“Tickle your tastebuds” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
San Jose, CA
“Tickle your tastebuds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

So, I've looked at the reviews and I notice that a big complaint is the wait. I might be writing a different review if I'd gone too far out of my way and waited 30 minutes, but I didn't, so here goes.

My husband and I love ice cream. We live near San Francisco and make sure we keep up with the newest shops and trends in flavors. Salt & Straw did not disappoint.

One of the great features is, while you are still in line, albeit close to the front, your server comes over to you and asks what you would like to try, so be prepared by grabbing a menu at the entrance, or by reading the board as you walk in. The server seems to be happy to let you try as many flavors as you'd like. Try a few you might think you wouldn't like. Some of those combinations are actually good and may work for you. My strategy was to try three I was pretty sure I'd like, and two I wasn't sure of at all, and ended up with one scoop in each of the categories.

If you really can't decide, I did notice, too late, a woman returning a "tasting" tray, a wooden tray with four small bowls. That is the way I'd go next time.

They also have drinking vinegar and kombucha on tap. I ordered a kombucha to go. If you are a kombucha drinker, this is better than anything I've bought in a bottle.

If you are pressed for time, and the line is long, you can always buy a pint. You won't get the experience of having pretty much as many tastes as you feel comfortable asking for, but you don't have to wait in line, you'll save money buy getting a pint, and you'll have had some of the best ice cream in Portland.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Farm to cone and your taste buds will notice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

If you're visiting Portland, you should come here. If you live in Portland, you should come here. Don't choose the first thing off tne menu that jumps out at you-instead, taste a few...especially the riskier combinations. The service is good, and the counter help genuinely wants you to sample. Expect a crowd, but don't let that stop you. You might wait a bit (less than ten minutes) if you order a sundae. But, it's worth crowds,a little wait, and the price. We paid around $12 for a scoop and a Sundae. My friend raved about her salted caramel cone. I loved my sundae with a scoop of Stumptown coffee and Bourbon, and a scoop of gluten-free coconut. Wow! Outside seating in the courtyard is perfect on a dry day.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“A bit overatted”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Not sure what all the hype is about, its definitely different but not worth that long of a wait in line. However my teenager loves it so maybe I'm just an old fart. I had the salted caramel which tasted like both those flavors but nothing like ice cream at all.
However I do have a tip for you, don't wait in that long line. If you are buying a quart or more of one flavor you get to go straight to the front of the line. Think that is impossible, just give it a try and you will see.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Spokane, Washington
“Creamy and delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Unique flavors, creamy and oh so good! We thoroughly enjoyed it. Staff was pleasant and didn't mind lots of sampling. I would definitely recommend.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great ice cream with funky flavors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

A great ice cream with unique flavor combinations make this a nice place to go for that after dinner sweet. Or maybe a little treat on a nice walk. Friendly staff. Quick and efficient service. Tasting prior to buying is offered. A neat place, except no coffee?

Visited July 2014