“An airport hotel worthy of the name” 5 of 5 stars

Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #13 of 133 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newton, Mass
“An airport hotel worthy of the name”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Oftentimes an airport hotel is simply a hotel convenient to the airport that also has a shuttle bus. The Hyatt Place is more like a hotel designed for air travelers. They have all the electronics you need to check your flight, check in, etc., 24 hour schedulable shuttle (Portland's early flights can be VERY early) and they pack a box breakfast if you need to leave before their (free) breakfast opens. The box breakfast does not contain a beverage. I thought this was an oversight until I realized you can't take it through security anyway, duh.

If I were to voice one complaint, it's that while the rooms are quiet and comfortable with excellent AC, the windows don't block out the airplane noise very well. Make sure to ask for a room facing away from the runways

Room Tip: ask to face away from the air traffic pattern
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer K, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
We appreciate your thoughtful feedback!
I noted your comment concerning the drink in the breakfast on the go bag, it's funny you mention it, as we went back and forth on this issue. I agreed with your initial thought process, we need to include a drink, and at first we indeed decided to include it. The feedback quickly reached us we were not being helpful as we intended, given many guests taking extremely early flights would not open those bags prior to being seated on the plane thus being held up in security. I didn't consider that at first, and being an airport hotel manager, that was a little counter intuitive of me. So glad you understood right away! :)
Again, thank you so much for your time and feedback, we hope to see you again very soon!

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I had one evening in Portland during a west coast family vacation from SF to Seattle. If we had more time in Portland, without hesitation we would have stayed longer at the Hyatt Place Portland AP / Cascade Station. Room 407 faced a nearby office building and rail line that never detracted from the hotel. The rooms are spacious, well appointed with mini fridge, desk and free Wi-Fi. My wife loved the seating area, a large two piece sofa and small wall divider that separated the bedroom and living room area. The bathroom is fitted with a soothing rain tree shower head, and spacious counter space. Flat screen TV was brand new and appreciated for Sportscenter highlights of that day's NFL action. I originally did not see the front desk; we parked our rental car in the back lot and walked in seeing a self service kiosk. Check in with the kiosk was under three minutes and we were headed to our room. I originally chose this hotel because of its proximity to PDX, and we never felt like the hotel was on the glide slope. Everything felt new, and having a hot tub / pool open 24 hours was much appreciated. If (when) we come back to PDX, we will stay at the Hyatt Place again. As a bonus, Target is 2 blocks away and dining options within five minute walk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback! I am a manager with experience in several hotel chains and I agree the layout of this hotel is wonderful for the traveler, I am so happy to learn you also enjoyed the experience!
We look forward to having the opportunity to serve your needs again in the future!
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The room was spacious, the outlets plentiful, nice flat screen TV, refrigerator & microwave. Beds are comfortable and the staff were great. The offer 24 hour shuttle to the airport This is close to the airport to expect some noise. Breakfast fare was included and basically the usual.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your kind words about our hotel! We strive to proved consistent and purposeful service to each and every guest we have the opportunity to serve, thank you so much for letting us know we acheived our goal during your stay! I will share your comments with our staff!
I also wanted to mention I also enjoy the Hyatt Grand Bed when I get to stay in Hyatt. You can now purchase those beds for your own home at Hyattathome.com :)
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Hyatt had larger rooms, clean and well designed. The breakfast had healthy choices and lots of icy cold juices. They did not use throw away styrofoam plate ar plastic dinnerware. The snack case had good sweets for a late night treat. Staff was very friendly. Got us to the airport promptly. I will stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! It is always wonderful to hear about the amenities guests of our hotel appreciate, and I am happy to report we have added a few new treats to the snack case! Hope you have a chance to test them out on your next trip! Again, thank you so much for your time and feedback, we sincerely appreciate it.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have used the Hyatt Place twice now when making an early flight. We check in and eat at one of the places nearby at Cascade Station.The shuttle is 24 hours, the rooms nice and the rates for the park and fly prgram very reasonable. We will use it again as it beats getting up even earlier and driving to the airport and then find a place in the dark.

Room Tip: It is also near the Max line if you are staying there and want to train into dowtown. It is by the a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your kind words! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback, we sincerely appreciate it. Feedback such as yours is essential in ensuring we are providing service guests want to experience! Again, thank you for your time, we hope to see you again in the future!
Salina, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great location -- close to airport and shopping -- clean hotel, great service, outstanding continental breakfast, and walking distance to several restaurants. Easy checkin-in/check-out. Friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel! We are overjoyed to learn you had a wonderful stay! I will share your comments with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Yakima, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We chose the Hyatt Place for an overnight stay in the Portland area to attend a friend's wedding. The wedding was actually pretty far south of Portland on the I-205, but the price for the room was about as competitive as we could find, plus we wanted to be near the Tri-Met MAX system should we want to go into Portland. Being near a MAX line greatly increases the appeal of this hotel because driving into Portland and finding parking is always a pain.

When we arrived it was rather late at night. We drove in from out of town. We found the front desk staff very friendly. The hotel was obviously not completely full as we were offered our choice of floors for our room. We opted for a ground floor room, which was not an unpleasant experience. Our room was located a short walk from the fitness room and the pool.

The layout of the room was very comfortable and open. A corner sectional is located on one side of the room near the entry. It faces a TV which is on a hinge which allows the TV to either face the couch or the bed. Between the couch and the bed is a full height room divider which gives the sensation that your living area is divided from your sleeping area. Across from the couch is a desk and a dry bar which had a single serve coffee maker and a mini-fridge.

The bathroom was split with a sink and vanity across from the sleeping area and a large stand up shower and toilet in a private room. Also in the bathroom alcove area was a closet of reasonable size. Unlike many hotel rooms I’ve been in, there is minimal furniture and storage is at a premium. I’ve never been one to unpack my luggage into hotel drawers, however if you do, you won’t find many to unpack into. The lack of furniture also means that your luggage will generally find a home on the large sectional or possibly on top of the desk or the dry bar. The good news is that the night stands were not floor standing, but were attached to the wall thus freeing up a good amount of floor space next to the bed.

Rooms are attractively decorated and lighting is more than sufficient. You don’t know how many hotel rooms I have been in where there is not nearly enough lighting or the lighting is not nearly centralized to properly illuminate the room. Having a well lit room is very important, no matter what the reason for travel.

The TV has an extensive patch panel, meant to be used with your own video and audio electronics. If I were a road warrior I could see how this could come in handy for using my own video devices on the larger flat screen in the room. The only issue I can see is that the work desk is not in a place which can easily see the TV. I would have to be on the couch or in bed with a long cord from my laptop or other device to the patch panel to get much use out of this. You can also plug in more conventional video playback devices, which would work fine because you could set the device on the work desk or one of the cubbies that is located below the TV. The patch panel is a nice feature, but I’m afraid I wouldn’t use it that much or at all based upon my current travel needs.

The pool is very attractive. We had limited time to visit it on our last trip, but the pool and whirlpool all appeared to be well maintained and the general pool area wasn’t musty or nasty smelling. Too bad the pool was not open later into the evening or else we would have taken advantage of it.

The exercise room is nicely equipped with modern equipment. The exercise room is open 24 hours.

The free breakfast offered in the morning is decent, with a good selection of fruit, juices, baked goods and cereals. A hot breakfast sandwich is also available as part of the complimentary breakfast. The hotel runs a small kitchen and bar which operates 24 hours. Prices are reasonable but the menu is limited and definitely feels tailored to a short-order cook. In the morning there are also breakfast items available for purchase outside of the continental breakfast. Again most selections are short-order in style.

The nearby Cascade Station shopping complex has plenty of food options, all within walking distance. Very near the Hyatt Place is a Buffalo Wild Wings and a 24 hour IHOP. There are numerous other restaurants located in across the street in the shopping center. You can even get a nice meal for very little money at the IKEA which is located all the way down at the opposite end of the shopping complex.

The proximity to the Red Line of the Portland MAX system makes this an ideal hotel to stay at if you wish to get to Downtown Portland or to the airport with ease. The Place is a reasonable walk to a MAX station. MAX fares are competitive. As of this writing, a day pass on Max, which includes all Max trains, Tri-Met busses and the Portland streetcar is $5. A 2-hour pass that is good on Tri-Met is $2. These rates will change, but compared to the hassle of driving into Portland and finding parking, a $5 day pass on all Tri-Met vehicles is a great buy. It isn’t hard to spend $20 or $20 in parking when going into Portland.

Our stay was very comfortable. I’ve never been a huge fan of hotel beds; they are usually much too soft, but the bed at the Hyatt Place was comfortable, although not as firm as I’d like. Hotel pillows at the Hyatt Place are typical, feather, and much too unsupportive for my taste. Again, a common issue I have with all hotels I stay in, not an issue specific to this hotel.

I like this location and hotel so much that I have booked stays here a number of times and plan to continue to use this hotel for my future Portland travel.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are isolated from the public spaces, so noise is not an issue. They are also muc...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer K, General Manager at Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
We sincerely appreciate your time in giving us your feedback, thank you so much! We feel fortunate to be in such a great location and so close to the MAX line as you mentioned; we always have maps of the downtown area and MAX lines at the front desk if you ever find the need for one. :)
With regard to your comments as to luggage space in the room, we recognized the need for convenient storage and set up for your luggage, and have placed luggage racks in each of the closets for your convenience.
Again, thank you so much for your review, and kind words, we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hyatt Place Portland Airport / Cascade Station? Share your experiences!