“Perfectly Delightful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clinton Street Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #3 of 39 Portland B&B and Inns
Palm Coast, Florida
“Perfectly Delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was on my way to a bicycle trip in Oregon and had a few days beforehand to spend in Portland by myself (female solo traveler) and wanted to stay some place safe where I could get a feel for the city. I read the reviews for the guesthouse on Trip Advisor and I'm so glad I picked the Clinton Street Guesthouse. It is very well maintained, immaculate and cute!

I stayed in room #1 with the balcony overlooking the back yard and gardens. I agree with the reviewer who also stayed in Room #1--everything was perfect. I truly felt at home. After sightseeing and walking around the city each day I looked forward to returning to my little oasis at the guesthouse. I'd get a cup of tea in the dining room, bring it upstairs , sit out on my little porch and relax with a book.

Ann is a charming hostess and a great cook! The breakfasts were gourmet meals --she used fresh ingredients and herbs--yum! And, her baked items were THE best.

Since I did not have a car, Ann gave me directions to use public transportation to get from the airport to the guesthouse and it was a breeze--everything worked like clockwork. If you're a walker you can walk down Clinton Street into downtown Portland (3.5+ miles) through some very charming neighborhoods. Ann & Jason gave me directions and suggested a few areas of note. It was also very easy to use the local buses to get downtown.

The house is near Divison Street and several local eateries you'll want to check out. Lots of good food with reasonable prices.

If I go back to Portland--this is where I'll stay!

Room Tip: Room # 1 is very private & quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The Clinton Street Guesthouse exceeded my expectations. I booked it based on the reviews I found on TripAdvisor, and I'm so pleased with my experience that I have to chime in to encourage others to stay here as well. The owners paid attention to every little detail in the room and the common area, and it just made for such a fantastic overall experience. The breakfasts were amazing; there was so much food, and all of it was exceptionally well-prepared by Ann. I've stayed at many B&Bs in several countries, and this one was one of the best. Stay here and you won't regret it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the one room downstairs - room 4. The bed is amazingly soft and comfortable, and we lov...
Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston & New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I spent two nights at the Guesthouse with Ann and Jason during March 2014. I was in Portland attending a surprise party for a friend.

As many other Tripadvisor members have already stated, everything within the house and on its grounds was clean and comfortable.

I stayed in Room #1, upstairs overlooking the back garden. The room was spacious — almost like a mini-suite — with a large desk, extra seating, ample closet space, a well-appointed bathroom, and a private outdoor balcony. At one time, this was Ann and Jason's own bedroom, and before they hand-built it, it was the attic. The care they took in designing and building it was evident everywhere: strategic placement of light switches; careful alignment of stonework; perfectly finished woodwork; etc.

And actually, that same care was evident in everything associated with my stay!

Breakfast was superb, and importantly, Ann made sure to cook and prepare foods that would please everyone, but also allow me to eat, despite my lactose-intolerance.

In the breakfast room was a self-serve station with coffee and tea, well-stocked with many varieties.

And each of the two mornings, not only did I have wonderful conversations with my two hosts, but they also gave me great advice on what to do and where to eat.

The location couldn't have been more perfect for me. Although i had a rental car (to run some errands before the aforementioned surprise party), there were many fantastic bars and restaurants within a short walk (including the venue for the party), while the quiet residential location afforded an escape from the ever-present hipster crowds just a few blocks away.

The next time I am in Portland, I will stay with Ann and Jason again!

Room Tip: Room #1 is upstairs overlooking the back garden. The room is spacious — almost like a mini-suite — w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

When we were vising Portland and the Columbia River Gorge the Clinton Street Guesthouse was full, so my husband and I booked the Windsor Court Cottage, which is owned and operated by the hosts of the Guesthouse, for five nights last June. If you have a car and don't mind driving into the city (where parking was never a problem for us) and/or if you plan to explore areas around Portland, I highly recommend staying at the Cottage. It is located about fifteen minutes from downtown in a neighborhood that apparently used to be a bit sketchy but is now home to several good restaurants, shops and galleries, and a very good grocery store. It's also within walking distance of a large and very nice city park. The cottage itself is roomy -- good-sized kitchen and dining area, and the whole place is spotlessly clean. The bed linens and towels are good quality and the bed was very comfortable. There are a washer and dryer in the basement, which was helpful to us since our stay in Portland was part of a two-week trip. The cottage also has a small back patio with a dining table. The neighborhood is quiet.

If you stay here don't expect any contact with the hosts unless you initiate it, in which case they will be helpful. At the same time, the cottage provides a binder with lots of practical information, as well as numerous guidebooks about the area.

As it turned out, we preferred staying at the Cottage as opposed to a B&B. It was nice having the privacy and our own space. The next time we visit Portland we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gresham, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

It was clean. It was quiet. The sheets were lovely. The breakfast was superb. I love that they use local produce for the meal. The conversation at the table was fascinating.

We enjoyed a tremendous car-free weekend roaming the leafy Southeast Portland neighborhood packed with greenspaces, cutting-edge and affordable restaurants, beautifully restored houses, an inspiring grocery store, an iconic food co-op, and lots of friendly people.

Thanks again for helping us create a happy memory.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We agree with the other reviewers -- it is a wonderful B&B. We especially liked how private we could be -- the innkeepers were welcoming and available but otherwise left us to ourselves, which is something we appreciate.

We were in room #1, which looks out over the backyard. It was VERY quiet at night (once we turned off the heater, which is a bit loud). We peeked at another room -- I think it was #3 -- that faces the street . . . it was lighter and sunnier than our room, but it might get a little more street noise. On the other hand, Clinton Street is a main bike route, and it seemed like we saw more bikes than cars on it while we were there.

Let me stress, though, that all the rooms are beautiful. Our room over the backyard was plenty bright enough, cozy and lovely. The house is impeccably restored.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

What more can you ask for in a B & B? The owners e-mailed specific notes for arrival and parking. The bungalow is a beautiful remodel in a quiet section of Portland accessible to the Hawthorne district east of the river that divides the city. We had two lovely breakfasts with plenty of fresh fruit, good coffee etc., depending on the main course (pecan pancakes, homemade biscuits, ham, smoked salmon!). Ann and Jason are friendly and happy to recommend restaurants and connect guests with buses which are a great, affordable way to get around the city. I highly recommend this guest house!

Room Tip: The front second story room is spacious and has a nice street view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Clinton Street Guesthouse? Share your experiences!