“Weekday brunch” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Mississippi neighborhood. 503-621-1400
Goose Creek, SC
“Weekday brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Visiting from out of town, I knew Tasty N Sons had to be on my list come hell or high water. I'd been here for happy hour last year on a different visit. And as usual Tasty N Sons exceeded expectations. Luckily we didn't have to wait for a seat. Maybe because it was late morning on a weekday. The staff were pleasant, and economical in their service. The famous Burmese red pork stew was worth the calories - it had hard cooked egg bits and a fried egg on top over delicious short grain rice. However, we did think the pork was a bit on the dry side, though the pork belly made up for that dryness. The other item we ate was the potatoes bravas. My friend didn't care for the hot sauce, as he hates vinegary sauces in general. But I think it helped cut through the richness of the aioli and fried egg. This place is always worth a visit.

• Visited May 2013

87% Recommend
Veneta, Oregon, United States
“Tapas for breakfast? Yep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We visited from Eugene and if there is one thing my husband and I like to do in Portland it's brunch. This time I chose Tasty and Sons after a concert night based on the reviews. It was a Thursday, so no wait to get a seat and street parking was no problem on either. We walked in and it was a very hip atmosphere which we liked. As far as seating you are kind of on top of your neighbor , tables a bit close, but that is fine for us. We had read the review that Toro Bravo ( which we loved) owned it, but we didn't make the tapas connection. We are vegetarians and we were a little shaken by the lack of vegetarian selections for a Portland restaurant . The tapas concept along with the meat- centric menu threw us a little and we almost chose to bail , but we stayed. Glad we did. The coffee was good, service was good and fast , although they scared us by saying the food would come in waves like tapas.( we wanted a bunch of food on a plate and we were in a bit of a rush as I had to drive back to Eugene that day ) The food came fairly quickly and was good , servings were large enough for sharing for two . The food was very good at points and may have not been spectacular, but interesting ... We had a cheese biscuit, no bacon and potatas bravas ( no egg ) and a vegetarian frittata with asparagus and a potato chocolate doughnut that was great ! Not too sweet. They did not have any fake meat choices which was a bit dissapointing. We ended up liking it although we didn't think we would. I would try again now that I know the concept. Everyone around us had the spinach with fried egg on top and that looked good, but we didn't try that ... The house made kim chee looked good too. They had interesting boozy breakfast drinks that I would have liked to try, but since I was driving back that day I could not. Overall I thought t was interesting and tasty. My husband would have liked a smoothie , but alas there were none on the menu. Do not go in thinking you are going to get a big giant generic omelets and hash browns with toast. However , if you aren't trying to recover from a late night , it was quaint and had and interesting menu , and like I said the coffee was good! Unique for sure.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“1st time visit - Outstanding!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

After visiting Toro Bravo! previously we were excited to visit Tasty N Sons for the first time this week.....4 Diners, great experience!!!

Good wine, reasonably priced

We ordered a variety of dishes all were excellent. The house salad was a great start with an excellent meat/cheese board. We then ordered the Cincinnatti chili, grilled asparagus, the Meat/Bean bowl and Spaghetti Carbonara. All the food was well prepared and really enjoyable.

The service was excellent as well. We will definitely go back

“Understated and fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Everything I had here was fantastic- radicchio salad, morrocan chicken and asparagus topped with bacon and egg. So yummy!

Vancouver, BC
“Well Worth the Wait!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

While in Portland in February we were recommended by our hotel to go here for breakfast! Boy were we not disappointed.

It is a fun family style seating establishment, but the food is to die for! We enjoyed our breakfast so much that we came back on the Saturday. It seems the weekends are quite busy and we did have a 45 min way, but they took our number and called us when our table was ready. I was very impressed that they didn't just give it away.

My only complaint was that I wasn't able to try everything on the menu over those two days. My favorites are the Bacon Wrapped Dates with maple syrup and an almond inside; the Glazed Yams with cumin-maple (MY FAVORITE!!); the chocolate Potato Doughnut with crème anglaise along with everything else! The pricing is great, the food is great and the atmosphere is also great! I look forward to returning to sample the remainder of the menu!!!

• Visited February 2013