“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Heathman Restaurant & Bar

Heathman Restaurant & Bar
1001 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205-3004 (Downtown)
(503) 790-7752
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Heathman Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #112 of 3,621 Restaurants in Portland
Cross street: Salmon
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Very fancy and pleasant place, but not cheap. Worth it if you've got the money but I would not recommend it if you are only going to have one night eating at an expensive restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oregon
“Downtoen and art”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

great central location-historic hotel. Wonderful food and original Andy Warhols. A delightful tea at Christmas in a castle like dining area with ggorgeous tree.

Moose Jaw
“Looking for something "special"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

When you are looking for that restaurant with that special atmosphere; for romance, or for a meeting with a business colleague, the Heathman has the decor and the people who can make your occasion a success.

The decor is the historical classic style complete with the high paneled walls and a hundred year old chandelier, seating is comfortable with many options of booth versus, table and chair on the main floor. We didn't explore the second floor.

The menu had selections such as venison, sturgeon, and some other fish. A unique selection. There was a three piece band, something that reportedly occurs on a regular basis.
The wine list is extensive, ranging from the upper low end of pricing, to the beyond.

The pricing, considering the venue,viewing the menu for this occasion, is surprisingly reasonable considering the type of restaurant and what is offered on the menu. More, mid-range than upper end. Service was great from the hostess, to the waiters. Consider that it was supposed to be reservation only, we were accommodated.

The place was full before we arrived just after dinner, and again, it filled just after the concert next door ended. So, it seems to be a popular choice for many.

So, again, if something special is on your search list, then the Heathman should be a place to consider. It's a classic.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Grass Valley, California
“Amazing Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had made reservations there 2 years ago but missed them and when we did arrive they were closed. We were very disappointed. Then this last weekend we were visiting Portland with friends and we were looking for someplace to eat breakfast. We were walking by the Heathman and they were serving, we checked out the menu and it looked really great. We went in and were seated immediately even though we did not have reservations and it was pretty busy. The hostess checked all of our coats for us. The whole staff was gracious and courteous. I had the duck confit hash, my husband had the Kahlua pork biscuits & gravy. They were out of this world awesome! It was so good we went back the next morning (Sunday) it was packed with people and again we had no reservations and were seated immediately and given a window seat. We had a great experience and can't wait to go back and try dinner or lunch.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“If you're paying for attitude, you'll definitely get your money's worth.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have a very special memory from when I was little, when my father took my sister and I to the ballet, and then the Heathman for dinner.

It was the first time I ever had rabbit, and the memory stuck with me. It was garnished with pistachios and they had at least four different kinds of bread. I was 5 years old, and awestruck.

I tell that story a lot, and my boyfriend listens. I've been having a hard time recently after having graduated into a really tough job market. I'm stressed, having health problems, and living with my parents, so he decided to treat me to another special dinner at the Heathman for my 26th birthday.

He wouldn't tell me where we were going, and when we finally stopped in front of the beautiful old building, my jaw dropped. I was so excited, it was so thoughtful, this was going to be the best birthday dinner EVER.

Nobody acknowledged us when we walked in. I awkwardly asked another couple if they had already spoken to a hostess, or if they were waiting for someone to show their face at the front desk. They said they were just waiting to be seated and had already checked in for their reservation.

Close to fifteen minutes pass when a hostess finally stops at the front desk to make a phone call, it was too loud to hear anything she said. When she hung up I (very politely) got her attention and asked if we could check in, since we had a reservation. She looked at us with disdain, paused, and said "this way." No smile, no "sorry for the wait," just those two words. She sat us between the front door and a group of drunk businessmen, then walked away without another word. My boyfriend barely had enough space to pull his chair out. I was freezing. Nobody said anything to us for quite a while, I'd say at least another 10 minutes. Finally a man (who didn't identify himself as a server or say anything to us) came and poured our water. He didn't even let us know when someone would be with us, and briskly walked away before we had a chance to ask.

Here's the deal. I get that the Heathman is busy, that's why my boyfriend made reservations. As a matter of fact, he specifically mentioned that it was my birthday and I had very fond memories of the place, so he wanted to do something special. They promised him that it would definitely live up to our expectations. He asked about the menu and was told that it fluctuated depending on the "season." He asked how to dress and was told "dressy casual."

He isn't from Portland and had never been to the Heathman. He wore nice jeans and a button up and I wore a dress with light green tights and cowgirl boots (one scenario where it's apparently frowned upon to have a personality). People gave us the up and down right when we walked in. Nobody smiled, not even once.

My boyfriend asked what looked good and it broke my heart to say "nothing..." I've had venison before, and now that I'm an adult, I realize it's not worth $40 for a tiny entree, especially when we're being treated so poorly. We didn't even get bread. We were on time for our reservation, and it still took an hour to acknowledge us (barely), seat us (poorly), and get us some water. He did something so thoughtful for me and the Heathman quite literally ruined it. We put two dollars on the table as a small apology for drinking their water, and then we ditched. We walked all the way to Burnside and ended up at Mazatlan, which was the only place where there wasn't a wait. We had average Mexican food (although the steak in the steak tacos was amazingly tender and well seasoned), paid average prices, and listened to people sing Will Smith's "Welcome to Miami" (poorly)... but it was still better than the Heathman. As a matter of fact, I would recommend Mazatlan over the Heathman any day.

If you're the kind of person who equates class or status with money, or thinks that people deserve to be treated based solely on their appearance or the health of their 401k... You are the scourge of our society. You are actively making Portland a worse place, and I think you should leave. Seriously.

There are amazing restaurants all over town that have local, organic, healthy, exotic dining options complete with a wonderful atmosphere and friendly staff. For example, Equinox on N. Shaver street has amazing Risotto, a beautiful outdoor seating area, and wonderful, friendly accommodating staff. Seems to be something that Portland is short on these days.

Dear Heathman: Were it not for my amazing boyfriend, you probably would have ruined my birthday. Shame on you for overcharging based on your "status" rather than actual merit.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere