“Filet Mignon and Parmesan crusted sole” 4 of 5 stars
Review of McCormick & Schmick's Harborside at the Marina

McCormick & Schmick's Harborside at the Marina
0309 SW Montgomery St, Portland, OR 97201-5125 (Downtown)
(503) 220-1865
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
McCormick & Schmick's Harborside at the Marina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #574 of 3,629 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Pacific Rim
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW River
Transit: The Portland Street car stops one block from our door.
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Filet Mignon and Parmesan crusted sole”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Beautiful evening for eating outside with a view overlooking the marina and city lights. As you walk by, all the tables outside say, "Reserved" but know they are reserved for people just walking by who want to stop for a bite to eat (like you). I did not know that and assumed they were full up for dinner until I asked the hostess. So, now that you know that, you should know that it is also very busy on the promenade so try to get a table on the river side instead of the walk side so you won't be sniffed by dogs or hit by bicycles (who should be walking their bikes anyway but hey, this is Portland and bicyclists aren't required to follow any laws, right?). We had a mojito, and I'm not really sure of the reason other than we wanted to try something new. It wasn't for me but on a hotter day, maybe. Wife ordered the filet mignon and contrary to their Bridgeport location, was a healthy sized steak but it came with a whole bowl of potatoes and about 15 green beans. Expensive but done right and tasted great. I had the parmesan crusted sole after being told they ran out of beef medallions so I wasn't expecting a whole lot. However, the fish was very good, although a little bit greasy but still excellent considering they dealt two filets, nice tasting pasta and green beans. Service was excellent and although we sat outside, we did notice the tiered tables inside so almost every table has an excellent view of the river and downtown city lights. Happy hour in the bar and at a small area near the west end of the promenade. Overall expensive but worth it when you get the great service and view instead of nice view and mediocre service. Thank you!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Glendora, California
“Close to disgusting based on food quality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

The drinks and service were fine, but..... I'm still regretting paying so much for a less than average dinner. I had the seared ahi. It was a small portion sliced and served cold. It was accompanied with a cucumber salad...about two tablespoons and mostly onion with a few slivers of cucumber and some seaweed. My husband had the worst clam chowder which was a clumpy glob of potatoes and onions and hardly any clams. He also had the creamed spinach which was lukewarm and sour tasting with big chunks of onion. Good grief, season with something more creative than onion! We will never go back. Must just be a tourist attraction location and don't care anything about food quality. Eat at the Newport Seafood Grill located in front of it on a dock. They have great clam chowder and grilled steelhead.

Visited August 2014
Media, Pennsylvania
“nice dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

nice dinner with a great view of the willamette river. we all had seafood which was very good.
we've been to mmc&s restaurants before, knowing what to expect and we werent disappointed although it was our first time to this one

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, WA
“Decent food, Questionable service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Just got back from McCormick & Schmick's Harborside. The dinner was good and a nice place at 30 a plate, 120+ tab with tip.

I hesitate to go that area because parking is difficult, but they give a parking validation so I decided to try it. Well, the validation must come from the manager and you have to wait for him to get a blue parking validation ticket...no little stamp or something. I tried to use the $4 parking credit, but the voice response from the parking machine was invalid parking ticket. I tried all orientations and looked at the instructions on the machine...yep I was doing it right. I had to pay for the parking...couldn't really repark to ask him for another credit.

I decided to take a risky front parking spot to mention this to the manager as it put a damper on what had been a nice evening. The manager had closely inspected the ticket before he gave it to me, oddly so, I thought,...kinda strange.

Well I find him again and mention the bad parking ticket. He shuffles through his tickets and states"they just gave me these". I told him it says 2/29/2014 and indicates expired when I use it. I handed him the invalid ticket. He offered me another parking ticket and I told him that won't do me any good, I did not repark the car and come to talk to him, I paid to get out of the parking. He says"Well sorry..." and I said "Thats it?....Pretty cheesy" .

I mean, I hate to confront people and I don't like to get angry, public fuss and all that but his response as a manager was awful. I guess I need to get loud and angry when stuff like this happens. He could have easily offered a drink at the bar, a credit, anything, but he did not. The close examination by the manager when he gave it to me indicated to me he saw it was a 6 month old parking ticket. I won't go back, crappy treatment after an expensive dinner.

Definitely ruined our evening, I mean leaving I felt ripped off even if it was just the parking validation..

I guess I could have left my wife on her cane with her broken foot brace and reparked, asked, the manager for another ticket, gone back and tried to get out of the parking with another $4 validation ticket.....but that didn't seem reasonable. Thanks for a crappy night McCormicks....definitely ruined things for us. Won't come back.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
ft.lauderdale, florida
“Once and done with this restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

First off this is a total tourist trap.when you spend over a $100 easy for dinner, i dont want to be sitting around people in shorts and sandals that they take off their feet. Eait staff was average at best as was service. I would not recommend this place. Do yourself a favor, walk a few feet to Three Degrees and enjoy your dinner. Dungenous tower was average at best, clam chowder was congeniled and i think there was a clam but i sure know it was a potatoe soup, lets face it. Steelhead crusted trout was overly horseradished and i cant understand where crusted came in. Couldnt leave fast enough and never bothered with dessert. If you are a foodie...avoid!

Visited August 2014