“Perfectly Lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of River's Edge Hotel & Spa

You added River's Edge Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
River's Edge Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   0455 Southwest Hamilton Court, Portland, OR 97239 (Formerly Avalon Hotel & Spa)   |
Ranked #41 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Perfectly Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed 2 nights over the Christmas holiday-- wishing it was longer. The staff/valets were warm, friendly & accommodating,, esp. for working on a holiday-- thanks so much Ethan (front desk), & Shannon (room service etc). My room on 4th floor w. river view was delightful, wifi for my iPad totally adequate. I reserved the spa package at approx. $246./night: received 2 vouchers for $95. each -good for any spa treatment. The spa was spacious, clean, well-kept, nicely laid out- I Loved It. I could use the steam, sauna, jacuzzi anytime as a hotel guest. Got great massage(s) from Lily &Ryan, and facial-mani/pedi etc from Margaret-- so Nice. I felt really taken care of. There's also a very spacious gym just upstairs from the spa that I took a tour of. From room service I had cannelloni style pasta filled with butternut squash in brown sugar butter sage sauce (something like that) -Fantastic. Slept like a baby. Having just moved to Portland, I'm already thinking-- when can I go back ? :-) Just a short 4-5 car ride to downtown... it was actually better for me to be just outside the hustle. There's also a nice walking/jogging trail right along side the river. And the fruit-infused ice water in spa/lobby: Yum. Continental breakfast was simple, good, fresh (great granola). Would go back in a heartbeat <3.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear sara352,

I appreciate you taking the time to post an amazing review of your stay with us. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services, and facilities. My colleagues were equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. Ethan, Shannon, Lily and Ryan were thrilled when the great news was shared.

Did I read you just moved to Portland? Contact me as soon as you can, I will be delighted to assist you with your reservations arrangements.

All the best,
River's Edge Hotel and Spa
Phone: 503.802.5807

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Hillsborough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Overall the hotel is pleasant, however there were 2 glaring issues.
1. Lack of work space in the guest room
2. Lack of convenient electrical outlet access in the room
3. Alarm clock was across the room, no where near the bed in room# 136
2. Lack of WIFI access in the guest rooms.

I checked into to room# 500 and had no WIFI signal. I called the front desk to complain and they said that the higher floors have very poor WIFI signals. I was moved to room# 136 and there was no improvement. When I took my Ipad to the main lobby, the WIFI worked fine. It seems the hotel is aware of the WIFI issue but really does a poor job in communicating this upon check in. Needless to say, having WIFI access in one's hotel room in today's business environment is vital.

The gym is terrific and the restaurant next door, Aquariva is top notch.

Room Tip: Confirm with hotel that the in-room WIFI access has been remedied before booking trip.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear gleon1011,

We would like to apologize for not living up to your expectations. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your experience. We are pleased to know you enjoyed our fitness center and recommended our restaurant, Aquariva Italian Kitchen.

Regards,

River's Edge Hotel and Spa
Phone: 503.802.5807
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

To be honest, I prefer staying downtown. Portland is a great city to walk around and from here you either have to take the streetcar or a not inexpensive cab ride. But a colleague arranged for me to stay here, and the hotel itself is very nice. I'd have given it a 5 if I'd had a river view room, but I didn't, and the room I had looked out over an industrial area, which meant that zi couldn't sleep with the curtains open because of the ambient light.

That being said, the hotel staff was very friendy and responsive, especially when zi needed to get to the airport at 4 in the morning and the cab I'd arranged never showed.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Sofiastayshome,

Thank you for your recent review of River's Edge Hotel and Spa. We appreciate your compliments regarding our friendly staff and their quick reaction to your needs. We sincerely hope you will stay with us again and enjoy the wonderful and relaxing views our Riverside rooms offer as well as all the amenities we have available for you from complimentary continental breakfast, to the use of our fitness center, whirlpool, sauna, and steam rooms.

Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a fabulous boutique hotel. The rooms are modern but more important beautiful, clean, comfortable, with a touch of luxury and an exquisite view of the river. The staff at the hotel and restaurant are the perfect combination of professional and friendly. They go out of their way to ensure you have a great experience. The water jug with fresh fruit waiting for you in the lobby is as refreshing as it is beautiful. The continental breakfast on each floor is Northwest natural and healthy. Their handmade granola is so delicious I want to package it. From the valet parking to their spa to their onsite restaurant it makes sense to call this hidden gem a resort for the traveler!

Room Tip: All rooms that face the river are spectacular. I like the 3rd and 4th floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Cindypain,

I appreciate you taking the time to post an amazing review of your stay with us. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

phoenix oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Quiet rooms with super comfortable beds right on the Columbia. There is a greenway right out the door that goes for miles! Easy drive into Portland but get directions as coming back is a little trickier.Great spa on premises!

Room Tip: Ask for room on fifth floor with river view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mcchrystal,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at River's Edge Hotel and Spa. We are very lucky to be located next to the Cottonwood Bay on the Willamette River which offers great views while walking or jogging on the trail. We would love the opportunity to host you on your next visit to Portland.

Best Regards

Olympia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Very nice room and very, very clean and upscale. Soooo quiet! Great continental breakfast! I loved this place!! Will stay here again!! The staff is very friendly. Would love to try the spa next time. Love the Valet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear DorothyH,

We are really happy to know that you had a great experience at River's Edge Hotel and Spa. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we do appreciate your kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Portland

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I can't say enough great things about this hotel! I'll start with our arrival... We were greeted by the most courteous valets(I believe their names were Nathan and Dave). The front desk staff was awaiting us with warm friendly smiles and check-in was a breeze. The two ladies at the front desk (Kristen and a dark haired one one named Ann?) were very knowledgeable about Portland and the hotel amenities. It was our first trip to Portland and they were obviously passionate about their city and their hotel. We were given a wealth of information and recommendations.

The housekeeping staff was great, our room was spotless and comfortable. We forgot our toothbrushes and housekeeping promptly brought us some after we called. I don't know if it's Portland in general or just the staff at River's Edge Hotel, but everyone just seemed so happy and willing to help. Their great attitudes were just contagious!

The spa facilities, Continental breakfast and the free wireless more than made up for having to pay for parking. We didn't have time to do spa treatments this time but we will definitely make sure we save time for that next time. The spa treatments looked divine! Thank you to everyone for making our trip to Portland so great, we'll be back!!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the riverside rooms! The view is worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RiversEdgeHotel, Manager at River's Edge Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Joeypoey,

And we thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent stay with us and for mentioning the great service you received from members of our team from the Valet, Front Desk Agents, to our Room Attendants.

I will be delighted to assist you with your next reservations arrangements, we need to make sure we book spa treatments for you, see you soon.

ana.maret@riversedgehotel.com

Been to River's Edge Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!