“Be Still My Heart” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd
3925 NE MLK Jr. Blvd, Portland, OR 97212 (Old Town - Chinatown)
503 288 6900
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town - Chinatown
Cross street: Failing
Transit: Trimet stops #5907 & #5906
Description: Ned Ludd is an American Craft Kitchen located in the Historic NE King Neighborhood. Chef/Owner Jason French offers foods cooked exclusively in a wood fired oven. We are committed to products sourced from local and regional purveyors. Our food is simple, rustic and meant to satisfy those who seek an authentic Northwest meal. The food, service and ambiance work together in an effort to offer a unique and casual Portland culinary experience. We are fortunate to live within an amazing network of passionate and committed farmers, foragers and craft producers. We hope you will join us to celebrate the bounty of the Greater Portland food community!
OREGON
“Be Still My Heart”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Ned Ludd is fantastic. I can't believe I ate the skin from the trout. The skin. I ate fish skin. Shocking, I know, but it was so tasty I couldn't stop. Wow. Everything is handmade to order, so it takes a little time to get to your table, but it's all perfectly seasoned, prepared, and plated, and the ingredients and flavors--though sometimes unexpected--complement each other. They don't try too hard by making it seem fancier than it is.

Drinks and coffee are excellent. Desserts not quite to my taste but I was so full by that time it would have taken quite a bit to get me excited.

They also have the best Sunday brunch I've eaten in Portland, with a nice selection of non-egg things for people who are sick of eggs. (There's some great egg stuff, too, for them what's not sick of eggs, and they have non-chicken egg things, too).

It's a small place and noise carries, and while I'm a grandma and love kids, I think this isn't the best place to bring them if they are kinetic types who can't sit still in one place for more than 20 minutes (my kids were like this, so I respect, I really do).

• Visited December 2012

88% Recommend
Portland, OR
“After 4 years, Jason French is at the top of his game!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've eaten at Ned Ludd since shortly after it opened four years ago. My recent dinner was fresh, extremely well-prepared, very tasty and original. The trout was fabulous; the salads bright and full of flavors that matched well, and the dessert was a perfect end to a great meal. One of the best restaurants in Portland, this small, almost out-of-the way place continues to be one of my favorites.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Laid back style belies thought through menu.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

The enchanting Portland folk with their laid back manner seem to still know how to deliver top notch experiences.
I loved the warmth and easygoing nature of this restaurant's service and decor. When the food was presented I was a little taken back by the quality of the good and the thought that had gone into it.
This is a place where the owners and staff know what they are doing is good and so don't have to back it up with some 'aren't I wonderful - the customer is so lucky to be here'' attitude.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool
“An exquisite experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This was quite simply some of the best food I've ever tasted. So fresh it was still quivering, the vegetables were in season, local and tasted like no vegetables I've ever tasted before. The flavour combinations were genius, everything complimented each other and were beautifully presented. The cocktail I had was totally unique and scrumptious. Really reasonable prices make up for the slightly odd location. Pretty amazing interiors and super friendly staff.

Seattle, Washington
“One of the best eats in the Pacific Northwest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The meal was spectacular. As a defined meat eater I could not get enough of how well seasoned and prepared all their vegetables were. The food looked simple but the tastes where absoluteness fantastic. I consider myself a foodie and this restaurant gave me the same pleasure as some michelin star eateries. If you are in PDX do not miss a meal here, you will not regret it. Simply fantastic!