“Delighted.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Viking Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portland
Viking Motel
You added Viking Motel to your Saves list
6701 N Interstate Ave, Portland, OR 97217   |
Ranked #28 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“Delighted.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

On a tip from a friend, we read reviews, and decided to book a room for two nights. Had we not received the tip, we likely would not have discovered this gem. Ordinarily we would have defaulted to known 'budget' brands, that are still higher in price than The Viking Motel. The bottom line for us is that it met our priority criteria: secure, and very clean. The fridge and microwave were handy as well.

Yes, it's dated, and we're fine with that. We value relationships and small family businesses over sterile, corporate settings.

Other bonuses include the MAX light rail that is right in front of the motel (going north), or just past the light (going south), that took us into the Pearl District for $2.50 each person/each way, the Arbor Lodge Coffee & Community Space just around the corner, and New Seasons grocery (similar to Whole Foods), which rocked our culinary taste buds. Also, it is incredibly close to Interstate 5 - so convenient!

Room Tip: Some have noted the street-side rooms are noisy - I would tend to agree. We stayed in room 211, whic...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

People looking into this property need to see some reviews with more balance; yes this place has its pluses, but also very strong minuses - too many for me personally.

I was looking for a one-night thrifty bargain in Portland near I-5, and decided to risk this place based on the surprisingly low price and suspiciously glowing reviews. I didn't like it and I won't be back; nothing dire happened, its just very bare-bones and too worn-out and shabby.

Like most large cities these days, its flatly impossible to find a decent hotel room in Portland near I-5 with a rack-rate under $100.  Nice mid-range places that I used to stay in a few years back on business for maybe $65 are now $110.  And why not, since all the hotels in entire greater Portland metro area often book completely solid on summer weekends; I've seen this happen frequently over the years.

So consider that instead of something like $110 you are paying perhaps $54 here, and you are definitely getting half the room-quality for half the price.  My experience was somewhere between checking into the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel but without any charm, or perhaps, say, staying in a friend's grandmother's old home, where 40+ years ago they added a spartan bedroom and bath to the basement, furnished it from Goodwill, and haven't changed it since. Its extremely dated and in dire need of major renovation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Our visit with our son's family in North Portland was indeed an easy and pleasant one thanks to the folks at the Viking Motel. We arrived very late and by email arrangement found our key under the doormat of our room. The room with bath was spartan (AC, WiFi, TV with On Demand, fridge and coffee maker included) but expertly made up each day with freshly ground coffee for our pot. Located next to both the 405 and the MAX station, the motel provides easy access to downtown area by car and public transport and appeared to be popular with bikers and campers touring Oregon. An excellent diner, organic supermarket and large Fred Meyer are within easy walking distance. For the budget conscious looking for a convenient stopover, the Viking and its helpful owner can't be beat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The Viking is a good bargain if you're not looking for style or to be near downtown/Pearl District (although you can access both easily on the Max outside the door or by car on the 405). Our room was basic but clean, the beds were reasonably comfortable. The water never seemed to get really hot in the bathroom, however. We appreciated the large organic market and the Lodge coffee shop near by--the Viking is also a block from diner, although we didn't try it. The owners are kindly and accommodating. We would stay again.

Room Tip: We had a room along the front on Interstate Ave, but cranking up the AC kept the noise down.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

Killer deal. Stopped in on a bike tour down Washington and Oregon. Nearly 100 degrees in Portland the day I checked in, they had the AC already on for me. Couldn't be nicer people. The motel is a great deal for the price, neighborhood isn't bad, and close to downtown on the train. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012
Seatttle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The owner is wonderful, the rates are extremely reasonable. It's clean, and close to the MAX station and grocery. But if you get a room in the front, along the main street, be prepared for loud traffic noise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Like the other reviews I have read here, this little motel is a treasure found! I agree that the owners are extremely friendly and very helpful, I was truly impressed with them. I found this place by reading reviews for Portland hotels and after checking their website directly, knew I had to give them a try. I am so glad I did. It is an older property, but very clean and comfortable. Also, I really appreciated having the mini fridge and microwave. There wasn't a coffe pot or coffee available, but just a block away is an excellent little coffee shop, with the best drip coffee I've had in a long time. I'm sure their other coffee's are just as good. I also have to agree that the New Seasons market is fantastic, similar to a Trader Joe's or Marlene's. What was even better though is their excellent deli, which had hot and cold dishes available. They had seating available if you want to eat there, or they can package it to go. The location of the motel was a big plus too. Just a couple minutes off the freeway and the MAX train runs right in front of the motel. The stop is just a block away, in front of the New Seasons market. It was about a fifteen minute ride into downtown Portland, very convenient, I didn't miss staying downtown at all. I certainly didn't miss paying the rates you pay downtown either. We usually stay at a motel 6 or a super 8 when we are going "budget", but I'll never stay anywhere else in Portland now, it really was that good. We went to Portland for the Waterfront Blues Fest, and we enjoyed the trip so much I can't wait to go again next year.

Room Tip: Just let them know what you want/need, ie; a ground floor, non-smoking etc;. They were very accomoda...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Viking Motel? Share your experiences!