“Nice hotel great location” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #37 of 133 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Mountain View, California
“Nice hotel great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Close to downtown and short walk to tram that take you downtown or all around Portland. Room service was fast and staff was really nice. Concierge was nice and a big help finding things. Salt water pool was nice. My only suggestion is that they get new bike. The hotel rents free bike which is great, it's just that they are cruisers so the one I had had no gears. I would have like to see more mountain bike or 10 speeds.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. I appreciate you pointing out the many amenities we offer that makes our location unique.
Please let me know if I can be of service while you make your future plans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Overall the experience was good. Only reasons it's shy one star are: location (which isn't bad, just not great), and room got stuffy even with AC which we had to keep on all night even though the nights cooled down.

Very convenient in many ways:

-about 4 blocks from the metrolink,
-7 eleven and starbucks around the corner and walgreens a few blocks away
-Hertz rent-a-car onsite (make sure to make a reservation, onsite supply is limited),
-good room service (blueberry pancakes were great),
-in room coffee fridge and microwave were a plus,
-bikes available to borrow all day, and
- concierge was very helpful in finding a place to eat after 9pm on a weekday that was nearby.

The staff was very helpful - as mentioned above concierge was really helpful and front desk staff was friendly. The rooms was clean and cozy, no in room movies but there are DVD players and there's a redbox at the 7 - eleven. The hotel itself wasn't noisy but it is near the hwy which can be noisy at night - unless you have the AC on. The pool was great, we liked that it was not in the sun.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your insightful review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the hotel its great location, proximity to public transportation and friendly staff. I did want to mention that in addition to the in room DVD players we offer a lending library consisting of several hundred movies. My team I hope you tell many friends and return often.
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is an older property with the cottage cheese ceilings but the king bed was excellent and the room was very quiet resulting in a great night 's sleep. We stayed four nights and the only down side we noticed is the valet was always too busy to help and front desk staff also seemed short on staff to provide expedient service. However all of the employees were nice and professional but are too busy. We really liked the large dressers in the room. We also used the pool, restaurant, bar, and fitness room. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your review; we value all feedback received. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and that you found the bed comfortable. I am also glad that you recognized the luxury quality of the furnishings as they are Bassett furniture rather than the typical commercial grade furniture you often find.
Thanks for staying.
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here in July as part of a road trip holiday through California, Nevada and Oregon. We had driven quite a distance and planned to spend three days in Portland and so wanted a comfortable hotel when we got there - and we were not let down with this one.
It's a nice, big hotel just across the river - not central but close enough to the tram stop to not be an issue.

The room was quite large with good beds, a decent bathroom and large TV, although our TV voulme seemed to be set to a maximum of 50% which made watching HBO a real effort for some reason, as all the other channels were fine. Maybe something we were doing wrong though as we didn't spend much time with the tv on.

The only issue we had was that when we arrived, we were checked in and given our room keys. However, when we got to the room and successfully opened the room door, we found the room was already occupied! The current (quite angry) occupants were obviously not very pleased that we manged to walk straight into their closed room.
A quick rush down to reception saw the problem resolved by giving us another room but it was still quite worrying that a mistake like that had been made.

The only other issue I would say is the high charge of parking at the hotel which for paying guests I thought was a bit much, but I can hardly complain as I knew about it from Tripadvisor before we arrived.

There is a complimentary business center in the hotel which we used to go online and buy tickets etc for the next part of our trip when we needed to print things out.

The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful as was the concierge when we enquired about 4th of July celebrations nearby.

Oh and the swimming pool, decking, spa area was nice as well. Very pleasant swim in the pool before a day of sightseeing.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, despite the initial check in hiccup which I would imagine would be a one off error.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, however I would like to apologize for the mix up at check-in, occurrences such as this are extremely rare so I will be sure to review the incident with the front office team. Thanks for staying and taking the time to comment; please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any service in the future.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Clean, quiet room. Helpful service. Not downtown but 1 block from the trolley & some fun restaurants nearby ie. Cadillac Café (excellent breakfast), Toro Bravo (world class tapas) and Eat (oyster bar and Cajun)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, we like to think our location is ideal for anyone who wants to have easy access to anything Portland has to offer. I am so glad that you checked out the local restaurants they are quite spectacular and very well known to Portland insiders and urban hipsters.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Absolutely lovely rooms in this what seems like new Crowne Plaza near downtown Portland. Nothing really to walk to as far as shopping or restaurants - just close to Convention Center.

But the rooms are absolutely lovely, my bed was so comfortable and for the first time ever in a hotel, room service was delicious!

The pool and hot tub area is very nice, large, clean.

Loved my stay - would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review. We are very happy that you had a great stay overall and that you enjoyed the comfortable bed package and sleep amenities. Our front desk and concierge staff have lists of restaurants nearby besides fast food options and I would encourage our guests to ask for recommendations.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We arrived by train and the shuttle picked us up. The front desk had our reservation ready and they were very courteous. We had two beds in our room which were very comfortable. They are very high beds and my grandson loved them. The room was very clean, great coffee, and amenities. I was most impressed with the instant hot water when you turned on the faucet. It saves so much water. Hotel very quiet didn't hear the slamming of doors early in the morning like most hotels. Indoor swimming pool was great for my grandson, the sides opened so it wasn't too warm. Food in the restaurant was excellent and very reasonably priced. Streetcar directly across the street which you could ride for $1.00. When we left, this time via airplane, the shuttle took us to the airport.
As busy as the hotel was excellent service was provided and I would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. We think our location is ideal for anyone who wants to have easy access to anything Portland has to offer. We are happy you enjoyed the many amenities that are complimentary and set us apart.
Thanks for staying and please let me know if I can be of service in the future.

Been to Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!