“Excellent food and service - but avoid sitting by the kitchen” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Higgins Restaurant and Bar

Higgins Restaurant and Bar
1239 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97205-2915 (Downtown)
503-222-9070
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Higgins Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 3,621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Neighborhood: Downtown
Culver City, California
“Excellent food and service - but avoid sitting by the kitchen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

There are two dining areas at Higgins: the Bistro and the Restaurant. Each also has a separate menu. I chose to eat in the Restaurant, thinking it would be a little quieter and more elegant - and I also liked the menu offerings in the restaurant better than the Bistro. The food and service were excellent. I started with the Beet Salad. This is unusual for me, as I'm not a big fan of beets - but it was described well on the menu .......and it was indeed incredible. My entree was the halibut, and it could not have been better.

My complaint was with my table. I didn't notice it right away, but the longer I sat there, the more annoying it became, There is a table at the back of the restaurant at an awkward position. And all the waitstaff must go by you and say "Corner" as they round the corner into the kitchen. They must do this as it is a tight corner - and they want to avoid a collision. Fortunately, there was no collision with me sitting at the vulnerable table - or with the waitstaff running into each other. But it became annoying after about one hour. The restaurant was packed, so I didn't complain. But ...........if you see yourself guided towards this table when you are being seated, please be forewarned.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

st louis,mo
“great food, great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

great variety of food. excellent knowledgeable server. excellent wine list. good values for a restaurant. very diverse menu

Visited October 2012
New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Downtown Portland Hit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

If you are looking for a really good meal, you'll find it here. The evening after the half marathon, we were famished, and the food here more than satisfied us. For starters, you are served thick, dense whole wheat bread, which could be a meal in itself. We enjoyed it with the arugula salad that is easily big enough for two. The beer list is amazing; there were so many to choose from that it was difficult to decide on one. The waitress returned three times before we could make up our minds. There are a lot of foreign beers and surprisingly not many Oregon beers, which was a disappointment. For our entree, we had the scallops, which were local and delicious. If you split a meal, there is a $3 extra charge, which is worth it because they put it on two plates. Our meals were so filling that we had no room for dessert. Because the dining room was packed, we ate in the bar area, which was quite pleasant. Since this is a very popular place with locals and tourists, reservations are highly recommended.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“Wonderful Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Enjoyed the zucchini fritters and my husband had the tuna and liked it as well. Good wine list and relatively quiet restaurant. Looked like a lot of repeat customers as we went on a weekday and not too many tourists.

Visited October 2012
Portland, OR
“One of Portland's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Love the bar, which is quite casual, as opposed to the linen table cloths out front. Spectacular food either way.

Visited April 2012