“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of River's Edge Hotel & Spa

You added River's Edge Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
River's Edge Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   0455 Southwest Hamilton Court, Portland, OR 97239 (Formerly Avalon Hotel & Spa)   |
Ranked #39 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bend, Oregon
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I picked this hotel because it was a boutique hotel, which allowed dogs and had a restaurant. However, the restaurant was not available because of a private party and there isn't another restaurant within walking distance. I've been gone all day working in the rain and now there isn't anyplace to go without taking a cab. I think the location would be better with other restuarant options which of course are downtown and if your going to book the restaurant have something prepared for the guests such as free shuttle service or something for the inconvenience. How about recommending a place to eat, other than Subway.

Of course they nickle and dime you with little charges, which includes room service and their lack of a restaurant is the reason for room service.

I am very disappointed, I think they should have notified guests of the above. I think service should be their number one goal and for a four star I feel like I am staying in a typical chain.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Hi Judy!

I'm so sorry for the inconvenience of Aquariva being closed for a private event Saturday night - I can appreciate your frustration. I do know that when you checked in, the day before, we alerted you of this closure, but I can appreciate even that is last minute. We did start calling guests a week prior to let them know about the private event. The issue was that since you booked your reservation through a third party, we did not have your personal information to be able to contact you prior to your arrival.

Our courtesy Lincoln Navigator was available for you to use, we would have happily taken you anywhere you wanted to go. I apologize that you were unaware of this invaluable amenity - shame on us for not making it clear to you that we were at your disposal in this situation. I think it would have saved you from disappointment had you been able to utilize this service.

I really do hope you give us another chance, I would love the opportunity to make things right for you.

All my best,

Christine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed at the River's Edge Hotel & Spa three nights this week while attending a workshop in Portland. The workshop was a short walk down the river path from the hotel, so the location was fantastic for me. My sister stayed with me the first night before flying home, and we used the car service to take us and pick us up from Andinas restaurant in the Pearl District. A great service and much appreciated! My room was very nice, with the only downfall being the old TV. However, I see from the responses to other reviews that this is in the process of being changed, so it will cease to be an issue very shortly. I had breakfast and dinner at the restaurant and enjoyed both experiences. The food was good and the wait staff was excellent. All in all, I had a great stay and would certainly return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi there!

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed staying with us! I love when our guests are able to take advantage of our amenities such as our Navigator Service and our full service restaurant. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but we've only been open for breakfast for a few months. When the owners bought River's Edge Hotel & Spa, Aquariva was closed for breakfast. After listening to our guests, we decided that we needed to offer them this service. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed Chef Seth's offerings :-)

The same can be said about our Navigator. We're into our second month of this adventure and although we are still working through a few kinks, it has been a huge success being able to offer courtesy transportation to our guests.

I sincerely hope to hear from you so I may personally assist you in making reservations the next time you are in Portland!

Warmest of Regards,

Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Helpful staff, nice location, reasonable rate, good rooms, complimentary car service and bikes. No refrigerator in room but staff brought one up when requested. Clothing optional jacuzzi, sauna, and steam room in each dressing room of the spa/gym.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hello to Sunny Santa Cruz!

Thank you for the review! I love that you noticed our bikes even though it's January in Portland! We are certainly an environmentally friendly city, and will ride our bikes 365 days a year, but we certainly don't expect our guests to...kudos to you if you braved the cold! On the flip side of that cold ride, is our gorgeous new Navigator with heated leather seats...ooohhhhlala :-)

I don't know how often you come back to Portland, but hopefully we will have some more new items to share with you...including those personal refrigerators!!!

I hope you will reach out to me personally so I may welcome you back.

Grants Pass, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have stayed in this hotel a couple of times and I have to say that since they have changed ownership EVERYTHING has gone down hill. I would no longer recommend staying here. The reason they are now offering good deals is that they have cut corners on everything else. The people at the front were nice, but not actually helpful when truly needed.Everything was overpriced on the room service and they cut there menu in half. We got a junior suite with old t.v's, Come on I can stay in a Motel 6 and get a HD. No fridge of any kind no ice on my floor no directory to find anything, so you have to continually call the front desk to find out the simplest of information. It is very disappointing to say that in one year this has gone from my favorite place to stay to.... I will never stay here again. You can find a better deal closer to downtown with more amenities and better rooms.

Green Features: Seem very aware of our environmental needs. :Thats about the only good thing I can say about this place this year.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello!

Thank you for letting us know about your stay with us in December. I was very sad to read your review and that you feel you won't be returning.

As the new owners (since July of 2013) of the hotel, I wanted to apologize for the outdated TV's. These are the same TV's that have been in the hotel since it was built...2001...and we are in the process of replacing them. Actually, the TV is the easy - and fun - part! We've had those babies picked out for months - they're the latest and greatest, oversized, LCD's! Our issue is the armoire that is currently in the room - it's too small to hold the large TV. Our design team has created a new credenza for us, but the lengthy part comes in when trying to custom make 99 of them.

In addition to the TV's, we are also getting refridgerators for all guest rooms and suites. Due to the fact that none of the rooms have ever had them, we bought several, and will bring them to your room free of charge, until the new ones are installed (they're going in those same credenzas as the TV's).

As for those missing directories, you are correct, it wasn't there. With the new ownership change, we had to remove all the old printed material that referred to the previous management company. I was just chatting with our General Manager today and the final touches are being put on our in-room collateral. I am very sorry that we haven't been able to get those in the rooms sooner. I know how frustrating it can be to not have what you are looking for.

I was surprised to see your comment about the ice machines. When we bought the hotel, there was only one (on the first floor) and we have now installed one on the third, and fifth, floors for added convenience. Perhaps you stayed on the first floor the last time you were here which would explain why you didn't know it was the only one in the hotel. I'm sorry that you weren't able to recognize this added amenity.

We also added bikes since you were here last, although in December I can see why you wouldn't want to take advantage of that :-) We also upgraded our WiFi, and bought a brand new Lincoln Navigator to take you into downtown, complimentary. We also opened Aquariva for breakfast, but still kept the complimentary coffee, tea, and flavored water. We do have a new Chef, and anytime there is a menu change, it can cause challenges for loyal patrons. I'm sorry that you found the menu lacking. Seth is very accommodating and would certainly take any specific comments to what you would like to see added, to heart.

I'm hoping after taking the time to read my novel, you will reconsider staying with us again. Please reach out to me directly and I will ensure that your stay will be fabulous!

Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I needed a hotel near the Sellwood bridge for a weekend visit. It was a bit over my budget, but well worth it. Easy ride from the airport at midnight. My river view room had it all...huge, comfy bed, large bathroom with a shower stall and bath tub, thermostat to control the heat.
I awoke to a beautiful sunrise over the river. A few runners flew by on the paved trail along the river. I threw on my running shoes and ran a couple miles on the trail myself.
By the way, if you are parking a car, it costs $22 a day unless you have a hybrid...then it is free.

Room Tip: Higher floor on river side has a beautiful view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Hi!

I'm so glad you found us - it sounds like we are exactly where you needed to be! I give you props for braving our frigid weather and taking a run along the river. It is such a beautiful path but wow...running in 30 degree weather takes a level of commitment that is noteworthy...well done!

I hope we get to see you next time!

North Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I booked this hotel because it is near the house of my niece where I was welcoming the newest member of the family. The family had a good experience when they came in September for the baby shower. I too found the hotel and staff to be pleasant and accommodating. My room was large enough and facing the river. The bathroom was modern, large and spa-like. The bed was very comfortable and house keeping was excellent.
I did not use the spa services or the gym, but the area seemed open and warm. The restaurant was great for breakfast and made me wish I had time to try it for dinner.
I would stay here again for my next visit and would recommend it to friends and family without reservations. A short walk away is the public street car or the hotel has a Navigator that takes you downtown .

Room Tip: Ask for and pay extra for river view. Specify and ask for a room not on the first floor unless you e...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your story! Congratulations on your newest member of the family...what an exciting time for all of you! hopefully you'll get to use the Spa, Fitness Center and Bikes the next time you are here with us. Let me know when you are coming and I will make sure you are not on the first floor :-)

Richmond, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

My husband calls this the perfect hotel! The rooms were really reasonable for what we got: refrigerators, cots, gym, parking, bicycles, sauna in the spa, etc were no charge! There were NO extras which was so pleasant. The staff was incredible down to cleaning! They have naturally flavored chilled water (strawberry, melon, citrus, etc.) in the lobby with cups for your convenience. They have a nice restaurant right on the river (we saw the holiday boat parade from our table!). There is a lovely running/walking/biking path along the river beside the hotel and the bikes are free of charge! The beds were incredibly comfy and the room had 2 king beds! We will always stay here on our regular visits to Portland!

Room Tip: Ask for 2 king beds for the larger rooms. The river view rooms have tub and separate shower.
Green Features: They won the green award. They use bio-degradable cups for complimentary water and coffee.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Christine A, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hi there!

I love that you chose to point out something in your Room tip that is unusual - our double rooms have two KING size beds and we have separate glass showers - so unique!!!

I'm so happy that all went so well and that you love our little hotel as much as we do! What's even better is that you were able to utilize all the little extras that we provide to try and make our guest's stay that much more enjoyable.

We are very much looking forward to your return!

All my best for a Happy New Year!

Christine

Been to River's Edge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!