“Worth a visit for the house-made pasta” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Piazza Italia

Piazza Italia
1129 NW Johnson St, Portland, OR 97209-3062 (Pearl)
503-478-0619
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 3,629 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Pearl
Seattle
“Worth a visit for the house-made pasta”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Just went here two nights in a row because the paparadelle is so damn good I wanted to both ear it again as well as bring someone in particular the following night. Unfortunately, they ran out of it (it's the only type of pasta made there; all other varieties are mass produced) before we arrived. Their featured dish of boar's meat (shredded pork) sauce was still good w/o the paparadelle, yet short of special or spectacular.

Both nights the wait staff was excellent. The hosts were another story (management? Owners?! I wonder.I hope they aren't because they should be fired). The first night both middle-aged persons taking reservations and seating were burnt-out types who stopped liking their jobs some time ago. When I asked the man, on the phone, if it was challenging to park near the restaurant he said it might be, or might not be. I don't know, says he, "you'll have to find out". Then he proceeds to instruct me that when I arrive, to not to ask to have our table changed because it wont be possible. Alright, I reply, but...umm, what's wrong with it? Nothing is wrong with it - irritated at my stupid question though he brought up a problem;its by the entrance. Strange, unfriendly communications continue with him and later with her onsite. Our waitress was their better as was our waiter tonight; good eggs in the right profession; people-people.

P.S. respectable tiramisu! Light and rich all at once. Great, great bread. Skip the caprese.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

St. Louis
“Lovely Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I believe this is family owned and well attended by the locals. Food is authentic and delicious. You can smell the garlic half a block away. Would definitely return.

Visited July 2012
Monrovia, California
“Lunch on the sidewalk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I thought I was done eating at delicious Portland restaurants as we checked our luggage at Union Station 2 hours before our Amtrak Coast Starlight departed for Los Angeles. But no! Apparently there is always room for one more meal.

We had some time to kill before boarding the train, and the restaurant at the train station (Wilfs) didn't open on Sunday until 5 p.m. So we thought we'd just wander the Pearl District and see where our Android Phone's Google Map would take us. It took us to Piazza Italia!

We were seated in a sunny sidewalk table, protected by a big green umbrella from the sun nearly overhead at noontime. Delicious french bread ( from nearby Lovejoy Artisan Bakery) and olive oil for dipping arrived. We selected a Chianti Classico recommended off the menu by our waiter - Casaloste 2009 $42 . Now I asked our waiter his name, and of course he told me, and now I can't remember, except for his waxed handlebar mustache - he was great with wine and menu recommendations, and small talk as well.

We split a delicious Insalata Caprese $9.75 and also split the pasta special of the day - mild Italian sausages with spaghetti and roasted red pepper sauce. Both were elegant in their simplicity. Every flavor stood out showcasing the fresh ingredients. We sipped our wine and relished a great week coming to an end. But not before a cappucino!

We lingered over our cappucinos, looking out on the noontime NW Johnson St. the street scene -- dogs walking their people, and babies in strollers guiding their parental unit(s). Townhomes directly across the street sell for over a million, out of reach of the students at the next door Pacific Northwest College for the Arts. A fabulous neighborhood for a restaurant. If I didn't love where I live, I'd want this to be MY neighborhood!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Most fun this side of Steps of Rome in San Francisco!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

When we venture away from our Bed and Breakfast in East County, we make a point to dine at Piazza Italia. The Food is top notch and the service is always warm and attentive. I hope that I am that engaged and excited when I turn 90!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Washington
“don't come early, no room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

the food is average,the help is surly and the noise level is high

Visited November 2011