“Royally Ripped Off” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
“Royally Ripped Off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Having booked my Flight from Brussels to Portland to go and see 'The Spruce Goose' Howard Hughes wonderful creation at McMinnville I so decided to look for a Hotel.
Finally after hunting the Net and not really having any idea about where I was going, as never having been to that part of the World before, I chose 'The Crowne Plaza Hotel Portland-Downtown Convention Center. All seemed very nice, Pressed the button and all was Booked.. 6 nights 5th - 11th March.. Job done

Things happen in Life sometimes that dont have any control over at all. Well it did... a minor Family crisis, and i decided as I was going on my own to see 'The Spruce Goose' another week or two would not matter.
I contacted United Airlines, who were fantastic about it, and cancelled my flight. next the Hotel.
I contacted Booking.Com and they said due to the time difference between Brussels and Portland, they would contact the Hotel and move my booking dates on two weeks..

So I waited...!!!!

Later that day they calle me back and said The Accounts Manager ( I think thats what they called him) had looked at my booking and said that no change or refund was available as this is always happening ..
I had to swallow that bitter pill as I realised I had booked a Non Refundable room.... HHmmm $985.80 down the drain... Im not a big Corparate Empire im just a Little Guy.
I left it a day or so and called the Hotel direct and asked if their was any way they could help me at all as nearly $1000 is alot of money.. They point blank refused as it was booked through a third party... End of subject !!!!!

Or so I thought.. To add insult to injury I checked my Bank Acc and they (Crowne Plaza) have taken another $114.27 from my Acc on 11th March 13............. Speechless

Everything I posted on here can be backed up with documentation and may this be a warning to everyone .. Beware.. Yours Sincerly, Noel Barnes Liege-Belgium

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Noel,
I fully understand the frustration of booking a non-cancelable non changeable reservation for the potential savings and then your plans change ending up costing you more in the long run. It is our practice to honor all terms and conditions of all reservations through whatever channel they were made through. In general we are very strict about adhering to the reservation terms in order to maintain the integrity of the rate. We offer several different rate structures (The lowest are always on our site and we offer a best rate guarantee) to accommodate all travel schedules, many significantly cheaper if paid in advance as in this case, sometimes up to a 30% discount but they are 100% non-refundable. In this case your reservation was booked through a third party who did explain the terms clearly. It is also my understanding they called us requesting us to cancel the reservation which was fully nonrefundable according the terms that you agreed to when making your reservation on Booking.com.
In reading the review it seems like you might still be intending to come at a different time which may be a different situation that I could accommodate. My team and I are committed to excellent service and are proud of our reputation and truly believe we are in the best situation to satisfy our guest. I hope that you respond to my personal message.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Port Angeles, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Staying at the Crowne Plaza is something I would do again. In Portland for a conference, I chose this hotel because of the poor stay I had at another hotel two years ago. Upon arrival, I was asked if I was a preferred member, and when I said I wasn't, I was added to the "family", and given an instant upgrade room-wise. My colleague and I were given a room on the 10th floor with a great view of the Rose Garden, but our view also included the freeway. In Portland, Oregon, the traffic never stops, and this noise was the only downside to this hotel. We ate at the onsite restaurant, and the food was good, much better, actually, than the other chain restaurants we ended up at for the next two days. The elevators required the use of the room key, which I like as a safety measure (although I am well aware that shady people also stay at hotels.) The property was a .5 walk away from the Convention Center, which gave us an opportunity to stretch our legs at least once a day. I did not use any of the facilities, such as the pool or exercise room, but I would in the future. There was a daily self-parking fee, but considering that we arrived on the night of a Trailblazers game, I was happy to have a parking spot on the property, and I was allowed to keep my car there until my conference was over, a good two hours past checkout. Yes, I would stay at the Crowne Plaza again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great review. We are very proud that we have earned your return business, we look forward to seeing you again.
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

WOW!! Really unexpected quality and attention. Amazing. There was a Blazers game and HUGE wedding the night we were there to fly out early the next morning. I expected these were going to be challenges for a quiet evening before a long and early flight. Obviously the staff finds themselves in this situation frequently, because the bar food and drinks were phenomenal and our room / floor sooo quiet. Our driver (Calin) was even astute enough to offer a ride to any restaurant/bar in town, but due to the early flight we declined and Boy am I glad!! CP never ceases to amaze me!!

Downtown Portland you're lucky!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Portland downtown and the restaurant and bar quality. My chef and the entire food team enjoy presenting high quality, often organic and always fresh offerings for our guests.
I look forward to sharing your review with the team and personally acknowledging Calin.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Nice clean rooms. Comfortable beds. Friendly staff. Good location. Close to the MAX and downtown. If you can get a good deal book it!! It's better than paying fifty dollars or more for the same quality across the river.........................

Thank you for staying with us and for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed the Crowne Plaza Portland downtown and we look forward to your next visit. Please let me know if I can be of service in the future.
Take care.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here for Trailblazer games in the past, and the location is fantastic for that. The gym is also very nice, and the rooms typically pretty clean. My trip here this month made me wonder if the hotel is staffed correctly. There was no valet so I just parked in their lot. They insisted I go out to my car and put a tag on the dash so their staff would know that I paid extra for the parking. When I checked in I went to my room and the key didn't work. The woman at the desk seemed put out that I kept coming back when it happened again. After the third trip she was going to send me again but I decided I wasn't going back unless someone verified I have the correct room number on my card envelope or checked it for me, and sure enough they not only had the wrong room but they didn't even have the right floor. These kinds of issues happen, but it is more aggravating when it's mixed with unfriendly service like I received from the woman at the desk. There was no concierges room, so don't expect any special treatment for being a platinum member.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay and my sincere apologies for the service received. I would like to assure you that your experience is far from our core values of superior service we strive to deliver consistently. I hope that you will respond to my personal message and consider giving us another chance when returning to Portland; I assure you we will do better. Thanks for staying.
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Really nice stay in this attractive hotel. King size bed was super comfortable; room was clean. The staff were exceptionally pleasant and accommodating. Perfect location (chose this hotel due to its proximity to the Oregon Convention Center, but other popular venues are nearby including the Lloyd Center mall...handy in case you forgot to pack something). The MAX light rail station is also close, making it easy to get around Portland sans a car. Just 2 small negatives: the handle rails for the indoor pool/spa were wobbly and needed a safety fix. Parking was mistakenly charged twice but was reversed without a problem. Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
zlopuszynski, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Portland-Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Take care.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

What a fantastic surprise!!! Didn't expect much driving up to the hotel. Met with absolutely outstanding service, bright, clean, expensive looking lobby area. Room was big, modern, comfortable and clean. Great tall shower, lots of hot water, and lots of water pressure! Big, flat screen TV with plenty of channels. Definitely will stay here again!

Room Tip: We were upgraded for being a Priority Club member. I'm sure all the other rooms are good too, b...