“Excellent Food in SE Neighborhood” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #414 of 3,541 restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: Please add this one so I can review it- so delicious!
Battle Ground, Washington
“Excellent Food in SE Neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

While we have eaten here several times, the food this time was the so good this time that I am still savoring it two days later. We started by sharing a beet salad, followed by dumplings and chicken. All was perfect. The wines were excellent and reasonably priced. The dessert and coffee were a great ending to a very good meal with perfect service. We never wanted for anything. We are looking for reasons to go back to this place when we are not heading to the theater nearby.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

85% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Wanted for Greatness, but a Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This place is destined for great things.

There was a large toast/pancake piece in the middle of the table. It was too large, too obvious to miss. The server put our menus on both sides of it, as if the menus were frames to the piece of left over food from the previous guests. He missed it. Then again, he missed the 1-centimeter length of food while placing our drinks on the table. A bit afterwards, I brushed it off with the menu. Perhaps our server is near sighted. However, besides this flub he was a good server.

The food was tasty. My breakfast companion enjoyed pumpkin pancakes with bacon and I had the braised beef bowl with fried eggs and toast. The bacon was prepared well. The braised beef was just the right amount of savory.

There was a bit that shocked us. When we ordered the pancakes we had the option of upgrading for maple syrup for $1.50. Shocked! We're in Portland. We're at a local place. Why did they not factor in real maple syrup in the price of the pancakes. This is not McDonald's. This is not IHOP. Why not charge a little bit for pancakes in order to cover the cost of maple syrup. Maple syrup should not be an option to upgrade. This is absurd! I'm acknowledge I'm not eating at the Four Seasons, but I'm also not at Denny's. Roost is serving breakfast entrees for $10.00+. When you're serving not run-of-the-mill pancakes, you should offer maple syrup with the stacks. Increase the price of the pancakes, but don't offer maple syrup as an upgrade; Roost is better than that.

Visited October 2012
“Wonderful Saturday Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Tried this restaurant for the first time and what a delight. Had two cod cakes with two perfect poached eggs with a nice dill sauce. French pressed coffee topped the meal. Service was excellent and the decor is very urban and comfortable. The type of place you enjoy the meal and conversation. Can't wait to try a dinner.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aloha, OR
“Good little Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

It was Saturday night and my husband and I decided to go out. I had read about Roost and wanted to try it. It was easy to find but we are familiar with the area. Street parking only which was easy too. The restaurant is very small but it was also almost empty. I'm pretty sure it was because the Oregon Ducks were playing on TV that night. They started by bringing us a bottle of tap water with a charcoal filter in it which made the water taste very clean. I started with the Cauliflower fritters which were GREAT!! My husband had salad which he said was good. My entree was the pan-fried chicken with cheddar cheese bread pudding. Both were very good. My husband had the duck which he was good also. We passed on dessert. I think the food was good but a little over-priced. My husband had a glass of wine for $9.50 and his salad was $10. It was good but I don't think I'll go back. Too many other places to try. The kitchen has windows so you can watch them prepare food which I really liked.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“"Old school favorites without the hassle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Sometimes Portland restaurants suffer from over-complicating their menus. Roost just does the opposite. We recently visited on a weekend night and found ourselves seated right away. We were presented with their menu of the night and discovered that it contained about 12 items total. The waiter explained the restaurant's philosophy and recommended a few dishes. We went for the zucchini fries, the pork chop, and the roasted chicken. All dishes were outstanding. Will definitely return and try their brunch.

• Visited September 2012