“Off the Hizzle!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Nashville, Tennessee
“Off the Hizzle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I had been planning a West Coast roadtrip for a few months now. When I discovered that Snoop Dogg's uncle Reo owned a barbecue joint in Portland, I couldn't resist!

Reo's doesn't really have combos available other than their big 5-meat platter. I wasn't quite that hungry, so I made my own rib platter with a la carte items: 2 spare ribs, 2 baby back ribs, hush puppies, and potato salad.

For some reason the meat was taking longer than expected, so they brought out the sides as appetizers. I usually eat them first anyway, so I was fine with that. The mashed potato salad was mustardy, but interestingly sweet at the same time. Sugar seemed to be more prevalent than the mustard actually. I liked it a lot. As for the hush puppies, they were fried fresh and had a good crisp crust. They were also fairly spicy from the jalapenos scattered throughout, which gave them a good punch.

My duo of ribs came covered in a thick, shiny glaze. I'm used to Central Texas style barbecue, but these ribs still looked delicious. The baby backs were almost falling off the bone (though not overcooked), while the spare ribs were tender with good meat retention. The sugary sauce was really nice actually. I'm not usually a big sauce eater, but I liked it a lot. Both varieties were tasty, but the spares were my favorite of the two.

They were having a little birthday celebration for Reo while we were there. Reo came over and asked if we wanted cake. Yes please! Having birthday cake with Snoop's uncle was definitely the highlight of my experience here. According to Reo, Snoop comes into his restaurant from time to time, along with Katt Williams and Mike Epps. Despite the obvious celebrity-related reasons to eat at Reo's, the food was absolutely delicious and I highly recommend it.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

Visited May 2013