“Kind of Spooky, but Good Times” 3 of 5 stars
Review of McMenamins White Eagle Saloon and Rock & Roll Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portland
McMenamins White Eagle Saloon and Rock & Roll Hotel
You added McMenamins White Eagle Saloon and Rock & Roll Hotel to your Saves list
836 North Russell St, Portland, OR 97227   |
Ranked #62 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Vancouver, Canada
“Kind of Spooky, but Good Times”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

The bar downstairs is awesome, the only problem was that it closed at 11pm on Sunday night which was the only night we stayed there. Otherwise if you don't mind walking a bit, there's a lot of cool stuff up on Mississippi which isn't too far from the hotel. Our room was a quiet spot at the end of the hallway, it had a little sink and a pretty good amount of natural light. The hotel itself was a bit spooky, creaky, I'm pretty sure our sink in the room turned on in the middle of the night, so it very well may be haunted or something. Overall I would stay there again, the area, vibe and prices are right, especially for the sort of experience I enjoy when I go to Portland. The shared bathrooms are a bit strange, the toilets are not attached to the shower rooms and there were only 2 toilets and 2 showers for our entire floor.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We spent one night in the 'White Eagle Hotel'. The room was small, without any window. The air-conditioning was very loud and didn't cool down at all, the temperature was too high and the air was too dry. I could not sleep very well because of the mentioned points, but this may have also been related to my terrible jetlag at that time. There was no bathroom included in the room, we had to use the communal bathroom, but it was clean.

The staff was very nice and how cool is it actually if the barkeeper does the check-in for the rooms? :-)
In my opinion, the music from downstairs wasn't too loud either.

The atmosphere in this hotel is very unique and it's very good valued, therefore it was worth a visit and definitely no wrong decision, but i would not recommend to stay more than one night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My mom and I stayed in a bunk bed room and loved it. The rooms are small but room for what you need. It's nice that you can take drinks from the bar too. Live music everynight, so not a quiet place until midnight or so.

• Stayed March 2012
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

It's an interesting hotel and for sure not for everyone!! If you are a light sleeper you shouldn't come here, it's true what a lot of people say, the rooms are apparently not very well sound isolated and downstairs is the bar with live music!! BUT, the hotel is cute, it feels kind of old, but they decorated the rooms very nicely and I think all are a little different! The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean!! Every room has a little sink in the room, but the washrooms and showers are outside. The washrooms and shower very clean too and the shower I used was also pretty big and colourful (with small mosaics).
The only thing about the room what I didn't liked (but may be the other rooms are a little different) was, that there wasn't a real window (just one at the roof, but u couldn't open it) and it was sooo hot in the room and I actually haven't found any air condition (I mean actually I haven't even looked for it, cause I don't like A/C).
The service was quite ok too. I could check in easy and the girl was very friendly!
The location might not be the best, but it's very close to the public transit and you are in downtown portland in around 10 minutes. And right next to the hotel is the Widmer brewery.
So it's a nice hotel and for the price it's amazing, but keep in mind it's for sure not for everyone, so before you go there, decide for yourself if you mind loud music, small rooms and washrooms down the hall!! If yes come here!! If no don't go there and write a bad review afterwards!! ;)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I always sleep great at any of the McMinnies (stayed in all but 2). Must be the beer, I guess! We stayed at the White Eagle for a night with friends down at the Kennedy School. Nice not to be busted for the rest of the evening. You get what it is folks, a room with a bed, chair and sink. Need more, go pay more. I love the Mississippi neighborhood. We went to the Kennedy School and saw a movie and ate good pizza. Good times were had by all, but we were better rested after a quiet night down the way at the White Eagle. Bless the coffee bearer that comes in the morning, you're not appreciated enough, I'm sure! Bring your flip flops for the shower, else you may bring home more than one fun-gi!

Room Tip: Use the back stairs for quick access to your car.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

I had to spend almost 10 days in Portland and didn't want to waste all my money on a hotel so I ended up staying here and I really liked it, even though you do hear the music coming from the bar downstairs and you have to share the bathroom and the showers.

It is just a unique and charming place that is very originally designed, which makes up for the negatives. It is in an industrial area of Portland but there are some bars/restaurants in the area and I never felt unsafe. Since I didn't have a car I walked to downtown Portland every day which was a pleasant walk of perhaps half and hour. As someone else mentioned it may not be for everyone but if you don't mind hearing music, and sharing facilities it is definitely a characteristic place to stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Somerville, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Yes, it is in an industrial area, but we liked the location better than downtown, there were many many more hip restaurants and many many many fewer transients. It was easy to get to the action around Alberta street by taking the bus.

The place was super clean for a former brothel above a bar. The rooms are adequate size and have a sink, towels, soap, etc. Toliets & showers are housed in individual stalls down the hall.

Yes, you can hear loud music in your room, but why bother staying above a bar if you don't plan on going downstairs and listening to the music live? Guests get in for free if there happens to be a cover.

We had no problem parking in their lot on a Saturday and there is tons of street parking. It is way better than paying $30+ to park your car at the downtown hotels!

The staff was all super friendly. We didn't encounter any ghosts or other overnight guests, however, every time I was in the bathroom I heard doors open a close - a lot of them. It was probably the other guests, but since I never saw them, my imagination ran a little bit...

My only complaint was that our window didn't have a screen and there is no AC, so we slept with the window wide open. I have a weird bug bite on my head as a result.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to McMenamins White Eagle Saloon and Rock & Roll Hotel? Share your experiences!