“Outstanding whiskey selection” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Branch Whiskey Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #423 of 3,621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Barbecue, Contemporary, Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Portland, OR
“Outstanding whiskey selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The whiskey selection and the cocktails are top notch. Happy hour has a great burger and fries. Go for the great food or for a night cap.

Visited December 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Small Menu, Big Taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

A cold winter night, we walked into what looked like a saloon with a charm of it's own. The waiter was quit nice and very informative for bartending and waiting tables both. We asked for suggestions and he told us a little about each item on the menu and the menu changes each month. Tia and I had the braised Wild Boar, cooked with spicy peppers and a cream sauce with Polenta, it tasted fabulous, very rich. When it first arrived I thought what is this, there were no hunks of pork, it was shredded in the cream sauce, but after one bite I was hooked. Paul had the braised Veal Cheeks and the sauce was delicious, meat very tender and the cauliflower au graten was great. Steve had the burger, which was good but the bacon was too smoked (over powered the burger) and the duck fat fries were over cooked. We've had duck fat fries before at a french restaurant and they were the best fries we'd ever had but these were off the mark.
Give them a try and ask the server what they like, a good restaurant will let the employees try their food. I think they have an excellent chef with great ideas. Keep the menu small and make it the Best. Another great place on Alberta Street.

• Visited November 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Great place dedicated to my favorite drink!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Cozy little spot on Alberta, definitely worth a trip if you enjoy a bar to enjoy conversation and relaxation with friends. The food is thoughtful and delicious, and the heaviness of some dishes pairs excellently with whiskey. This bar feels more grown up than others in the hood, while still being a fun place to be. Not stuffy or "old," just more about thinking and conversation than video entertainment or loudness. I like it!

Portland, OR
“s-l-o-w service on busy friday night, but good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Crowded and noisy. We had plenty of time for conversation, because it was a LONG wait for food to be served. Fortunately, everyone was pleased with their dinners. Two had the 'steak frites' and, although I balk at beef (especially quite rare, as this was), I liked my sample. I had the braised boar over polenta, which was pretty darn satisfying - creamy with a hint of a kick. The happy hour drinks menu is attractive, but, for a place whose name is 'whiskey bar', my only disappointment was my whiskey sour, which seemed to be a glass of ice-cubes, with some slightly-flavored ice water added. Great place for a pre-Alberta Rose show, if you're not in a hurry to get to the concert.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Fantastic place, wish it was in my neighborhood.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Went to Branch last night with my wife. What a great place! Great atmosphere, very warm and cozy. Could be romantic too, if that's what you were looking for. Went during happy hour and drinks were reasonably priced. Service was really good and the server was quite nice. Not too loud but the place was nearly full. Food was amazing. I had the Alberta burger which was really, really good. My wife had the Mac and Cheese with Ham which was easily the top one or two Mac and cheeses my wife or I had ever tried. Absolutely outstanding. We had the Whiskey chocolate mousse for dessert which was very rich but worth trying. Plus, we went on a Groupon and so got a nice savings. Highly recommend these guys. I sincerely wish they were in my neighborhood so that we could be regulars.

• Visited October 2012