“I love this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse
Save Saved
You added Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse to your Saves list
4614 N. Michigan Ave, Portland, OR 97217 (Old Town - Chinatown)   |
Ranked #13 of 39 Portland B&B and Inns
Topanga, California, United States
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

This was our first trip away from home with our 8 week old baby, and the Arias family were amazing. They made us feel instantly at home, gave us a crib for our little boy, and were a delight to be around. We stayed in both the caravan, and in the main house and can recommend both - quirky, offbeat, beautifully, uniquely decorated, homelike and peaceful. If you want a hotel, this is not the place for you. If you want a unique Portland experience in an urban farmhouse with an adorable family to talk to, this is your place. I love it, and look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were looking for a weird Portland experience, for our first time to Portland, and this place fit the bill perfectly. We loved that the kids were running around, (sometimes screaming, sometimes telling us about the different kinds of tea they had made) early in the morning. We loved the small amount of time we spent with the family and got a tour of their house and yard when we asked. And I thought the house was beautiful, and our room was comfortable, but not super fancy. I think they do a good job of describing what you're getting into on their website.

Some of the notes that others have made ring true though - we were looking forward to conversing with the family and other travelers over breakfast, but I guess we went during an off-season, because we were the only occupants and breakfast wasn't served, even though one of the information sheets in-room said that they sometimes have breakfast? It didn't end up being a big problem because we got to go to some great Portland restaurants for breakfast. I think we would have liked to have felt more communal or more welcomed, but it was more of a "come and go as you please, and we're here if you need us" vibe. I think we wanted to be more interactive with the owner's family, but didn't want to overstep our bounds or intrude on them. Maybe that's more indicative of our own hesitation than their lack of willingness, but it was something I noticed!

Overall, I would encourage others to stay there - it was a really cool, different experience, and we would do it again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My family stayed at Tierra Soul, and we got along so easily with the family that runs the B&Bee that it was like staying with friends. Our son got along wonderfully with their two kiddos, which meant a lot more peace for us parents as we could sit back and let them all play. I love the furry sheep, the help-yourself coffee/tea setup and Fia's mini piano concert. We definitely plan on staying again on our future trips to Portland. We were there in the off-season, so it was really just our family and the family that owns the BB, which felt very friendly and intimate.

It is also walking distance from lots of great shops and restaurants. We were able to get there from the airport via public transportation with no problems, and then we could walk all around the neighborhood to eat and buy souvenirs.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

We came to pdx for an extended weekend. Loved the house and farm tour. Felt like there was a few too many rules about when to shower and washing our own dishes. I don't go on vacation to do my own dishes. Comfy bed and cool vibe but the naked baby running around the house was a little much. Overall worth the stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in 2012 on my last leg of a Vancouver, Seattle and Portland trip. I wanted somewhere to stay that wasn't a generic chain hotel, or an out of the way, stuffy B&B. I truly enjoyed the unique feel, chatting with other travelers over coffee in the morning. I was walking distance from cool shopping and public transit that took me right into downtown in about 10 minutes and was provided with maps and tips for getting around.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Black Diamond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I forget what I Googled to find this place. Possibly hippy bed and breakfast or maybe it was authentic Portland lodgings. Whatever the query, we sure got what we came for; four nights in a real family home and a glimpse into our hosts’ daily lives and routines.

If all you’re seeking is a place to lay your head then keep looking as you probably won’t be happy with Tierra Soul. If you want a unique and truthful time with people who welcome you into their home but aren’t going to make a fuss about it then go ahead and book your stay.

I’ll finish this post in list format as that seems to be how most like to consume information.

The Great:
• The Tierra Soul children are hilarious. Both precocious and cute the brother and older sister kept we and our young son entertained and well informed about the urban farm animals and upkeep.
• The mattress is quite plush. It’s a very comfortable space age foam thing. We stayed in the Loft and were pleased with the king size bed for us and the single for our son. It also has a private bath, the only room in the joint that doesn’t have shared facilities.
• The hand made soap found in every room is a rich and lathery treat. The secret according to Krista, co-owner of Tierra Soul, is FAT. Soap made with animal
fat is a luxury that really must be experienced.
• The first hand look at how this family functions in their daily lives is an adventure in itself. Not much is hidden here, from their philosophy on child-rearing to what they eat and drink and how to prepare it is all on display and open to questions, discussion and sharing. Both Krista and David have a lot of knowledge about food; both the production and preparation.
• The goats, ducks and chickens are a wonder. We come from a place where farming happens on a much larger scale so to see gardening and animal husbandry on a standard city lot is an eye-opener.

The Cold Hard Truth (according to us)
• There is a lock on the front door but it doesn’t get used. I was a little unsettled about falling asleep with no lock between my family and the outside world but in all fairness I’m still alive and well.
• They do ask you sort your garbage into recyclables and landfill/compost waste. I tried my best but there was only one bin with no bag so we did have a bit of a mess on our hands at the end of our stay. I travel with garbage bags so I didn’t mention this issue to our hosts as it wasn’t a huge deal. I’m certain they would have remedied the situation if I’d bothered to bring it to their attention.
• Your socks may get wrecked. The house boasts the original floorboards. They are a little rough in spots and have a tendency to hook onto sock threads. Either bring slippers or keep your shoes on.

You would be hard pressed to find another family who will welcome you into their home, warts and all, like the Arias family at Tierra Soul. They are not phony and won’t try to kiss you as you arrive but hopefully you’ll leave having created a few genuine friendships.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I first came to this special little urban farm through wwoofing. I was welcomed authentically and right away they asked me what I would like to get out of my experience there. By the end of my three months, I had learned everything I'd hoped to. Since then, I have been back many times as a farm-stayer and as a guest to Tierra Soul events. This family and sweet little farm appeal to special folk and is perfect for people like me who like to hang out with goats, hear the sounds of children around and snuggle into a cup of tea. Nothing fancy here... just real people making a big impact in a small space.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Tierra Soul Urban Farm Guesthouse? Share your experiences!