“Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of East India Co.

East India Co.
821 SW 11th Avenue, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)
503-227-8815
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
East India Co. is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #430 of 3,282 Restaurants in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: On 11th between Yamhill & Taylor
Transit: The Portland street car stops right outside our restaurant at 11th & Taylor.
Description: East India Co Grill & Bar offers a delectable journey and redefines the perception of Indian food. The romantic interior combines seductive Indian richness and sparkle, with dramatic lighting, and 1800's sepia photographs. Subtle complex marinades using time honored Indian grilling methods created by seasoned master chefs reflect the food trends in today's India. The menu remains true to classic Indian recipes but is served with verve and style. All of this along with our hospitality and innovative signature cocktails makes for a unique dining experience. The restaurant is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Portland on 11th avenue between Yamhill and Taylor. We are open for lunch, happy hour, and dinner Monday through Saturday. We invite you to join us for the East India experience.
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Everything was superb here, from the service to the atmosphere to the food itself. I was tempted to go back the next day. One of the friends who was with us that night went back for lunch two days later and loved it. Although I am not gluten or dairy intolerant, this is a place where you can find lots to order if you are. They also have vegan dishes.

I ordered the Saag with Lamb and my spouse ordered the Kerala Masala with chicken. We also ordered the Naan. I think it contained rosemary. in any case, it was delicious. The next time I go I would like to order extra dishes so we have lots of leftovers the next day.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Portland, OR
“Best Indian Food in Portland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Great food and service with a good variety of Indian cusine.

Visited December 2011
Portland, Oregon
“If looking for authentic Indian food---avoid this place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

We've been to East India couple of times since it was recommended by some of my friends. My husband and I are foodies and love authentic Indian curries. This place offers nothing that comes even close to authentic Indian dish. On top of that, they charge an exorbitant price for a simple dish. So, if you are also looking for that Indian flavor you could possibly avoid this place. Try going there once to enjoy the atmosphere and for the appetizers.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Love Indian food but......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Maybe having lived most of my life in England, where Indian food is the number one choice for many people, I am spoiled, but this was not a great experience. The main elements of the food were OK, possibly even good, but there was an element of disarray about the service that suggested this was opening night, which I am sure it was not, and the accompanying items, the rice and bombay potatoes were lukewarm at best.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Elegance combined with Heavenly flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Being new in town, my wife and I decided to try out an Indian Restaurant and chose the East India Co. The street presence is minimal but once you step in and go past the bar, you enter an elegant dining area. The center area of the dining area is raised a bit and we would suggest you ask to be seated in that area. Great lighting and atmosphere.

Apart from a full wine and liquor menu, they have some very interesting cocktails that I would strongly suggest you try. The food we ordered was presented very nicely abd was the most authentic tasting food we have had outside India. The bread was especially good. The Manager was walking the restaurant and talking to the customers which is always a sign of a well run restaurant. Being vegetarian we appreciated the variety of vegetarian choices and the restaurant did not smell of meat cooking.

The service was attentive and the wait quickly took care of replacing a dish that we had mistakenly ordered. The menu has some of the traditional basics but it also has some items from the western part of india that you do not find in the typical indian restaurant.

All in all, this will be our restaurant to go to when we want a indian food fix and to take out of town visitors. This was not the cheapest indian restaurant but the best.

• Visited September 2011