“Wow.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Penticton, Canada
“Wow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

What a huge surprise to find a Mexican restaurant that prepares authentic Mexican food (process/preparation wise) and focuses on regionalism at the same time. I love how local ingredients are used across the menu. This is what one finds when travelling across Mexico - mexican food that varies region to region and is prepared as such. Further, these folks really care about where their ingredients come from and giving back to community. These are incredibly important to me. And the food is simply wow.

My fiance and I were travelling across the US and this was one of our stops. Our road trip was from Seattle to San Diego and back to Seattle. This by far has been the best restaurant we ate at. We talk about it to this day and I can tell you we shall be making a trip just to Portland to eat here :) We had the Guacamole tortillas, Gringas con Mole and I ordered off the specials board - shrimp tacos. All were amazing. I couldn't get enough of their corn tortillas. Yum.

One not so great thing was that the server we had was not that great, however, we were one of the last couples in the restaurant and I believe everyone was just ready to go home. This would not deter me though...I tend to go to places to eat and great service is just icing on the cake.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Excellent Mexican find up in the hills”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We planned on eating at the brewery next door, but it did't work out, and the reviews for Verde Cocina were very good, so we gave it a try.The place is pretty tiny with a bar downstairs and tables upstairs. Our waiter was very helpful and professional in helping us pick drinks and entrees. There was no problem when the sangria that was ordered, but very bitter was sent back in favor of a margarita.We ordered the beef tacos and the Gringas con Mole which was basically two rolled tortillas with pork and veggies and sauce. Both dishes were excellent with fresh ingredients and wonderful flavor. We ended with a tequila tasting that was very interesting. I'm not sure how the ratings work in the multiple locations, but the Hillsdale location was excellent. We will be back and will also try the one in the Pearl.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Great Potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Really great. Honestly - Verde Cocina Cafe is a great little casual dining spot in the Hillsdale area. The thing that surprises me most about the restaurant - why haven't we been here before last week?

The location is cool (in an old depot building in Hillsdale). The concept is fantastic - fresh Mexican (true Mexican cuisine and not Tex-Mex) food at reasonable prices. And the food is all prepared with a fairly strict code to the fidelity of nuevo-Mexican food . . . with a obvious nod to "Portland" eating (i.e. gluten-free, vegan and pale-specific dishes). We had a wide variety of dishes - all of which came hot, quickly and with a friendly smile (NB: every dish needed a bit of salt to enhance the flavors). The flavors of the dishes were all a little unique - a difficult task that many restaurants in this price-point will overlook.

The major complaint I have for Verde Cocina Cafe (a complaint that mirrors many of the other reviews for the restaurant) is the service. The service was inconsistent and appeared poorly coordinated. It seemed that the wait staff were all new to the server industry and lacked a clear direction on helping or enhancing the dining experience . . . or even a clear understanding of how to provide table service. In-and-of itself, this was a bit of an "annoyance" - but by no stretch of the imagination a game-changer for our experience at Verde Cocina Cafe. In fact, I enjoyed the flavors of the food so much, that I found myself making excuses for the poor service.

If the management can get a better handle on how to train their front line staff, this place is going to really take off and become another Portland "must visit" restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon
“Favorite New Restaurant in the Pearl”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I would eat lunch here every sunday afternoon if I could. The Gringas con Mole with veggies is my favorite. Tons of fresh veggies topped with mole sauce is just amazing. The food is always super fresh and the service is always friendly and accommodating. Its not traditional mexican but in my opinion a modern healthy take on mexican food. I really love sitting by the large open air door, relaxing, having a wonderful meal and sipping an ice cold beer.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Not All That”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Recent raves and long lines led me to hold high expectations for Verde Cocina. The upstairs indoor seating was cluttered and overly-bright and the waitress was frenetic and inappropriately loud. A tone kept going off, too. Food was okay but just not as full-flavored as Latin food should be. Highlights were the delicious guacamole and a spicy margarita. A big plus if it applies to you is their approach to food needs and preferences. All items are gluten-free, there were vegan and vegetarian options, and it's all clearly labelled.

• Visited May 2013