“Always delighted with the wonderful cafe'.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Always delighted with the wonderful cafe'.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Even though I am not a dreadlocked Bohemian, as earlier reviewer seems to think is the clientele of this cafe', I am a person who enjoys well-prepared, delicious food. The Paradox is on the list of first place to eat when visitidng Portland. My BBQ tempeh salad was not only sublime but also enormous! The corn cake was full-flavored and may require a return trip soon just for more! My daughter had her usual Paradox Benedict and had little to say as she savred it!
Our server was very polite and attentive and food was delivered quickly, even though the noon rush was in full swing.
Thanks for a wonderful welcome to Portland!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Georgia
“Made this vegetarian happy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very casual, very tasty. Go hungry. Tempheh that actually tastes good, corn cakes with some heat in the garnish. Huge serving of potato cakes more like glorified hash browns. Don't expect fancy, just enjoy browsing all menu options and get full.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“love the atmosphere and love the gravy :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

So I haven't been here in a while, I like to go to a variety of places that I can have a wide selection of choices being vegan... I have always been able to count on getting a great vegan breakfast here... really the only difference for me was that they have enlarged their seating area which is great ( I used to have to wait in line). I had the HOG which is like a biscuits and gravy but better... the coffee was excellent. The one thing that would have made this perfect is that I was feeling like a mimosa or a bloody Mary but they don't serve any alcohol drinks. The server was great. She was super friendly, funny and our food came out very quickly. I love this place!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Surrey, Canada
“Not for us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The plan was to eat at Pine State Biscuits, but they were closed so we walked down the street. This place was open and the kids were hungry. We were in for a shock. We think we even shocked the server as we are so NOT into dreadlocks or any style of Bohemian so when we walked in it was obvious we were in the wrong restaurant.

The server sat us at a table of 4 even though there were 5 of us. Did not provide enough utensils for us, mind you we all ate meals that really only used our hands.

At first I saw the cheesesteak and that is what I was going to have, but then my wife asked me if it came with beef, It didn't. So I had the burger. When I ordered the burger the sercver asked vegie or beef and I just looked at her and replied "Beef".

My wife had a salad between two pieces of bread. The lettuce piled in the sandwich was over 2 inches thick.

My kids had a hard time picking something to eat, then ended up with grilled cheese and a burger.

Price of meal was somewhere around $30 but as we ended up eating within a few hours later (as it was a lite meal) it was not worth it to us.

Overall - if you are into Vegetarian meals this place might be for you - for us, who enjoy meat, it was not.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I like to eat - they fed me well. Staff is a little bohemian-snobby. But there is nothing wrong with a little bit of arrogance Thumbs up!

Visited October 2011