“Nice Bistro near the show venue” 4 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Market
200 SW Market St, Ste P101, Portland, OR 97201-5700 (Formerly Carafe)
503-248-0004
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Nice Bistro near the show venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Carafe was highly reccomended by a friend, but we decided to go there also because it is near the Keller Auditorium where our Mary Poppins tickets were. We sat outside on a nice Portland late afternoon and were treated with a couple of decent glasses of wine. I opted for their ham sandwich and pomme frites. My wife had the veggie sandwich and my dauther had the hotdog in a crepe. the food was very tasty and very fresh. The atmosphere outside was nice. We got to do some people watching as folks headed toward the performance. I wish Trip advisor had half stars. I would rate Carafe about 3 and a half. A bit between average and very good. We will return possibly the next time we see a show.

• Visited June 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Mount Angel, Oregon
“Good for a quick, before-theatre meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

but couldn't really recommend either the French Onion soup (way too sweet) or the salad (greens with maybe 1/2 tsp. of dressing), but great bread, good wine and a lovely dessert. Service was good and I liked that parking was paid for and that the restaurant is so convenient to the Keller.

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Oily”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

The place is convenient and small, the decor quite cute. Staff at first were friendly, then disappeared.

The food prices are pretty much average. The menu limited and different. I appreciate new things and different combinations.

The chef needs to back off on the oil. The salad was tasteless and oily. The sandwich had no flavor at all other than the roasted red peppers - the ham was tough and bland - the aioli was piled on thickly and was incredibly oily. The bread was too hard to bite into. My husband is easy to please in the food department and his opinion was "weird".

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Avoid at all costs if going to an event at the Keller Auditorium! This review has two parts. First attempted to go...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

Avoid at all costs if going to an event at the Keller Auditorium! This review has two parts. First attempted to go here a couple of months ago. When we tried to go we were simply told "no more service." This was about an hour and half before the play started and I'm positive people were leaving. However, the hostess didn't wait around to answer any questions. Rude...but it is a French bistro.

Gave it a second try yesterday. Arrived two hours before the play and were seated this time. Received water, bread and our 1/2 litre of wine with no problems. About 40 minutes after ordering our meal, my wife asks the waiter to check on the food since many people that arrived after us had received their orders. She added that we were here for the play, to which the waiter snidely retorted "So is everyone else."
Shortly thereafter, the waiter sheepishly returned to inform us that "somehow the kitchen never got the ticket for our meals, but it'll be out quickly." Hmmm.
Most of the food did arrive within 10 minutes. The fries were thick and OK, but not up to the quality of many other places in Portland. My wife had a beet salad that was overwhelmed by the blue cheese. Her farmers salad was OK.
I had ordered an escargot and a rabbit appetizer. The escargot arrived and was flavorless. Please, add some garlic. I have had better escargot on a Holland cruise ship. The rabbit appetizer never arrived, and the waiter never returned until I caught a different server and asked her to fetch him.
No apologies for missing one appetizer, but at least they didn't try to charge us for it.

Marco Island, Florida
“very disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Four of us ate dinner here in June, 2010. A city-wide special 3-course menu choice was going on and we all decided to take advantage of it. The appetizers were terrific, but the entree (we all chose the fish) was so small (literally three bites of fish on a bed of greens) we all just looked at each other and gulped. It's not often that we travel, make a point at eating out at nice restaurants, and leave the places hungry.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere