“You really shouldn't scam your customers” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1,983 of 3,621 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“You really shouldn't scam your customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011 via mobile

Our server Sydney charged our party of four a 19% gratuity. When I asked about the charge she claimed it was because we ordered more than five dishes and the policy written on the menu was to automatically add a 19% gratuity. I asked to see the menu. After some time she presented it saying the policy is only written in Chinese. I said that was not fair to customers who cannot read Chinese. I read Chinese. The Chinese characters Sydney was referring to merely say the suggested gratuity is 15% and not that any number in a party or any number of dishes ordered will incur an automatic gratuity. She took no responsibility in the matter saying that's how she was trained. I doubt that. I believe Sydney is deliberately padding the bill hoping the customer doesn't notice then tipping on top of that. Her service was slow, mediocre and she made no attempt to resolve the situation to our satisfaction. If you were here and witnessed this event I apologize for disturbing your meal. Bottom line the food is good and if you eat here, check the itemized receipt carefully before you pay.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Portland, Oregon
“Good food - fresh and spicy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

one of the best dishes was the potstickers and dan dan noodles. Everything is hot (spicy) and cooked fresh. Limited menu items but very different from traditional Chinese cuisine.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Sorry, but the food & decor have nothing going for it...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We visited this restaurant due to a $12 Groupon coupon I purchased. The restaurant decor was dark and depressing so we ate outside. The spring rolls had no spring, they were dry and tasteless. We each ordered the Kung Pao chicken which was smothered in red hot peppers. Other than the spice, this was also tasteless. The chicken and rice were both dry and unappealing. For the money we spent on this lunch (even with the coupon) we could have had authentic, delicious, and most satisfying Asian meal at My Canh for less money.

• Visited July 2011