“Delicious food, attentive waiter” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Noisette - CLOSED

Noisette
1937 NW 23rd Pl, Portland, OR 97210 (Northwest District)
503-719-4599
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Northwest District
Cross street: NW Vaughn
Kennewick, Washington
“Delicious food, attentive waiter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Went here with a group of friends last fall. We each did the 8 course tasting menu. I thought the food was amazing. We had a really great waiter, which is always nice. Everything we ate was delicious. Would recommend it to anyone who loves french food. Took a few hours, which is to be expected with 8 courses... but plan for that if you're going to do the tasting menu.

• Visited October 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Best French restaurant in Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

It can be easy to miss this small restaurant in this bustling restaurant town, but Tony Demes (of former 4-star Le Couvrons) is back and serves up an 8 course dinner of delights if you so prefer or you can order from the menu. In either case you are likely to leave with a big smile on your face. Wine list is well paired with menu, and has many not so pricy options. We have been to this restaurant 5 or 6 times and we always look forward coming back. For the food quality prices are modest, service is excellent and parking easy to find.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, BC
“Small lovely restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

First impression is important - I like it immediately when I arrive. The ambiance of the restaurant is spot-on - a small classy restaurant with the right look on the outside and inside. They also have four seats at the chef's counter if you are ones who enjoy the kitchen actions. We were at the chef's counter and enjoyed seeing the magic happening before our eyes.

Originally, we were hoping to have the tasting menu, but we made the mistake of going to Screen Door for brunch that day. We were not even hungry by the time we arrived at Noisette. Therefore, we had to change our mind and ordered small plates a la carte. The food is well done - the chef owner cares about his food from taste to look, and it shows. Our favourite dishes are Ahi Tuna with duck liver on Brioche, Waygu Culotte and short ribs and Mushroom pasta. The other dishes are also good. Nothing we tasted we did not like that night. Of course, we finished our dinner with a Hazelnut Souffle - what a relief to have a nice classic dessert done right. And yes, bread is good too!

I have taken away one star because I have to agree that the small plates are indeed not the regular small plate size. They are not tapa size for sharing - they are more the tasting menu size. If it is your first date there, you are likely too embarrassed to share that with your new date. We were not hungry, and we ordered 6 small plates plus dessert, and I am generally known to be a light eater. My husband did have to eat more bread to make sure the wine did not get to him too much! :) Tasting menu is better value for sure - think we will go for that next time.

Service was excellent throughout the night. The staff there were all friendly and had that family feel to match this small restaurant.

With the combination of excellent food, service and ambience, we will be back again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“Too little for too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Let's start with the positives. This is a beautiful small space in NW Portland. The service is outstanding and the food was very well prepared. However, the portions versus the cost, and the "rules" make it someplace we will not likely go to again.

The goal is clearly to push you to the $83 tasting combination. The rule, however, that everyone in your party must order the tasting makes it very unattractive. The night we were there duck lived was one of the items. I don't eat liver and there are no substitutions. So everyone in our party was punished because I didn't want the tasting combo.

We get small plates. But these should be called mini plates. Usually, we order a number of small plates and share bites. However, when there is literally only two small bites on a lobster salad there isn't anything to share. And at 18 dollars its not a mini price.

For a party of 4 the food bill alone for the tasting combo would be $330--not including wine. In Portland, with its amazing restaurant choices 330 is going to get you a truly memorable meal. While very good, Noisette is not one of those memorable meals. I can't see that it will last long. I think like us, a lot of people will try it but then not return.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Perfect for special occassion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Noisette has the best 8-course tasting menu in Portland, which I know is saying a lot in this town. My wife and I went there for our anniversary and the 2.5 - 3 hour dinner was absolutely fantastic.

It has a casual, family-owned feel to it. The portions are perfect and pace is well in tune with a romantic dinner.

I'm writing this review after having been to the restaurant 6 months ago because I think about it quite a bit and can't wait to go back...

• Visited June 2012