“A Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clinton Street Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Clinton Street Guesthouse
You added Clinton Street Guesthouse to your Saves list
4220 SE Clinton Street, Portland, OR 97206   |
Ranked #3 of 39 Portland B&B and Inns
NYC
“A Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I were staying in Portland for two weeks for a family event. After reading other TripAdvisor reviews, we chose to stay at the Clinton Street Guesthouse. The other reviewers were right! The guesthouse owners, Ann and Jason, were wonderful, cooking fabulous breakfasts and joining the breakfast conversations. The house itself was spotless and Room 4, where we stayed, warm and cozy. For those staying for a week or more, this is a great accommodation consisting of a bedroom, private bath and sitting room (with refrigerator) -- more like a small apartment. The guesthouse is also convenient, just a short walk to the #4 bus stop; this bus runs frequently and will take you into the heart of downtown Portland in about 15 minutes. The guesthouse is also within half a mile of just about any type of restaurant you could think of, from high end Italian, to Thai (many Thai in many price ranges), to excellent French, to pizza joints.

If you are traveling to Portland and do not want to stay in the high rise and pricey downtown hotels, you could not do better than the Clinton Street Guesthouse.

Room Tip: Any room is excellent. Room 1, up the stairs, has a fabulous view of the garden. Room 3 overlooks th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

It’s in a 1910-1925 neighborhood of clapboard craftsman style bungalows and on very shaded streets.

The inn is not old fashioned, though the building is older. The room is spacious and has two bathrooms, just across the hall. It is air conditioned, and very, very quiet. We think it only has three or four guestrooms. Breakfast was excellent, though it was the only time we met the owner. It's convenient for the SE Division Street and Reed College crowd. Parking is easy on the street.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was on my way to a bicycle trip in Oregon and had a few days beforehand to spend in Portland by myself (female solo traveler) and wanted to stay some place safe where I could get a feel for the city. I read the reviews for the guesthouse on Trip Advisor and I'm so glad I picked the Clinton Street Guesthouse. It is very well maintained, immaculate and cute!

I stayed in room #1 with the balcony overlooking the back yard and gardens. I agree with the reviewer who also stayed in Room #1--everything was perfect. I truly felt at home. After sightseeing and walking around the city each day I looked forward to returning to my little oasis at the guesthouse. I'd get a cup of tea in the dining room, bring it upstairs , sit out on my little porch and relax with a book.

Ann is a charming hostess and a great cook! The breakfasts were gourmet meals --she used fresh ingredients and herbs--yum! And, her baked items were THE best.

Since I did not have a car, Ann gave me directions to use public transportation to get from the airport to the guesthouse and it was a breeze--everything worked like clockwork. If you're a walker you can walk down Clinton Street into downtown Portland (3.5+ miles) through some very charming neighborhoods. Ann & Jason gave me directions and suggested a few areas of note. It was also very easy to use the local buses to get downtown.

The house is near Divison Street and several local eateries you'll want to check out. Lots of good food with reasonable prices.

If I go back to Portland--this is where I'll stay!

Room Tip: Room # 1 is very private & quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The Clinton Street Guesthouse exceeded my expectations. I booked it based on the reviews I found on TripAdvisor, and I'm so pleased with my experience that I have to chime in to encourage others to stay here as well. The owners paid attention to every little detail in the room and the common area, and it just made for such a fantastic overall experience. The breakfasts were amazing; there was so much food, and all of it was exceptionally well-prepared by Ann. I've stayed at many B&Bs in several countries, and this one was one of the best. Stay here and you won't regret it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the one room downstairs - room 4. The bed is amazingly soft and comfortable, and we lov...
Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston & New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I spent two nights at the Guesthouse with Ann and Jason during March 2014. I was in Portland attending a surprise party for a friend.

As many other Tripadvisor members have already stated, everything within the house and on its grounds was clean and comfortable.

I stayed in Room #1, upstairs overlooking the back garden. The room was spacious — almost like a mini-suite — with a large desk, extra seating, ample closet space, a well-appointed bathroom, and a private outdoor balcony. At one time, this was Ann and Jason's own bedroom, and before they hand-built it, it was the attic. The care they took in designing and building it was evident everywhere: strategic placement of light switches; careful alignment of stonework; perfectly finished woodwork; etc.

And actually, that same care was evident in everything associated with my stay!

Breakfast was superb, and importantly, Ann made sure to cook and prepare foods that would please everyone, but also allow me to eat, despite my lactose-intolerance.

In the breakfast room was a self-serve station with coffee and tea, well-stocked with many varieties.

And each of the two mornings, not only did I have wonderful conversations with my two hosts, but they also gave me great advice on what to do and where to eat.

The location couldn't have been more perfect for me. Although i had a rental car (to run some errands before the aforementioned surprise party), there were many fantastic bars and restaurants within a short walk (including the venue for the party), while the quiet residential location afforded an escape from the ever-present hipster crowds just a few blocks away.

The next time I am in Portland, I will stay with Ann and Jason again!

Room Tip: Room #1 is upstairs overlooking the back garden. The room is spacious — almost like a mini-suite — w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

When we were vising Portland and the Columbia River Gorge the Clinton Street Guesthouse was full, so my husband and I booked the Windsor Court Cottage, which is owned and operated by the hosts of the Guesthouse, for five nights last June. If you have a car and don't mind driving into the city (where parking was never a problem for us) and/or if you plan to explore areas around Portland, I highly recommend staying at the Cottage. It is located about fifteen minutes from downtown in a neighborhood that apparently used to be a bit sketchy but is now home to several good restaurants, shops and galleries, and a very good grocery store. It's also within walking distance of a large and very nice city park. The cottage itself is roomy -- good-sized kitchen and dining area, and the whole place is spotlessly clean. The bed linens and towels are good quality and the bed was very comfortable. There are a washer and dryer in the basement, which was helpful to us since our stay in Portland was part of a two-week trip. The cottage also has a small back patio with a dining table. The neighborhood is quiet.

If you stay here don't expect any contact with the hosts unless you initiate it, in which case they will be helpful. At the same time, the cottage provides a binder with lots of practical information, as well as numerous guidebooks about the area.

As it turned out, we preferred staying at the Cottage as opposed to a B&B. It was nice having the privacy and our own space. The next time we visit Portland we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gresham, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

It was clean. It was quiet. The sheets were lovely. The breakfast was superb. I love that they use local produce for the meal. The conversation at the table was fascinating.

We enjoyed a tremendous car-free weekend roaming the leafy Southeast Portland neighborhood packed with greenspaces, cutting-edge and affordable restaurants, beautifully restored houses, an inspiring grocery store, an iconic food co-op, and lots of friendly people.

Thanks again for helping us create a happy memory.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Clinton Street Guesthouse? Share your experiences!