“Great Food and Service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Bluehour is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #438 of 3,282 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Everett
Transit: Bluehour is located three blocks west of the NW 10th and Everett stop of the Portland Street Car.
Description: Bluehour means different things to different people. In French literature it describes any time of day "of heightened emotion." In Portland it has come to mean "a great place to dine." As the premier modern restaurant in the Pearl District, Bluehour opened its doors in 2000, with what Gourmet Magazine describes as, "the most sophisticated, contemporary food in town." Guests choose between the elegant dining room or the casual cafe and bar. Simple, delicious and classic describes the Mediterranean cuisine we create in the Bluehour kitchen each night. The menu is printed daily, but Bluehour standards remain, like the pillowy potato gnocchi with black truffle and the perfectly seared, bacon wrapped sea scallops. Our cheese cart is among the finest on the West Coast, featuring regional and international artisan cheeses.
portland or
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

One of the best restaurants in Portland. Northewest cuisine (dishes use Northwest ingredients) that sparkles, a very good wine list (if a little pricey), and spotless service.

Visited December 2012
BluehourPortland, Owner at Bluehour, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi there—I'm thrilled to hear your enthusiastic feedback. Thanks for your support. Bluehour appreciates your patronage. Come back and see us soon!

Cheers,

Portland, Oregon
“pretty disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Went here for dinner with several friends. On the plus side, the drinks were really good. On the down side, the food was so-so as was the service. two of ordered a pasta with shrimp dish. mine came with a single shrimp on it (which they did gladly refire for me though). Another pasta dish was so small, my friend ate one of the apples from the centerpiece bowl.

Might go back for happy hour but not for dinner.

Visited February 2013
BluehourPortland, Owner at Bluehour, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thanks for joining us for dinner and sharing your feedback. While I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your drinks with us, I wish our food did better with you. Serving fresh and high-quality food is important to us, and our chefs are known for their creative and modern approach to fine dining. That said, I appreciate your feedback. Please do join us for happy hour sometime—we'll try our best to make it worth your while.

Taos, New Mexico
“Very Sadly Has Declined”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This used to be Portland's very, very Best...Had two Top Tier/National Class Chef's (2), but since they seperated from the ex-Spago Chef, and transitioned/downgraded (why?) to a 'Cook', there has been a very significant drop off in menu sophistication and quality. (Four tries since the changeover)

Old addage...Don't fix what isn't broken...This was superb...

We probably dined there 20 + trimes a year (personal and business)...Haven't been back since.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
BluehourPortland, Owner at Bluehour, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear jherman06—I'm very saddened to hear that you won't be coming back to Bluehour. While it's true the Thomas Boyce has transitioned to pursue other prospects, we feel very lucky to have Dolan Lane - an extremely talented new chef join us. It will take some time for this new staff to find their legs but We are still as dedicated as ever to serving creative and best-quality food, as many of our repeat customers will attest to. I sincerely hope that you'll continue to support us, as we no doubt will continue to stay true to Bluehour's adventurous and authentic spirit.

All my best,
Vancouver, Washington
“Over-rated For My Liking...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have been to Bluehour twice, wanted to give it another shot because it is supposed to be so very good, but not so much. This is supposed to be an upscale restaurant with food to match. I found it more of guessing game, because the chief has "suprise" dishes, meaning all the content was disclosed, or the waited didn't do a good job of explaining it, have sent food back twice, and I will not be returning just because it's just not my kind of food...at all.

Also, it wasn't just me, was with a party of 12, and only two said they would come again...just say'in.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
BluehourPortland, Owner at Bluehour, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hi Kimberley,

I apologize if we've incorrectly served you in the past. I'll be checking in with my team to ensure that this never happens again. I appreciate your bringing this to my attention. Customer satisfaction is a huge priority to us, and we never want our guests to leave feeling dissatisfied. I hope you'll give us another chance to put our best foot forward. I know we have what it takes to impress you!

Warm regards,
Portland, Oregon
“Looks fantastic, tastes just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place has a beautiful space. The kitchen also produces aesthetically-pleasing plates. Unfortunately, the dishes are not as spectacular as they look. For instance, I had lamb with a gratin and braised greens. The lamb was tasty, but the rest of the plate was bland and uninspired. The salad was average as was the dessert. Nice wine list. We eat out frequently because we really enjoy the Portland food scene. Bluehour needs to up its game.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
BluehourPortland, Owner at Bluehour, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Martha —Thank you for sharing your feedback. We love hearing back from our guests, because it tells us where we're doing right, and where we can improve. While I'm glad you enjoyed your lamb, I'm sorry to hear that you found the rest of the plate bland.

Your feedback reminds us that we can always do better. I'll be checking in with my chefs to ensure that we're keeping highest quality standards. That said, I hope you'll give us another try. I know we have a lot more to offer, and I'd hate for you to give up on us before you had a chance to try our best efforts. I look forward to a better experience with you.

Warm regards,