“Great meal and deal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grain & Gristle

Grain & Gristle
1473 NE Prescott St, Portland, OR 97211-5174 (Old Town - Chinatown)
503-688-5393
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Brandon, Fl
“Great meal and deal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

While visiting Portland, we ate there as it is one of our son's favorite places. Fun little place. Great deal on 2 for $20, 2 beers and meal to share. Plenty to eat, 3 of us shared with an appetizer - deviled eggs with spanish anchovies - yummy! Pork chops were juicy and the squash was really good. Great atmosphere, busy and fun. Good craft beer options as well.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
“Tasty and tight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Man that meal was good. That braised pork and those deviled eggs got all up in my taste buds and took advantage of my food mind like a Japanese fan dancer dancing in front of a motel air conditioner unit in Barcelona.

The wine was chizz too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City
“Great food and vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stopped by Grain and Gristle on a Saturday afternoon, after 1:00pm. It was an unassuming location given that most local Portland shops/restaurants are in a string of others, but this restaurant sat apart on a corner lot with a few music shops, small bar, and Asian diner. We were immediately met at the door by the hip bartender who offered us a seat (even though we could have sat ourselves in the small dinning room). It was NYC style in that the tables and chairs were close to other tables lining the outer walls of the restaurant. The weekends offer breakfast and lunch fare, which all appeared wonderful in their menu descriptions. I chose the breakfast sandwich and small salad and my husband chose the burger and fries. My sandwich was deliciouso! Just the right amount of everything, well maybe a little too much bacon for my taste, but I realize that is blasphemy to most so I try to say that with a big maybe. I shared a few bites of my husband's burger and it was juicy and thick, just like the ones we make at home. And that is a very good thing. Even my small green salad had a delicate and flavorful dressing that I craved even after we left.

My only thing is that it is not super kid friendly, but I don't think it has to be either. They had a highchair for our 10 month old which was unexpected. Again, the vibe and atmosphere was too cool for kids, and its not because they weren't welcome; I felt like we were ruining the coolness a little.

Eclectic background music that went from punk to 80's rock and back again. Loved it because it fit so well with the restaurant. I can't express enough the cool vibe of the place from the moment we stepped into the restaurant. The service was great too. Our server was kind and took care of our needs (which were few) promptly.

Check it out! You won't regret it.

• Visited October 2012
Indiana
“Glad we found this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Someone on the TA forum suggested this place and I'm glad they did. After marvelling at the massive wood bar, we took our seats and got prompt service. Loved the eclectic menu, both beers and food. Three of us tried three different beers and everyone was happy. I had a salad with greens, apple and goat cheese. We shared a cheese board and the others had a sausage of some sort and mussels. I tried it all and was happy with my choice, but all were tasty. Great neighborhood vibe and friendly staff. Wish it were in my neighborhood.

• Visited July 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Nice addition to the eclectic dining scene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

With all the different types of places to eat in Portland, you'd think they couldn't come up with another one but Grain and Gristle surprisingly found a way to offer yet another new type of menu, dividing it up into salt, vegetable, and protien. Many dishes include an interesting combination of ingredients, making it different from what you're probably used to but not so unusual that you'd be afraid to try it. I had the braised pork shoulder (I'm not too adventurous) and it was excellent. My friend had the raddichio/feta/hazelnut salad and said it was great as well. The restaurant had a fresh, open, and friendly feel; laid back and a little country. It was very clean and the staff was attentive. I was surprised at how reasonable the prices were. We aren't beer drinkers but there was an impressive list of brews on the board as well as some specials.

This is a place I'd bring out-of-town friends to show off Portlands excellent variety of eateries. It's like a sunny day in Portland!

• Visited June 2012