“Old Fashioned Buttermilk is THE BEST” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakeries
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Oakland, California
“Old Fashioned Buttermilk is THE BEST”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We visited Blue Star Donuts for breakfast on our last trip to Portland, and were very pleased with one of the donuts we ordered. I ordered the old fashioned buttermilk donut, which is hands down the best donut we've ever had.
We also ordered the coconut mocha cheesecake donut, which ended up being way too many things on one donut. It had a very strong cream cheese taste and just wasn't nearly as good as the old fashioned.
Also, the coffee was super yummy!
All in all, the old fashioned donut was perfection, but $2.50 for one donut is steep, no matter how amazing it is (though we will surely be buying that kind again).

• Visited August 2013

Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Blue Star Donut Shop Is A Five Star!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Blue Star Donut shop is a 'quiet in the neighborhood' kind of spot which deserves far more accolades than it gets. The tidbit to visit this gem came from a Portland local who was all too happy to let me know where I should go for donuts and she was right. This donut haven opens early and closes when the donuts are sold out..... What a concept!!
I had the blueberry bourbon and basil donut which was yummy and let's not forget the Meyer lemon and lime curd filled powdered donut which was equally as scrumptious. Since I got there in the latter part of the day there weren't many choices however the two aforementioned flavors that I did choose were perfection personified.
This donut shop is popular among the locals and deserves to be on the 'must visit places list' while in Portland. The quality of the donuts, originality of flavors, pleasant staff, quaintness of the shop and the fact that there was no wait easily makes it a five in my book.
Make sure you give it a try while in Portland, Oregon. You and your tastebuds will be happy you did!!

seattle wa
“YUM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Tried before Voodoo, these are dounuts that you wont find at Voodoo, were great, loved the salty caramel

Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“On par with NYC's Doughnut Factory”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My son and I ate doughnuts here while waiting for Cacao to open (and don't miss Cacao; it's in the same block). Blue Star's doughnuts were the lightest, tastiest doughnuts I've ever had (Doughnut Factory's doughnuts are more substantial, and more expensive). They were also reasonably priced, I think around $2.50 for a plain glazed doughnut (next time I'll try the bacon and maple syrup doughnut). Although there is seating, it's very limited, and it's the sort of place that frequently has a line going out the door, so I'd recommend caution if you're planning to go there with small children. But the doughnuts are worth the wait. They don't have gluten free doughnuts, though I really don't see how you'd make a gluten-free doughnut anyhow. Coffee was also decent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Can't pick a favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My friend had been telling me about Blue Star since it opened and it lived up to the hype! I ordered one of each (because they all look scrumptious;you can't decide) and there wasn't one that I wouldn't get again. Flavors are bold and clear and the service was warm. Definitely an upgrade on what to expect from a donut :)