“Best place to stay in Portland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cherokee Rose Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cherokee Rose Inn
You added Cherokee Rose Inn to your Saves list
2924 SE Alder Street, Portland, OR 97214   |
Ranked #10 of 41 Portland B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best place to stay in Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I spent 5 nights at the Cherokee Rose Inn and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere but the Cherokee Rose Inn when I'm in Portland for leisure. From the instant I got there, it felt like home. It seemed to be a world away from downtown Portland, but it was just 2 miles away. I hesitate to rave about it because it feels like a secret treasure.

The Inn is in a residential neighborhood a few blocks from the Belmont and Hawthorne strips of shopping and restaurants. It is also a 15-20 minute walk to this little corner of stores that folks call the vegan mini-mall (I think that's a misnomer - it's not a mini-mall, and it's just 4 or 5 shops, but it's still great). Most things are walkable, but the owner provides day passes if you want to use public transit. She even gave us space to park our bikes when we rented them.

We were the only guests the first night we were there, and there were snacks waiting for us when we got there. I asked Sandy if she could accommodate a gluten free vegan like myself, and she said it was no problem. All our snacks and breakfasts were gluten free, vegan and delicious. Oh, and she left us some vegan, gluten free truffles in our room! It was such a nice treat.

There were other guests for the rest of our stay, and the walls are very thin. While there are quiet hours from 10pm to 6 or 7am, they are not silent hours. You should know that if you are a light sleeper. You may want to bring ear plugs.

The owner also has a dog and a cat, which only added to my love for this place. Bill the cat is a big fluffy kitty who likes to be pet and Hammy is a funny little dog who likes to play. I wish I could have put them in my suitcase when I left.

The Cherokee Rose Inn was the perfect place to stay in Portland.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Valerie N

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Such a great place to stay! I've never stayed at a B&B before and wasn't originally planning to for my trip, but this little gem popped up on HappyCow and my boyfriend and I decided to try something new and let me tell you...It did not disappoint. The location is just on the other side of the river from downtown and conveniently located within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and boutiques. For the vegans out there, it is minutes away from the vegan strip mall and a great vegan bar called The Sweet Hereafter. Sandy is beyond sweet and she goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is comfortable and unobtrusive (although, ironically, I wished that she would be more intrusive because I love talking to people and hearing their stories. But that's just my personality). The room and the bathroom were huge and we were met with complimentary vegan truffles. The bed was so comfortable and in the morning Sandy had a delicious, vegan, southwest breakfast ready for us (I ate 3 biscuits and would've eaten more if others hadn't wanted the rest). And lastly...her lovely pets. She has the sweetest little dog that looks like the dog from the Caesar food commercials and the absolute sweetest cat named Bill who knows tricks.

I highly recommend Sandy and a stay at her B&B. Not only will I be staying there for all trips to Portland, but the stay has also convinced me to explore other B&B's on other vacations. This place is great for vegans because of the guaranteed vegan breakfast, but even if you're not vegan, it's great because the food is amazing and the stay is relaxing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SanterraH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

A great place to stay! Hostess was warm and accommodating, room was comfortable, lots of interesting books. Breakfast was tasty (and we're not even vegan). Also, she was eager to accommodate dietary restrictions. Felt like a home a way from home.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank casieowen
Everett, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I loved the Cherokee Rose Inn. I'm not really a vegan, but I enjoyed breakfast very much. The beds were more than comfortable, and Sandy is a very nice woman who keeps the whole house clean and tidy. It was nice for my mom too, who is a vegan, and had fun chatting with Sandy about...well, whatever vegans talk about. It was very nice of her to accommodate us so late, and she was very understanding.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Charles L
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Portland for a few days, and were delighted to be able to stay at a B&B that caters to vegans! The location was ideal, within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and shopping; and easily accessible by car or bus to downtown.
Sandy was a great host, the room was spacious and comfortable, and the breakfasts were delicious!
Will definitely be recommending this place to friends and family planning to visit Portland.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dani C
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

A cute little B&B we stayed at for 1 night while in Portland. Sandy is very sweet and hospitable. She has two 1 bedrooms on the top floor of her beautiful house. The room we stayed in was very spacious and clean. It had a queen bed as well as a twin bed in the little alcove of the room. A perfect place to have an afternoon nap or read a book. Bathroom is shared between the two rooms and there is also a lounge/computer area upstairs as well, equipped with books and all sorts of board games. The room had a TV and free wifi. Breakfast was basic, yogurt parfaits with homemade granola she baked the night before. Neighborhood is great! Cute houses and great places to eat all within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jen1805
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My partner and I absolutely loved our stay at the Cherokee Rose Vegan B&B. It really made our stay in Portland something special! Located in a great neighbourhood, near vegan shops, restaurants, and bars, Sandy, Seamus and Bill keep a lovely home and are so kind to share it with traveling veg'n folks.

Each morning we were treated to a delightful breakfast. My favourites were the french toast w/ fruit, the 'southern breakfast' with tofu scramble, and grits(mm!), and the tofu fried egg with vegan cheese centres. In the afternoon, a treat would appear in the common room upstairs. We had vegan salt water taffy, single-source dark chocolate, nectarines and lots of other snacks.

Our room was large and more than exceeded out needs. This will definitely be where we stay, when we go to Portland. Thanks to Food Fight, the vegan grocery store for listing Cherokee Rose on their website. When we saw there was a vegan B&B and basically booked our trip around being able to have this as our home-base.

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms. If you are a couple, the room with one bed is more than enough! The larger r...