“Slow elevators and slow staff” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Coeur d'Alene, ID
“Slow elevators and slow staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

I think the only positive thing about this hotel was the great proximity to the Convention Center....hence the name. Other than that, we did not have a good experience at all. We were in town for a cheerleading competition being held at the convention center and the hotel that the rest of our team was staying at was sold out, so I chose this place because of location. We arrived pretty late, around 9:00 pm and there was a long line at check in and after a 7 hour drive, my girls were itching to get situated so we could get to the pool and burn some energy. Check in took around 45 minutes because it seems every flight attendant in town was checking in before me. There was NO parking in the lot, so I had to park in a dark back lot which was a little scary because I was traveling alone with 2 young girls. Our room was on the 6th floor and there were 3 elevators but it seems all weekend only 1 was working. The room was nice, you could tell there was a recent remodel. We had a double queen with a nice view of the convention center and arena. We got ready for the pool and went to go down and we had to wait for the elevator about 10 minutes. If we could have taken the stairs, we would have. Pool area and spa was nice, a little confusing to get to, you had to walk through some conference rooms to get there and that was a little embarrassing being in our pool attire while the parties in the boardrooms were dressed semi-formal (awkward). Beds were semi-comfy, not new mattresses for sure. The next morning we had to get up and go quite early for the competition and this was the real frustrating day of our trip. I sent the girls to push the "down" button for the elevators expecting a delay. From the time we pushed the button and until a elevator finally arrived was 18 minutes! This hotel has maybe 12 floors and we were right in the middle, I do not know why there was such a long wait. So by the time we finally got downstairs, we had to run to the convention center. We had a very long day, we were gone 8 hours and I just could not wait to get up to our room to relax a little but.... our key wouldn't work! Are you kidding me? We had bags and bags and very tired cheerleaders and seriously this was the last thing we needed! So I called downstairs and pushed the "down" for the elevators to see which would be faster and I told the front desk my situation and they said they would send someone right up.....ok 10 minutes later no key and no elevator, I called again and they said someone was on their way. He finally showed up and he took my keys and had a new one and opened the door for us and low and behold housekeeping had NOT been to our room yet!! Are you kidding me, what else could go wrong????? I was about to lose it!! I told him we have been gone ALL DAY, I want someone immediately to come and clean our room. So, we had to leave to go get some dinner anyways, and the hotel does offer a restaurant in the lobby but I was so disgusted with this place that I refused to give them anymore of my money so we went to Applebees which was just a few blocks away. I was crossing my fingers our room would be made up when we returned and by some miracle it was. Our cheer team was looking for a new place to stay because we are returning to Portland in a few weeks for another competition, which is a 3 day event! We are looking for a hotel within walking distance and after everything that went wrong this weekend, I would NEVER recommend this place...to anyone!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Booked this Crowne Plaza for our post Christmas stay in Portland via the Priority Club for $90 a night. Due to kitchen renovation, all guests were given FREE continental breakfast (otherwise $8.75 ppl) each morning. If I have to pay, I would say that is overpriced, due to limited choice of pastries.

Wendy's, Burger King, and McDonald are just 2 blocks away. The hotel is just a few blocks away (a nice walk) from the free light rail to go to downtown. If you don't want to walk then Red Lion may be a better choice (right next to the station). Transit service in downtown is free, a nice treat to visitors.

Staff are very nice. You get 2 bottles of water free on the first night. The hotel is 5 minutes away from the Amtrak station. Courtesy car came to the union station promptly.

We had a nice view of the downtown area and the Rose Arena but the room's noise insulation is a bit weak. The noise from highway could be a little troublesome and I guess that's why they gave you ear plugs in the hotel. One hotel rule to follow: no loud singing in the shower!

The hotel still has a strong sense of the Holiday Inn. The invoice shows Holiday Inn's name!

• Liked — reasonable price, close to TriAMX, courtesy shuttle
  • Disliked — noise level inside the room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Eugene, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

I booked this stay through Hotwire and ended up paying less than half of what the average price posted here is, so very happy on that front.

The hotel used to be a Holiday Inn, and that is why the outside is kind of crappy. I suspect that repainting is in the plans for this property, but probably hasn't happened yet. However, inside it is very well-appointed. I was impressed with the quality of the furnishings.

My view from room 607 was of downtown, the river, and the Rose Garden, and it was really lovely. I think rooms in the 5-10 number range on any floor would have just as good a view.

This room was a standard room with double queens, and didn't come with a toothbrush and toothpaste. It did include a gift baggie with sleep aids such as an eyemask, earplugs and lavender linen spray, which was appreciated. Room service is good and the food is tasty. Staff are courteous once they realize you are a guest, though there was a bit of upfront snobbishness to get past. I suspect that if I looked like someone with a 6-figure salary that wouldn't be an issue, but I don't so there it is.

This is a great location for Rose Garden or convention center events. The parking is indeed $10 a night but in retrospect I could've parked on the street at the meters with no problem. If you plan to stay out late and can get up at 8 to feed the meter in the morning, you might want to consider that course of action- the meters go until 10 pm.

• Liked — View was great, room was well designed and clean
  • Disliked — Expensive parking and snobby front desk staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

Booked this hotel over Thanksgiving on Hotwire. The hotel has a very good location, about a 2 minute drive into the Pearl District and not much longer to get downtown. On the outside, the hotel is rather crummy looking. It is adjacent to a few lower quality hotels and the building is rather old. That being said, inside, everything is newly renovated and very refreshing.

Our room was located on a high floor and had one king bed. The room had a desk and chair, a sofa, a small fridge and microwave. It also had a large closet and a flat screen tv. The bathroom was marble and well appointed. It was nice to see a toothbrush and paste were included in addition to the normal typical things like soaps and mouthwash. The room appeared to be new, was very clean and did not show any wear. The room included free high speed internet access which was a nice touch.

The staff was friendly and the lobby has a small business center, a coffee stand and a restaurant/bar.

Only complaint is $10 for parking per night, though during our stay there was ample street parking around.

Overall, great stay at a great price. We highly recommend this hotel if you get a good value.

• Liked — Brand new rooms and free internet
  • Disliked — Parking fee
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Stayed here for two nights, got a room on the top floor, facing downtown and the interstate 5. Our room as not very large but very nicely decorated, loved the beds. Very complete. Staff was very friendly and helpful. One issue was the noise of interstate 5, although the wind direction probably did not help (southerly from the highway to the hotel)). Nevertheless, keep that in mind when booking a room (although the noise was not an issue for us, but if you are looking for a quiet place ... ). The area around the hotel is a little bit run down, although we managed to find quite a nice quick Mexican bite nearby. Very close to the Rose Garden, so we picked a Portland Trailbazers basketball game.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

We booked through Hotwire for only $80 inc tax. The hotel also charges $10 for parking in their lot. The room was large with a king bed plus a microwave and mini fridge. Be sure to request a room on a higher level. We were on the second floor facing the entrance and it was quite loud. The hotel is non-smoking and we could hear drunken smokers outside our window talking at 3 am. Overall, the hotel was nice and is quite close to the MAX which will take you right downtown.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Medford, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

The Crowne Plaza was a great surprise...we have stayed in the Portland Convention Center area before and have found the hotels to be lacking in quality and service. The Crowne Plaza was a happy departure! The hotel has been remodeled and the rooms are very comfortable, with small but beautiful bathrooms, a refrigerator, coffee maker, and flat screen TV (the family favorite). The beds are roomy and comfortable. The workout room has equipment for all levels and the pool area is very nice. The hotel is very easy to reach from I-5 and I-84, and there is a Red Robin, a number of fast food restaurants, and a couple of Starbucks within walking distance. Another plus...a MAX light rail stop within 4 or 5 blocks. We will definitely return to the Crowne Plaza Portland Convention Center.

• Liked — Well-appointed rooms.
  • Disliked — No breakfast bar.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!