“Authentic Cambodian and Asian Cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #354 of 3,282 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Cambodian
Oregon Coast, Oregon
“Authentic Cambodian and Asian Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Mekong Bistro is a hidden gem on the east side of Portland. Across the street from Madison High School at 8200 SE Siskiyou St (97220) it resides in the small retail shopping center on the east side of 82nd. Their menu includes mostly Cambodian dishes, but also has very authentic dishes from Vietnam, Thailand and Laos. They list close to 80 different dishes so there is something for everyone's taste. Be careful to note the 'spicy' notations - they are HOT, but can be cooled down upon request - mild for them is still a little spicy. Stop in, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A nice variant of familiar Southeast Asian cuisines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

At Mekong Bistro late last month, I had my first exposure to the national cuisine of a country that is close to other countries whose food I eat often (Thai, Burmese), but is pleasantly different. For example, I found the beef jerky an interesting contrast with Burmese and Vietnamese versions of this dish which I have been cooking lately. We had a group of four and hence we were able to sample several dishes (plus the friendly proprietor treated us to dessert). Some food was spicy, but some was sweet; some chewy, some delicate; some mixtures of many elements. I hope to come back on future visits to Portland because there was much more on this menu that I hope to sample.
Some photos of the food are posted here: http://paulalanlevy.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-few-days-in-portland-for-working.html

• Visited January 2013
Portland, Oregon
“So happy to find a NEW place in our own neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We live in Montavilla and we love out little strip of shops and restaurants but we have eaten them all to bordeom (3-5 time through a menue gets me bored).

We stumbled on this place on the way to the airport and it was great.

We had a Labb salad that was delicious (and not over dressed for change) and we had the Jrook (chicken porridge) my stomach was a bit upset and I wanted something kind of basic...it was fabulous and I Have found my new "honey go get me soup" when I am ill place! (Life has not been the same since Kapayya closed and there is no more Kappaya Udon.

They have a full bar (=) and a few too many T.V.s but the atmosphere was nice and the place was clean. Also the sever (owner?) was very polite and helpul and the happy hour menu looked like a great deal.

We will be going back SOON

Mel and Mike.

• Visited October 2012
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I read the reviews about Mekong Bistro which is just up the street from where I live and was really excited. We went on a Tuesday night. the place was totally empty. But I thought okay it's Tuesday. I was pretty disappointed in the food it was not as good as I was led to believe. ( the service was really good) the atmosphere was kinda spars.

The previous week I had the opportunity to go to Shangdongs on 37th & NE Broadway. It was like apples and oranges. I would pick Shangdongs. The prices were pretty much the same but the flavor @ Shangdongs was way better and the variety on the menu was better than Mekong Bistro.

I was looking for a local place I could just go to now and then but I don't think this will be it :(

• 3 of 5 stars Food
florida
“A Real Gem for Delicious Cambodian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Our experience at Mekong Bistro was wonderful. The food was authentic and delicious, the portions were generous, and the service was very friendly. It is a new restaurant that is family owned and operated and we felt as if we were being treated like guests in their home. Staff went out of their way to please us. They have a large menu of Cambodian, Vietnamese and Laotian dishes and each and everything we tired was great-including the dessert of sticky rice and pudding.

• Visited May 2012