“Pleasant Stay, Great Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Palms Motel
3801 N. Interstate Ave., Portland, OR 97227   |
Ranked #97 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“Pleasant Stay, Great Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

Unlike most I was attracted to The Palms after seeing its fantastic neon palm tree sign complete with blue monkey. After checking out the prices I made my reservations for two nights and anxiously awaited to see if my blind faith would see me through.

The Palms is extremely easy to find- the sign doesn't let you down, even in the day time. It's a quick 3 minutes from I-5 on N Interstate. The nice thing about a hotel that is outside of downtown (besides the reduced rates) is the lack of noise. Even with the MAX (light rail) right outside there is minimal outside noise.

I was pleasantly surprised with my room. It seemed recently renovated and everything was in average-to-great condition. The bed (king sized) had a soft mattress and three pillows of average quality. The TV was impressive with lot's of channels (Direct TV). The bathroom was average, and actually bigger than I would have guessed. No problems EXCEPT, I did notice some ants; just a few at first but by the end of my stay there was a little army. They didn't bother me but had I been staying there longer I would have had a problem with it.

The nice thing about The Palms was that it was painless. Check in was simple and so was check out. The owners were very polite and helpful. I'm not a picky hotel-stayer so perhaps that had something to do with it but my stay at the Palms Hotel felt effortless and relaxing and those are some great and rare qualities to find in a "cheap hotel."

The bottom line is that The Palms hotel is worth the price and maybe a little more. Save your money for the food in Portland and stay at The Palms.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

I went up to see my Grandkids and stay in a hotel for peace of mind; and they give a weekly rate. However, when I got there the manager came out and said that "I smoked," which I don't, and growled at me. He said if you are going to stay here, I will charge you a twenty dollar deposit and then stomped off into his living quartering adjoining the office. I was shocked. They never said anything about a deposit before on the phone; it dampened my spirits. Instead of two weeks, I stayed one. When I tried to get my deposit back, she didn't process it for several days later and I had to threaten them with a complaint with the Oregon Consumer Complaint LIne. I read several of these reviews and I agree THE OWNER IS MEAN AND UNCARING. He shouldn't be in hospitality.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

When driving up to the Palms Motel you might look up at the giant lit up palm tree and chuckle but don't be fooled. This is comfortable place to stay. Despite what others have said, the management are very reasonable and accommodating. As far as the rooms go, they are a great for what you pay. I found all of my amenities to be functional and my room was clean. Although the housekeepers could have been more thorough, in my opinion. The location is great because it is right next to the MAX transportation railway and downtown is very close. If you're looking to get a great value then you can't go wrong with Palms

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
madison, wi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

The Indian proprietor and his wife are genial; however, nothing can compensate for the shortcomings without a substantial overhaul. The rugs are threadbare. The shower bar in Room 70 is flimsy and collapses at the slightest touch. There are no towel bars. The bathlight automatically turns on the fan, very noisy at night. MAX runs on the street but it's pretty quiet. There's a frig but we pulled the plug due to noise when it recyles during the night. The office is kept locked so no computer to access. There is laptop service but didn't try same. Toilet stopped up 1st night and had to get office to supply plunger. Staff forgot to replenish coffee packets. Also, "we do not do decaf". I can understand a low price with few amenities. But why not a few dollars to fix the shower bar and put in a towel bar or two?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I've stayed at the Palms three times. I actually like it although it is a bit run down and dirty. There are seven motels along Interstate Avenue... from south to north they are Palms, Economy Inn, Westerner, Budget Motel, Monticello, Value Inn and Viking. Westerner's nightly rate is $70 and Monticello's is $60. The rest are $45-$50. (I've checked all their rates in person and have stayed at three of the motels so far.)

Interstate Ave. used to be a major thoroughfare before I-5 was constructed. That explains why seven motels are sitting there looking out of place. Interstate is still a busy main street but not one where you expect to find seven motels. Nor is there a need for seven motels... although the Convention Center, Expo Center, and Rose Garden are fairly close by.

The best thing about the Palms is their satellite TV system. They don't have giant flat panel TVs but you do get about 100 channels. Their rooms also have refrigerators and microwaves, but this is standard along Interstate Avenue. Some of the rooms have been renovated and have nice bathrooms; the others need to be renovated but are still not decrepit enough to be unacceptable.

Palms is very close to the Overlook Park yellow line MAX stop and a short walk north to a Plaid Pantry, the Alibi tavern, and Fire on the Mountain buffalo wings place. They have an on site coin laundry and daily housekeeping. The big neon sign is very cool looking when they turn it on after dark. And they have free WiFi which works very well.

I wouldn't mind living there but they seem to have some kind of limit on how often you can stay there. There are no specific rules posted or verbally given to you but some of the staff seem a bit suspicious of you if they recognize you as a repeat visitor. Which seems odd to me since if they have empty rooms, one would think they'd rather have the room occupied by a paying customer.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Spokane, Wash.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2008

At the end of July 2008, I called and reserved one night at this motel using my Visa card. Within minutes of making the reservation, I commented to a friend that I thought it strange that this motel did not take American Express. He warned me: That's the kind of place you don't want to stay. So I immediately called back and canceled the reservation, giving management about 26 hours' notice. The person I spoke with became angry and told me I would still have to pay.

Now it is November, and the Palms is still trying to collect through my Visa card. I understand why this motel doesn't take American Express; that company would have told the Palms to pound sand when they attempted to collect on such a bogus claim. Visa keeps dragging it out. The latest: The Palms sent Visa "documentation" (some words scrawled on a piece of paper) allegedly proving that I made a reservation for two people (it was just for one) and did not cancel until "9:55 p.m." the night before I was to arrive (also not true).

I will cancel my Visa card before I pay these people a nickel.

Stayed July 2008
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

The rooms are fair and clean, but they don't always allow phone calls to go through. No direct room calls, they all have to go thru the front office, and thats a problem. They have many rules, they don't tell you when you first check in. I will keep you posted.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Palms Motel? Share your experiences!