“Only stay if you have to...previous reviews are right” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Downtown Value Inn

You added Downtown Value Inn to your Saves list
Downtown Value Inn
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   415 SW Montgomery Street, Portland, OR 97201 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #104 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Only stay if you have to...previous reviews are right”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The staff is rude here. They are just unhappy people. The Indian male in his 30's who is at the front desk most of the time better be glad his parents or grandparents own the place (I"m just assuming this) because he would have a hard time keeping a job at starbucks or anywhere there are customers. The location is really good. About a block away is an econolodge that I didn't stay but walked by and said to myself, 'I'd stay here at this econolodge when I come back'. I don't even know the prices of the econolodge but it's probably similar. Back to the Downtown Value Inn, the rooms on the 3rd floor are renovated and the corner room I stayed was actually nice. There are other rooms on the 2nd floor and one (room 29) in the basement that is deplorable. So beware when booking here and the safe thing to do is just find a place nearby so you can avoid the harsh personalities behind the desk of this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd floor or stay somewhere else. Take a deep breath when dealing with the hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
PdxValueInns, Guest Relations Manager at Downtown Value Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
We appreciate hearing from you about your stay with us at the Downtown Value Inn. Feedback from our guests, both positive and negative, is an important tool for us to improve our hospitality in every way we can. We apologize that the service you received was unsatisfactory. Discourtesy is unprofessional and unacceptable. We were happy to hear that you were pleased with the quality of your room on the third floor. We would welcome the opportunity to hear more from you about your experience. We can be contacted at guestrelations@downtownvalueinn.com. We certainly hope that whether you choose to stay with us again or with someone else that you will return often to the Rose City in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here and it is exactly what I expected-
It allowed me somewhere to sleep and take breaks in between exploring Portland.

The negative reviews are pretty absurd. It's an incredibly cheap hotel. If you go in expecting anything more than a solid bed and a base camp for your vacation, you're sorely mistaken and should not have stayed here!

I am 23 and went to Portland for a fun weekend with friends and this hotel was perfect for it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
PdxValueInns, Guest Relations Manager at Downtown Value Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for your review! We were very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. If there are things that you think we could be doing different or doing better we would like to hear about it. We can be reached at guestrelations@downtownvaluinn.com. We hope that we will be your first choice in accommodations when you have plans that bring you to Portland. Take care!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I just stayed here for a night because I was visiting a friend the next day, so I was looking for a place to get a few hours of sleep and a shower before she got in from the airport (I wasn't even there 8 hours). I have traveled a lot, and am usually not too picky about where I stay. The biggest concern I had was if the location was okay, because I had never been to Portland before. The location was great! Everything around the hotel looks brand new, so as I was walking there I thought it wouldn't be so bad. When I got to the outside it was definitely older and more run down than the rest of the area. When I first got there no one was at the desk. I literally sat there for 20 minutes until finally someone came. They got all my info and then said I needed $5 cash to get a room key (luckily I had time to get caah before leaving Seattle). I got the key and went to my room. It was old, everything pretty run down, but the bed was clean so I didn't care too much. The light above the bed flickered non-stop, so I had to turn it off and use the bathroom light and my phone for a light when I needed it. I got a few hours of sleep and then got up to take a shower. When I turned the shower on water sprayed everywhere. I did my best to cover ut with the shower curtain, but the shower head leak was so bad water was everywhere. I then kept the shower on for about 10 minutes and it never got hot, it never even got warm. The bathroom was soaked, so I decided the shower wasn't worth it and did my best to clean up the water.

This is my first time writing a bad review, and I would have been okay with this place if I could have at least taken a shower! It sucks because it has so much potential and the location is amazing (the only reason I gave it 2 stars instead of 1), but it has no upkeep whatsoever. If you're looking for a place for the rest, and don't care about a shower then this place would be okay, but I'm definitely staying somewhere different next time I visit Portland.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for posting your review here on TripAdvisor. The opinions of our guests are very important to us. We were disappointed to hear about the troubles you encountered during your stay with us. We apologize that you had such a long wait to check in, and that the facilities did not meet your expectations. Especially things as fundamental as the shower and the hot water. Was the front desk staff unable to provide a different room when asked? Of course if the property was fully booked that day it might not have been possible. We try to respond to issues with the rooms as soon as possible in order to ensure our patrons are comfortable. We would like very much to hear more from you about your time with us at the Downtown Value Inn. We can be reached at guestrelations@downtownvalueinn.com.
Victoria, British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

e wanted to stay for cheap in downtown Portland, and this place fit the price tag. I would recommend something else if you can afford it. The water in the shower had no pressure. We got a room that stunk of smoke on arrival (asked for non smoking), the heater in the room was so loud we could not sleep, so instead we shivered through the night. The blinds in the windows need dusting. If you drive a mini van or SUV or are not very good at parking in tight spaces you may have problems parking at the limited availability parking. Forget it if you have a truck. Overall the place is kind of yucky. For instance I was a bit grossed out to go barefoot and wore my socks the entire time. The covers on the bed seem really old and it just doesn't seem hygienic. They have definitely not invested a penny to even put new bed throws/covers in. My husband and I slept in some warm clothes we brought with us, and I also slept in my pants - due to the cold. The pillows were comfy - that's the only plus. There is no breakfast or anything, but I can't imagine that it would be any good. The guy at the reception was OK, but did not really go out of his way to be nice, helpful, or give an extra sense of welcoming. The place is also not accessible for those who need wheelchair accessibility or have strollers to carry around.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

WORST motel I have ever stayed at!!!!! Please do not stay here! The staff is beyond RUDE and extremely UNPROFESSIONAL. They do not understand the concept of customer service.

We were visiting Portland for the holidays and a good friend picked us up from the airport and brought us to the motel. The hotel desk clerk basically freaked out and said no visitors were allowed after 10pm (it was only a little after 10). Btw, this policy is NOT in writing and was NOT mentioned at check in...It was just sprung on us at the last minute. I explained the situation and said our friend would only be staying a little while. He reluctantly agreed. After our friend had left (he only stayed 30-40 mins), the clerk called the room asking suspiciously if "our guest had left the premises." I said yes and he said he didn't see him leave and that he was coming up to our room.

Next thing I know, he is knocking on the door and basically BARGED into our room at 11:00 at night, "searching the premises" for our guest who he thought I was hiding in the room somewhere. After I repeated that our friend had left, he stormed out of the room saying, "Well if you don't like it, you can leave tomorrow! We will give you your money back!" I felt unsafe from his unwarranted entry and confused about his mistrust. It appears that the motel has had some "problems" with visitors in the past (IDK but am assuming maybe prostitutes or hookers bringing clients?). But regardless of their past history, we were good, paying customers, weren't doing anything illegal, and still were treated like criminals.

We tried staying another night or two, but we just kept feeling really uncomfortable there, and so ended up leaving there early and getting a refund for the rest of the days. They didn't even really seemed to care about losing our business. We went to EconoLodge down the street instead and had a much better experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I have travelled to over 20 countries and have had a variety of lodging options from couch surfing and hostels to very exclusive hotels. This motel is the worst place I've have ever stayed. To say the staff is rude is an understatement. When our friend dropped us off at the motel, he hung out in our room for 30-40 minutes before leaving. The desk clerk then called up my partner and screamed at her about some policy of no visitors after 10:00. (This policy is NOT in writing and was not mentioned at check in). Then he came up to the room, knocked on the door, and barged into the room looking for our friend who had already left. We were not using drugs or involved in any illegal activities and he just stormed into the room. The next day the same desk clerk called up my 65 year old mother who rented the room and screamed at her. I don't normally write reviews about motels/hotels, but I feel I should give other potential travelers fair warning before staying here. The management and desk clerks are very aggressive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Those who book a place called "Value Inn" shouldn't expect luxury. I stayed here one night to save money (and then a nicer place afterward). It fit the need for a place to sleep, and I'm a pretty easygoing traveler. It's basically a motor inn/motel. It looks dated inside and out, but my bathroom was partly updated with a nice tub and toilet. It is situated at the streetcar tracks, but I did not find the noise disturbing my sleep. One perk (which I didn't need, but still nice) was the fridge and microwave. There was no alarm clock, but most cellphones have an alarm anyway. The only issue I reported was the shower head: the pressure was great, if only I had unidirectional flow. The jets sprayed 20 different directions (I counted), so rinsing off took some time. The location is pretty convenient to downtown walking, and transit is less than a block away. So my suggestion: same some money here, but maybe splurge later.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo