“Fun Lunch Spot” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Picnic House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #203 of 3,282 Restaurants in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Fast Food, Tapas
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Built in the historic lobby of the original Heathman Hotel. Great for Groups, Grab & Go, or Dine In. Rent a Picnic Basket filled with food and take it to the park.
santa monica, ca
“Fun Lunch Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Delicious, hand-crafted sandwiches and tasty soups (during lunch) plus an interesting bar menu (all day). What's not to like?

I've only been here for lunch so far, but it's worth a stop if you're in the mood for a sandwich, salad, or soup.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wilmington, Delaware
“Delicious Food, Upscale Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I recently visited The Picnic House for lunch. It was highly rated and I wanted something good to eat. Because I only get 30 minutes to eat, I called ahead. The phone rang yo voicemail on the first try, so I called back. I got through and spoke to a very friendly and helpful gentleman who assisted me with my selections. I chose the citrus shrimp salad sandwich and the pavlova for dessert. Upon arrival to what struck me as a high ceilinged and refined room, I was immediately greeted by two very friendly ladies who had my order ready and waiting. When I got back to the office, I unwrapped my meal and took a bite of a heavenly sandwich. The bread was "crunchy" at the crust, yet soft and fresh inside. Biting into it reminded me of the scene in Ratatouille where the freshness of bread was discovered by listening to its sound. This bread would have passed the test! The shrimp salad was beautifully seasoned with the citrus blend not overwhelmingly tart and perfectly balanced with the other ingredients. My only complaint is that there should have been more pieces of shrimp. I've never had Pavlova before, but this taste convinced me that I need to visit New Zealand soon, since this dish was created there. The whipped cream was thick yet light. The dessert itself was a startling merenguey mixture topped with berries. Sweet and yummy, despite its large size, I was able to eat more than half of it. The Picnic House prices (about $20 for the above mentioned meal) will prevent me from going too often, but I will definitely look forward to visiting again!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Horrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Had cool mushroom soup server never returned? Thought I was waiting for another ? They took care of my soup but limited menu? Needs better mgmt

Portland, Oregon
“Good food with really bad service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

We arrived for lunch, they made us wait 15 minutes for one of five or six tables that had been clean and open the whole time. The service was just bad, obnoxious wait times, wrong order, etc, which is really unfortunate because the food would have gotten 4 out of 5, and the restaurant is really beautiful.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Overpriced food that hurts your mouth and your wallet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Menu is weird and limited. ALL the sandwiches are made on a hard roll that will cut the roof of your mouth and make you weary. Much bread - no substances. The other dishes were bland and or very bad, especially the overpriced little cup of soup. I have purchased almost everything on the menu and nothing, I repeat, nothing is worth trying again. The worse part was that I advised the management and weeks later, absolutely no response. The place is loud although busy but if you want to impress someone, don't take them to this way overrated place to eat. I think it's more of the scenery and name that keeps them going, but from our party of 8, not one person finished or enjoyed his/her meal. I give them about 6 months to a year and they will be closed.

Visited March 2014