“Excellent food and great craft beers” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Eclectic
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
London, England
“Excellent food and great craft beers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We found this by mistake while looking for Podnah's pit BBQ (which I'm guessing this replaced). What a very happy accident, we walked in off the street and sat down to a fabulous meal, really excellent value too (appetisers, mains and 1 beer each for 3 people came to $65). We liked the atmosphere plus the staff are really friendly. Would heartily recommend.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Portland, OR
“There Are Better Places To Eat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

This is a place that was highly recommended by a couple of friends. The reviews were good, too, so my expectactions were high.

I like the casual atmosphere. We were seated at a corner window table. Damn, it was cold! It was about 35 outside and my boyfriend said he might need to go outside to warm up. My coat was buttoned up to my chin and my scarf was double wrapped around my neck as I asked the server to turn off the air. That did the trick and I was soon warm and cozy.

We each ordered a salad and they were both flavorful, fresh and I decided that I need to eat more arugula in 2012 and beyond. The arugula salad with apples and blue cheese was crunchy, creamy and delicious. My boyfriend was attacking my sald plate before he even gave his a glance. Had to bat his fork away!

I ordered the mussels and my boyfriend ordered the chorizo on creamy beans. From the time we finished our salads to the time our entrees came out, 20 minutes had passed (restaurant was two thirds full). Too long and no one bothered to explain why it took so long. Acknowledgement goes a long way.

Our food finally arrived and my mussels frites were served cold. I was famished so I let the server know that my dish was cold but that I was hungry so I wouldn't mind eating the cold mussels as long as I got a fresh order of hot fries. Well, before I could stop her that dish disappeared out from under me and was whisked back into the kitchen. As my boyfriend ate his meal, I waited and waited for my dish to come out. He was completely finished by the time my mussels came out.

Unfortunately, the mussels tripped and fell flat on their little mussel faces in flavor. Some garlic, herbs and wine would go a long way to impart some flavor into these, although they were cooked perfectly.

With so many great places to eat in Portland, I probably won't return unless I go for a beer.

They did comp the mussels, btw.
Edit Remove

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“A Neighborhood Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I first tried G&G in Dec 2011 when I was on a Portland neighborhood walk-about. I walked up to N. Alberta but didn't find a place to have an afternoon beer. I ventured down NE 15th and happened upon a simple looking building that appeared to be a pub. I cozied up to the most beautiful bar surface made out of rough edged Oregon coast maple. G&G has an ever changing list of fresh local brews on tap and I had a soup and salad that hit the spot. Liked the place so much I returned with a friend later in December on another visit to Portland and had some excellent appetizers. My recent visit on a Saturday afternoon had some wonderful late afternoon breakfast foods with some excellent local beer. I learned that they get a full pig once a week and dress it out to make all kinds of fantastic pork dishes. The ham slice with scrambles eggs was delicious. This is a place I will return to over and over again. Good service, great food, and good local Portland NE neighborhood vibe.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Neighborhood gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I found this place by accident; I was looking for the Thai restaurant next door that’s closed for renovations. As you walk in the first thing you see is the bar with the massive black board behind it, loaded with the daily specials. You seat yourself and a server comes over with a menu and water. As I looked over the menu my three favorite things all together between a bun had my name all over it. The hamburger with Bacon, cheese and fried egg…I’m in heaven! Added a side salad and a coke, just to balance it out. It was so good and only nine bucks!!!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Upper Left Coast
“Wonderful selection of bistro-style plates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Wow! This is a warm, friendly place featuring a limited number of imaginative and well-prepared small dishes. The braised pork shoulder is meltingly good and the moules frites are worthy of Paris. The portion sizes are smaller than most upscale restaurants but perfectly adequate for a meal. They price accordingly - generally between $8 and $14 for entrees and a pretty good "twofer" deal that changes frequently.

The space itself is softly lit with lots of wood. The tables can be combined or kept separate to accommodate parties of varying sizes. There's a comfortable bar in the middle of it all.

The waitstaff are very friendly and quick with suggestions and service. I plan to return often!

• Visited November 2011