“Great location, Great Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown

You added Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2333 NW Vaughn St, Portland, OR 97210 (Northwest District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #31 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Payette, Idaho
“Great location, Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was in town for just a quick overnight stay and I've stayed at this hotel in the past. I really like the location because I can get out and explore the neighborhood on 23rd Street and have a semi-downtown Portland experience without truly having to go downtown. It's an interesting area with some nice shops and restaurants.
My room was clean and comfortable. I will admit the view of the cement wall was a bit disappointing but by the time I got back to my room to look out the window it was dark. The front desk staff were efficient and attentive and the breakfast bar in the morning was clean and well stocked.
A good experience overall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Leo P, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy all of our amenities here at the Holiday Inn Express. We apologize about the quality of the view in your room. Please contact us for any future reservations to request a room with a view.

Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Pacific Northwest, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Every HIExpress where I've stayed has been filled with wonderful staff, and this was no exception. I checked in on a Sunday evening and had a very noisy child in a nearby room that kept me up until midnight, so I only had about four hours sleep (not fun since I was in town for a class I was teaching). The next morning I explained the problem and asked if Marc could move me to another room. He quickly obliged and asked me to just have my items put together and they would take care of moving everything to a quiet room on the fourth floor while I was out. When I returned in the evening everything was in a new room and I got a wonderful nights sleep.

Beds were nice (medium firm), good selection of pillows, breakfast was good. I very much appreciated that they had a binder out labelled 'Food Ingredients' as I have some food allergies and I hate bothering the staff with questions in the morning when they are busy. Thank you for that!

Location was good, easy to find, quick trip into downtown Portland (5 minutes).

Thanks for a pleasant stay, when I'm overnight in Portland for business I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Fourth floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review of our hotel! Our staff, especially Mark, does everything they can to accommodate any requests our guests may have. We are very sorry to hear about the noise from your neighbors, but we are glad that Mark was able to address your situation in a timly manner.

We look forward to seeing you again next time!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Spent a week here and truly enjoyed it. Had never stayed in North Portland, and had a good time strolling up & down 23rd street.

Rooms are good, standard HIE breakfast, easy on/off the highway, free on-site parking. Nice place, I'll hopefully be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our hotel! NW Portland is a great part of Portland to visit. As you said, 23rd is a lot of fun to stroll, and enjoy!

We look forward to seeing you once again!
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

HIE had a new Front desk person during our weekend stay. Extremely helpful, efficient, prompt, cordial, accommodating, knowledgable; almost super human. We got the floor and view per online request. Room was clean, nights quiet. Neighbourhood was safe at night. Will come back again.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your review. We are so very happy to hear that our staff member was able to be so helpful during your stay.

Hope to see you again soon!
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

stayed in the holiday inn express downtown portland for 2 nights
i've found the location very convenient for walking at downtown and for driving to anywhere in the area since its located on the highway entrance
free parking is also important since other hotels in the city charge for parking
the staff were very welcoming and this is always nice to have
the room itself is normal - gives good value for the money
only thing about this hotel and most of holiday inn i've been to is the pillow quality. the pillows are synthetic and do not "remember" the shape of the head. changing all pillows for hotel is quite an expense and for the price you pay i would not expect to get a real geese pillow but its just a thought

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your review!

Our location is one of a kind, and we are so glad that you were able to take advantage of all that Nob Hill has to offer. Please let us know which pillow type you perfer the next time you are here. We will always try out best to ensure that our guests get the best sleep quality possible!

Thank you again.
Coos Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Hotel staff was awesome and very helpful with places to eat and since I was there during Christmas the local street to go for some christmas lights that was close by. They were changing wallpaper on the floor I was on and it was very messy but the room was quiet and clean. Breakfast is complimentary and something for everyone. I used the fitness area which was better than most, treadmills, indoor pool and spa and plenty of towels and water available in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Tiffany C, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hello Wonderers8!

Thank you for writing your review of our hotel! We are very happy that our hotel met your needs and that our staff was "awesome"! We love to hear it and are very very happy to be there for you!

Have a fantastic new year and please do come back and visit us again!

Tiffany Cushman and the rest of the Holiday Inn Express Staff :)
seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Arrived and had to wait on a room. The desk agent was very helpful and found one soon after.After a long trip, I was ready just to relax. The lobby, breakfast area, everything looked very professional and like the typical Holiday Inn Express. Not a 5 star hotel, but would expect at least a 3 star. Once I had my keys, I got on the elevator up to my floor. There was a small piece of paper inside the elevator that said "pardon our mess." Once the elevator doors opened, I realized what a 'mess' it really was. It felt like I was in a 3rd world country. As I tried to relax, they were ripping wall sconces off the wall, sanding the walls, panting the walls. They had even removed the numbers from the doors and had post it notes with the room numbers. At one point we saw several kids moving room numbers around to confuse people. It was loud, the smell was awful, and it was uncomfortable. Later my friends arrived separately. I had assured them that Holiday Inn Express were consistently quality hotels and not to worry about any problems. When they showed up, I was downright embarrassed that I had made the reservations. The desk staff were very nice and helpful. There is a small convenience store next to the hotel, maybe 30 feet from the front door, but even walking there at night feels sketchy. If my friends weren't already on the way and I hadn't already checked in, I would have demanded they book me in another hotel. As it was, I felt stuck. You can take a look at the photos yourself? Is this a place you'd expect to pay $120 a night for a basic room? Inside the room wasn't so bad, everything outside the room other than the lobby was scary. The hallways, the area, the people hanging out at the store next door. They should have closed the floors off to customers during major renovations. This is not the way to provide quality hospitality to patrons.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before paying or checking in to make sure you're not on a floor being renov...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear struct84,

I appreciate your willingness to share your experience! I am pleased to know the service you received from our staff was good. Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the conditions of the halls due to the renovations. Rest assured, I have taken note of your comments and will be forwarding it to the appropriate departments. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portland Downtown? Share your experiences!