“Service to be desired” 2 of 5 stars
Review of River's Edge Hotel & Spa

You added River's Edge Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
River's Edge Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   0455 Southwest Hamilton Court, Portland, OR 97239 (Formerly Avalon Hotel & Spa)   |
Ranked #40 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Redmond
“Service to be desired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

Maybe I'm biased, who knows...but being a person who for years was in the management level of dealing with guests at a 4 diamond boutique hotel...I feel that I just might know a thing or two about the hospitality industry and the level of service you should provide guests. This hotel provided everything but. I arrived at this establishment only to have to wait five minutes for the valet to walk from the lobby to my vehicle...he didnt provide assistance in opening the door, with our luggage (or even offer an umbrella).
I had requested that the front desk make reservations for me at a restaraunt in the city that they 'highly recommended'. They called to confirm that this had taken place. When I arrived, we had to wait over 45 minutes to be seated since there was no record of a reservation under my name or the hotels. The town car service was nice, however the driver could have been more professional then having "gangster rap"(what was stated on radio station) in the car. We requested turndown service, only to arrive with that not done. In the morning we requested express checkout(have bill ready) had to wait at the front desk in the morning. Finally, the valet...19 dollars a day, when the valet simply parked my car next to the sidewalk in front of the hotel....which is where I pulled the car up to when I arrived from my evening in town. Very dissapointed...I did enjoy my room, the restaraunt they had on site served wonderful veal.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

Just tried to make reservations here. I called twice and each time the person answering the phone was rude. I was transferred to reservation clerk and they were not availble. I twice left a message and they never called me back! Unbelievable attitude given the recession. I read many reviews of the Avalon which describe a rude and inexpereinced staff.

I decided to try another hotel. The staff was much friendlier and the reservatins person very helpful. Needless to say, I am staying elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

This hotel was legitimate. It was spotless, luxurious and the customer service was impeccable. They have a town car to run you into the city that runs from about 7 am - 10 pm (no drunk pick ups at 2 am, though..use a cap for that). Anyhow, my room was nice. Near the river with a nice little jogging trail. Safe neighborhood, which was nice because one night I had to ride the street car/MAX to a drop off point and walk 5 minutes to the hotel. Really great place. Reasonable for the price you are paying. The gym had a ton of equipment, all new and clean. The spa was very nice. What can I complain about at this hotel? Oh, wait..really nothing. My stay in Portland was fabulous. I highly recommend the Saturday Street Fair in downtown, the Spaghetti factory next door, the Smiling Tortoise if you are into bars, the aerial tram if you are into great views and well, just roam around Portland yourself...rockin' town.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Reno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

We stayed here on our way to Washington and liked it so well we made a point to stay here for two nights on the way back. It's not downtown, which was a plus for us. It is set in a pleasant residential/light commercial area right next to the Willamette River and a Willamette River trail with easy I5 freeway on/off.

The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. The beds were average but the linens excellent with a nice fresh smell.

We had a beautiful peek of the city from our first room (room 500).

The Fitness Center included gender separated locker rooms each with a steam room, whirlpool (spa, whatever), sauna. The workout area had multiple elipticals, treadmills, etc. and lots of weight stations. I cannot believe they feature this more prominently on their website.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

The hotel has a great design inside and out, but the rooms are a bit like an embassy suits, just a bit newer. It's "out of town" two miles, so it'a a cab or the coutesy car into the city. (Make sure you reserve the car early in the day) Most disturbing is the "Parking Fee" that they do not disclose at reservation time! The Air Conditioning sounds like a jet airplane (I mentioned something to the staff, but only received a blank stare), I would not stay here is you are a lite sleeper! The Gym is very nice, with a ton of equipment, view, and four tvs with private volume headsets! No Fridge in room.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

We read about this hotel in a Frommer's book on Oregon. They listed this hotel as a luxery hotel and they raved about it. So we booked it. The hotel itself is a super nice building wih nice decorations and nice rooms. So, if that's all you want, book this place. But the PEOPLE!!! The EMPLOYEES!! Terrible. I mean, really terrible. I normally don't care much about how the employees treat me - I just want a beautiful place to rest my head. But this was ridiculous. The valet NEVER even offered to take our bags, though we parked ourselves in the valet parking lot (because its not marked as a valet lot). My pregnant wife stood in the rain holding her own suitcase while the valet told us that was a valet lot. I finally said, "Can you tell us this inside? Its raining.". The valet opened the hotel lobby door for us so we could walk in -- NEVER TAKING OUR BAGS!!!! Then we checked in. The lady checking us in was for sure a robot. She had to be. She told us the "rules and regulations" of staying with them. Never bothered to say welcome or anything social. My wife even commented that checking into their hotel was more like signing waivers before a medical procedure. The front desk lady was not affected but the comment. She continued giving us the "rules". Later, the valet pulled our car closer to the door but still let us walk in the rain to actually get in it - all while he stood somewhere dry. And he said, "Hey, pull the car right here when you come back." Nice. This hotel is beautiful. The location is terrible, but we knew that when booking it. But, with such a terrible location, they should fire all the robots and hire some folks who are trained to work in the hotel industy. Or, they are going to be forced to rely on "one-stay-wonders" to pay their bills. We won't be back - ever. And, by the way, I always use Trip Advisor before booking any trips. I have never ever posted a review. But this hotel needs this comment. Hope this helps some future travelers avoid this place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Warrenton, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I stayed here for a business trip. It can be a little bit of challenge to get to the hotel from the freeway. The room was very nice and quiet. It had a nice, comfy king bed. There was pleny of room as well. The staff was very nice. There is no parking at the hotel so either you park the car on the street or pay for the valet parking. I'm not sure I would be comfortable parking my car at the street there. Overall, a good place to stay and I would come back again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business

Been to River's Edge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!