this place!!!!!!!

Visited May 2013
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for your visit, we are so glad that we were able to take good care of you. You satisfaction is always our number goal here at Dragonwell Bistro. Hope to see you again soon! Jack

Tennessee, USA
“Xiao long bao worth trying”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Post intro to XLB in Shanghai a few years ago, we have enjoyed searching across the US for similar delicacies. The Dragonwell has recently added XLB and they were flavorful and served nicely, but, as typical of prepared-ahead bao, the filling had shrunken and the wrapper was too thick. With the jia jia tang bao in Shanghai as ten, and Shanghai dumpling shop in Milbrae, CA near SFO as six, Dragonwell is four and most of the shops around DC three or less. So, a four rating is fine to satisfy your XLB craving, and the serving staff at Dragonwell were pleasant and helpful. Enjoy!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Incline Village, Nevada
“Over rated in downtown Portland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The service was excellent and the place was empty. Only four of us in this large restaurant. The potsticker appetizer was excellent, but the dinner went downhill from there. The kung pow shrimp had almost no flavor and was not very spicy...the shrimp had a very fishy flavor. The chef's chicken special was better, but still not great. Probably okay for lunch, but I wouldn't go again...there was a reason no one else was in the restaurant.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Found hair in food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Wow, I don't know why this place is rated so high.

I had gone with coworkers before and then one day went in for a late lunch. The place wasn't busy at all but service was slow in not friendly. After what seemed like forever, I got my meal and I found hair on my food. Thick black hair just laying visibly there. Waiter didn't apologize and I waited for a replacement. After that though, I'm never going back.

Plenty of better options around.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
jcmchu, Owner at Dragonwell Bistro, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
I am sorry for what happened at our restaurant. This sort if thing des happen, and sure puts a great meal into a bad one. I hope you let our server know, as it is always our policy to make things right for all of our value customers. We have our high rating because it is true that we strife to make sure our customers are satisfy. And as a human being, we admit that we are not 100% of the time, but you can be sure we try hard to. Thank you for your comment and we will listen and improve. Again, sorry about your bad experience here. We all feel bad too!
Indio, California
“Superior Happy Hour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I used to make fun of my now late parents who enjoyed eating early to take advantage of the lower prices and smaller crowds at their favorite restaurants. Now that I am retired, I understand (belated apology to mom & dad) and I can use that same strategy.

My parents would have loved this place -- my wife and I loved it even more! Was that the ghost of my mother's voice in my head? "What's that -- I didn't get any of that". All of our choices featured deep and rich flavors (General Tso Chicken, Salt & Pepper Calamari, Pork Lo Mien, Chicken Satay, Special Bao, & Spring Rolls) plus two drinks from a full bar -- one from the designer list (a perfectly mixed lemon drop) and a gin & tonic. It was plenty of carefully prepared and presented food and the entire bill was under $45 including the drinks!

Happy Hour starts at 4:30 and goes until 6 during the week. A quick look at the dinner menu and was impressed with the selection - but the prices do get a bit on the high side. Since we often dine on several appetizers and no main course when eating out, this was a terrific choice for an early dinner.

Mom & Dad would have been proud (and envious!)

• 5 of 5 stars Food