“This is by far the hotel you want to book” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver
“This is by far the hotel you want to book”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

What makes this hotel so wonderful is it's cleanliness and location. We found that everything we wanted to see was accessed by walking in the same direction from the hotel. Powells books, Nordstrom rack and other stores, parks, waterfront, Voodoo donuts... all straight out from the hotel. The rooms were clean and updated and the beds were comfortable. We stayed on the 6th floor and did not have any issues with noise whatsoever.

Parking is expensive (all over Portland, really). Rather than pay the valet fees, right across the street from this hotel you'll find the most reasonably priced garage and it is well lit and easy to access.

We'll certainly be back to the Paramount!

Room Tip: Others have said to request a room higher up. We followed that advice and were placed on the 10th fl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thanks for your review Joanne R! Hope to have you back with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Lexington, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Paramount Hotel has a very good downtown location convenient to most of the areas in the city. The property itself is well maintained and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. When I asked for an early morning cab to the airport, they booked me one and dropped off a written confirmation in my room. The doorman and concierge were great with directions and suggestions for local sights and restaurants.

If you are a bit adventurous gastronomically, the food trucks on the square just North a few blocks of the hotel are fantastic. Portland good trucks are something special--sort of like a United Nations of food--Thai, Chinese, Korean, Middle Eastern, BBQ, Asian Fusion, Vegetarian--you name it, they have it. Try it for lunch or a snack, and I guarantee you will be back for dinner. Most trucks are open mainly for lunch and in the afternoon until about 4PM (about two dozen) and about 8-9 or so were open later for dinner. Prices were very cheap--about $8-9 for a full meal with drink.

The restaurant in the hotel, the TE Restaurant, has a good breakfast menu with some Asian options, a tofu omelet, and other breakfast fare served in a friendly environment.

My room on the second floor in the front suffered a bit from some random noise of garbage trucks in the early morning, but was otherwise well appointed, including a jet-style tub and a very comfortable bed. Temperature of the water in the shower was not very hot, but hot enough. Cooling and heating system in the room was a bit motel-like, blowing hotel air and a bit noisy, but this may have been an older unit.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on low floors at the front of the building on Taylor St.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

So I opted out of staying at the large hotel nearby where the meeting I attended was staged. Boy I am glad I did. The Paramount was less than 2 blocks away (easy walk), a much smaller hotel, and I had very nice room with a hot tub (used it twice --- most relaxing), comfy bed, clean, and the staff were great, very helpful with lots of good tips. I booked it at discount site on line and saved money over the hotel hosting the meeting. Everything was easy to get to by foot, and the food at the kiosks in the area was great and cheap. This was my first visit to Portland and I hope it won't be my last. The shuttle from the airport was a bummer. Forget that! The concierge said next time take the train; it is a lot cheaper and stops one block from the hotel. Very pretty city with parks everywhere and a nice river walk. Yummy chocolate shops, excellent coffee, fantastic fish restaurants, good local wine, and I really liked the people in the city, most hospitable. Big thumbs up for this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms toward back are quieter. Try to book in higher floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kirkland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here on an overnight weekend getaway, having taken the train to Portland from Seattle. We selected this hotel because it is NOT pet friendly, and I have allergies. I only found it after calling about ten other downtown hotels, which all allow pets. This one is about a mile from the train station, so we walked. The staff was very friendly, the lobby lovely, and our room comfortable and quiet. Both my husband and I slept like logs. We were delighted when we discovered how close this hotel is to theater, concert hall, art museum, etc., in downtown Portland and will definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Hello MeganKirkland – Thank you for your nice review and kind words about your visit. Along with our no-pet policy, our pillows, blankets & mattress toppers are also hypoallergenic.

Hope to see you again soon -
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Loved this hotel's location & staff. Gave us a free room upgrade. Bathroom & room overall were super clean. Top floor was quiet. I'd be concerned about street noise on lower floors. Only complaint was water was never hot enough, no matter what time of day I took a shower.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor for quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I agree with the other reviewers: clean, convenient/great location if you're sticking around downtown, friendly staff. I think it's a great value for the price.
Also, I want to point out that I ran into a celebrity staying on the same floor, so I figured this place must be nice if they've got celebrities staying there!

I came very close to giving it 5 stars, but didn't for only 2 reasons.
1) I unexpectedly had to do some work while I was there and ended up having to use their business center. It was a tiny room with 2 computers and a printer. That's fine, but the internet on the computer I was on was painfully slow.
2) We had a fun whirlpool tub in our bathroom, but the bath crystals/salts they give you just aren't enough for the size of those bad boys. I noticed they were conscious of their bathroom amenities/toiletries (there's a note about it), but their vendor really should step it up.

Maybe I'm just being picky... But other than that, the Paramount is a great choice and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I arrived at 11AM expecting just to drop off my luggage for a Sunday stay. They found me a pleasant room on the 15th floor looking east, which was nice as I felt comfortable dropping my laptop off in the room instead of lugging it around town. The bed was comfortable and the room clean, but no safe. The staff turned me on to the best breakfast place I have ever experienced in Portland. You will have to ask them about it as I'm not telling.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the 15th floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Paramount Hotel? Share your experiences!