“Comfortable Rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Bend
“Comfortable Rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the first time staying at the Paramount. It was a lovely stay. The staff were all courteous. The room was quite comfortable and clean. And the location of the property was very convenient. Though older, it has a feeling of history.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review Stephanie R!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Alpine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

During a recent stay (November 28th-29th, 2012) for business I was traveling alone and everyone I encountered at the Paramount was helpful and accomodating. The desk staff and concierge were both willing to give opinions and advice on where to eat, and I ended up choosing to dine in the lounge and not go out into the cold because of the late hour. There was a sushi roll with honey, shrimp and avocado that was to die for. The room was comfortable, clean and spacious with a great view of the park in front of the hotel. They have recently remodeled the rooms and the bathrooms are gorgeous. The pillows on the bed were great! The next day, after quickly checking out of the room and driving 10 miles towards my meeting, I realized I had left something in the room. (OK, it was the Voodoo Donuts I had heard so much about.) I called the front desk, and the attendant was so nice, she had the bellman go up and grab them and I picked them up later that afternoon, before my flight back to San Diego. Upon my return I spoke with the valet/doorman who was helpful with lots of advice and info about downtown, the area and walking, and just in general. I was able to park and walk for awhile downtown. Everyone there was easy to approach and seemed happy to work there. I felt right at home talking to any of them, and that meant a lot, especially being a woman on a trip alone. It was my second visit to the Paramount and if I'm back in Portland again, this won't be my last visit to this hotel; I will definitely come again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Ariana B, thank you for such the nice review! We look forward to having you stay with us again
Healdsburg, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

While the overall feel of the place is mid-range, three star, due to just average appointment of rooms and common areas, and perhaps aging just a bit, the large corner view room, and very comfortable bed and linens, are worth an extra star. I also very much appreciated the jacuzzi tub! The hotel is in a great location near pioneer square and train and trolly, lots of great food and drink options nearby, starting with right in the hotel lobby.

I heard just a bit of noise from room above, and just one garbage truck,, but it was not a major inconvenience. I had a great stay.

Room Tip: Corner rooms upper floors have great views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your review john_northbay!
Sunriver, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is the second time we stayed at the Paramount Hotel in downtown Portland over the Thanksgiving holiday. It is the perfect location for shopping, short outings with the little one, walking around, and taking part of the city holiday festivities like T-day Macy's parade, and tree lighting in Pioneer square. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful. Last year, I forgot some clothes in a drawer, I called to inquire and they still had them and were nice enought to ship them to me. The hotel offer valet parking but there is plenty of street parking around the hotel. One just has to keep in mind the new city rules for parking off the street.
All in all, it has consistenly a good experience staying at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thanks for the great review trouthousenogo, come back and see us again soon!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Very nice property that straddles the fine line between "big" and "boutique". Our preference is for big and brand new, and this place is not quite either. That said, the property is quite nice (clearly not brand new but in no way worn), the rooms are a nice size and nicely appointed, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and the location is...well...almost perfect.

Really, there is absolutely nothing that can be said negatively about this hotel - I just don't believe it is quite a 4.5 as rated here. It is very much a solid 4 however, and a great value as well. I highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, General Manager at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thanks for the review gogobeartravel – We appreciate your recommendation!
Port Townsend, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Paramount over the past Thanksgiving weekend (3 nights). This was our first stay in downtown Portland.

We chose the Paramount after reading other reviews and learning that they had a pretty good deal going on for the weekend. Through another booking service, we landed a king room on the 12th floor.

Our room was clean and removed from street noise. We had and excellent view to the north. The bed was soft and very comfortable. All the usual amenities were in the room: small fridge, coffee maker, etc., but no microwave.

The room was surprisingly large for an older building. It felt airy and open.

So, why the 4-star rating? For starters, the lobby was a let-down. It felt sterile and unwelcoming. We felt no inclination to lounge there. It was too bright and the seating wasn't comfortable. It was simply a large room to move through on the way to the elevators in back.

Second, while the room was large and clean, it wasn't what I would call luxurious. The bath was functional but I had recently stayed in another, sub-$100 hotel in Spokane which was much more luxurious. It probably spoiled me.

Third, the below-window HVAC unit was pretty noisy as it kicked on and off all evening.

Finally, the parking fee was a rip-off---the highest I've ever been quoted. Over our three-day stay, we saved about $70 by doing the following: After 7:00 p.m. street parking is free. Park your car on the street on the west side of the hotel (SW 9th AVE). Then, sometime before 8:00 a.m. the next morning, move your car to the parking garage on Taylor St., between Broadway and SW 6th. That costs about $9 for all day (less on weekends). Then, in the evening, move the car back to 9th AVE. Repeat as necessary.

This is a perfectly nice hotel and I would stay here again, assuming another deal on pricing. The excellent location alone makes it a winner.

Room Tip: Higher is better to avoid street noise. If I remember correctly, the hotel has about 14 floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland_Paramount, Director of Sales at Paramount Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your review Bill B!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We were initially steered to this hotel by a group discount. We were surprised to see that many of the extra charges that we have come to expect weren't there - free wifi and overnight parking available next door if we didn't want to pay the hotel's overnight rate. The room was roomy, comfortable and clean. On our 2nd stay, some street noise from garbage trucks invaded our room at 4 am - so I would recommend asking for a room on a high floor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ballgrl thank you for your review, it’s appreciated!

Been to Paramount Hotel? Share your experiences!