“Freshest...Tastiest around!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shigezo

Shigezo
910 SW Salmon, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)
(503) 688-5202
Neighborhood: Downtown
Portland, Oregon
“Freshest...Tastiest around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Been to many, many sushi places....Have to say this one is on the top of my list. The waiter Ross.... is the best! He knows the menu and the ingredients and advises you on all the great choices. He has all my confidence to always having a great meal! I brought friends from NYC and they can't wait to visit and eat there again! You must try the noodles! The broth is so yummy it makes me want to go there now and order some! Sit on the Bar side and get the happy hour menu and try everything! Prices are great and make sure you try the smoked salmon! YUM YUM! My goal someday is to have enough room for the wonder looking desert menu!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

las vegas, nv
“Homemade Ramen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Something for everyone. Service, ambience, street-side tables, sushi, local draft beer, tapas, and of course fresh Ramen. Recommended!

Visited August 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Happy Hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We dropped in during happy hours which runs from 3 to close. They had great specials and good selections to choose from. I enjoyed the sushi and had a salad to go with my beer. We tried to go back again but just couldn't fit it in on this trip. We will go back.

Visited August 2013
New York
“Again good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Came back here with a friend. I really liked Koji, but it was too small to stay for a long time, so we came here. I know Shigezo is very crowded on weekend, but we were there on Monday night, so we could get the table right away (we had the reservation). as usual, we ordered agedashi tofu, tsukune, yakitori, quail egg wrapped with bacon, eringi wrapped with bacon, saba robatayaki, salad, curry udon, and fish egg w/ squid roll (special). They were very good. Saba must have been in season as it was pretty oily - too much for my taste although it was good.

We have not seen each other for a year, so we wanted to eat, chat, eat, and chat. However, the waiter came quite often as if to nudge us to leave, even though there were not many customers. Other than that, the service was good and the wait staff was very attentive.

I noticed this last summer but we were never asked if we wanted desserts. And this summer was the same. There were a couple of good looking cakes at the entrance, but we did not know about it until we saw them as we left.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Authentic Japanese izakaya in the heart of downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I believe that this was the first Shigezo outpost outside of Japan. There is now a second location in Portland on Division but this one is the most convenient for visitors as it is close to museums and Powell's.

The highlights are the ramen and the skewers. It may be the best miso ramen in Portland and the other varieties of ramen are also very good. Skewers are my second favorite with the simple excellence you expect from a Japanese izakaya. We'll often get a combination. The curry is also very good but I prefer the curry at Kale down the street.

The restaurant is split into two large sections. One side is a bar lined with sake crates and many tables. The other side is a restaurant with many booths and tatami-like rooms. Either side is perfectly fine for eating but you can only get the happy hour specials in the bar.

As a proper izakaya, they have Japanese beers, of course, but also many micro brews.

• Visited May 2013