“Great dumplings and noodles” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Portland, Oregon
“Great dumplings and noodles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I had the pork dumplings, which are morsels of light delicious tasty clouds that come with a dipping sauce that make them disappear way too fast. They are that good. I also had the won ton soup, which was also very delicious. The broth alone was a delicious chicken broth that was tasty and had fresh vegetables and wontons (that like the dumplings) were very good. Now to the noodles. I had the stir-fried chicken noodles, and the noodles (OMG) were fresh and tasty and had a wonderful texture that only fresh noodles have. The chicken and vegetables and spices totally compliment the dish. Overall, I have to give this meal an excellent ratiing. eventhough this time I took the food to go, I have eaten here before, and did like the atmosphere of the restaurant and the service as well.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“They brought back the same cold soup again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is a review that reflects TWO visits within the space of a one-week visit to Portland. The first visit was fine, and on most accounts was a very satisfying visit: lunch with several colleagues, dropping in on a busy Wednesday around 12:45, where there was still a 20-min line outside. I get that this place is well known. I get that Guy Fieri came by and left his autograph. I get how a place can get full of itself.

That lunch consisted of a deep, rich hot and sour soup, with the excellent toothsome handmade noodles. Mine were with pork and at a '4' level of spiciness. I could still spoon some chili sauce and made it even more spicy. Great meal, efficient service, cheap.

Fast forward to another busy night, Saturday. I had told my friend of this place. The soup! Best ever! Awesome noodles. We ordered a small shareable pot of hot and sour, some dumplings, and some noodles with chicken --the handmade ones.

The service was piss poor and let me tell you why: first, it was nothing like the efficient server we had before. A female server with curly hair seated us, then took about 15 min to get back to us and take our order. Then the worst thing happened: she brought out the hot and sour soup and it was cold. Maybe left on the counter too long? Then it took us 5 min to get her attention and then explain to her that the soup was cold. Did she apologize? No.

She comes back another 15 min later (I am not lying) with the VERY SAME tureen of soup we gave her. We can tell that another soup was not served to us ---by the cruddy burned edges of the soup. She gave us the same amount we gave her back! She didnt give us a new soup, filled back up again!

Wait there's more! The soup still wasn't hot. She probably still let it sit out there before she brought it. Did she say 'sorry'? No.

And all this time the owner Frank in a sportcoat is just ignoring everyone because he is too busy seating people. How does he allow his food to be served this way and for his customers to get this kind of rudeness?

We got dropped by that server because she never came back. A new one brought us the noodles, which were good, great spice level (4), but by then we really had a sour mood about this place. So did others, apparently. A party across from us asked their server over because they didnt like the spice level ---they said it was inedible. Frank came a running and I don't think he placated them,

So two visits in one week: one great and another one pretty disappointing. Please, Frank, don't let all the Guy Fieri hype make your head so big that you lose sight of maintaining food quality and service overall.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Fantastic housemade noodles!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

These noodles are so, so good-- nice chew, texture and flavor. If you are a noodle lover you have to try this place. I would recommend not going above 2stars so you can enjoy their flavor, too much heat and you lose the noodle flavor. Cute place, fast service and low prices make this place a 5 star in my book.

Northbrook, Illinois
“Unique reasonably priced dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Lot's of traditional asian dishes on the menu, but the noodle dishes were the most unique in terms of flavor and homemade noodles. They could have put more meat/shrimp in the dishes though. Pot Stickers not particularly good. Nice touch that you can choose 1-4 on spiciness. I chose 4 and it wasn't too crazy hot.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
portland, or
“Fresh homemade noodles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Have been here twice. Both times got noodle dishes and love the thick, delicious noodles. Seafood one time, chicken the other. For the price - I thought was very good.

• Visited January 2014