“Good choice for "business", even with imperfections” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu
“Good choice for "business", even with imperfections”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Candlewood Suites was my accommodations for a week in mid August 2013. My "business" was to drop-off my son at college; he was with me for the first half of the stay before settling into his dorm room and various orientations and retreat. I knew it was going to be a lot of work since we live in Hawaii and most of my son's "stuff" (refrigerator, beddings, school supplies, warm clothes, dorm-room staples, toiletries, etc.) would have to be purchased locally. Candlewood Suites proved a good choice for this as the property caters to extended-stay travelers. While a week can hardly be called "long-term", I was alone for half the trip so it seemed very long!

I found Candlewood Suites a great place for a long hotel stay because rooms are equipped with kitchens with full-sized refrigerator, dishwasher, stove top, coffee maker (free coffee!), microwave (free popcorn!), and all the utensils, plate ware, glassware, cook ware and cleaning supplies a family would need. It was super clean and the appliances and wares in the room I rented were rather new.

There is a table right off the kitchen that can be used for both dining and a desk, a good-sized flat-screen T.V. with cable service (limited HBO, and free DVD library at front desk!), and either queen or king sized beds. Since I was going to be in the room by myself half the time, I rented the queen room, which my son complained about. But the bed was very comfortable (and I have a history of back spasms) and was just right for the two of us, even if I am well over 200 lbs.

Downstairs near the lobby, there is a clean and modern, modest-sized workout room adjacent the laundry room (free laundry!! just provide your own detergent, softener, etc.)

The lobby is a little on the small size, but bright and inviting with comfortable seating and a large flat-screen TV, and like everywhere else on property, immaculate. Just off the lobby is a "pantry" where snacks, drinks, condiments, and microwaveable food can be purchased, and, a business center with desk-top computers and printers.

The best things about this property is the free parking, the short ride to the airport and Cascade Tri-Met Station and shopping center (Best Buy, Target, Ikea, Ross', Staples, Red Robin, IHOP, Panda Express, and many others); and, the customer service. Every employee was genuinely engaging when we spoke: informative, friendly, funny, and hey, even a little quirky, but this is Portland, right!

Rooms are cleaned only once a week; which may be a good or not so good thing, depending on the needs of the traveler. For me, it was not a problem as towels and sheets could be picked up at the front desk. I only wish they kept a broom and dust pan in the room so guests can sweep up after using the kitchen.

Alas, the place is not perfect; and unfortunately not close to it. For example, when I first walked off the somewhat slow elevator onto the third floor, I thought I was in a downtown Las Vegas casino---it reeked of smoke. My nose burned of smoke the first couple of nights in the room and even though it was billed as a non-smoking room, it seemed to not have always been one. But as the days passed, I did not notice the smell in the room so much; but it was still very strong in the halls. What I thought was tobacco smoke might have been residue from a fire on the floor somewhere recently; at least that is what my nose was telling me as the days passed.

Also, I was given a wheelchair access room without being advised. It was not a big thing as I am used to taking showers when I'm home in the tropics, but some people, as I have read here on Tripadvisor, would have an issue with that. It would have been appropriate to be advised of such.

The room was not as big as I thought it would be from other postings; but it was not a one-bedroom suite and for $89/night for the week, I could not complain. Also, the photo on the website makes the property look much bigger than it is. Other than what I have described, the only other area on property I could make out would be a gazebo in the back with tables and bbq.

What was large was the bathroom (to accommodate a wheelchair or scooter, of course), but there was hardly anywhere to put toiletries. The sink was a pedestal type, which is understandable, but had only a small glass shelf above the toilet to place personal items. I'm a low-maintenance guy, but I still need room for toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, sunblock, vitamins, dental floss, comb--you know, the basics; but I could only place a few of these items on the shelf and sink.

The a/c and fan in the room worked well and can be controlled easily, but the fan is sooooo loud. Luckily, I got used to it in a couple of nights like with the burn smell.

I also had a room door that was faulty; I'm sure it is not a common occurrence in the hotel, and I was not going to mention it, but for any travelers' safety and safekeeping of personal items I decided to mention it as a tip to always check your door before you leave the room. Here is what happened:

As we returned from errands and shopping during our second day, my son and I forgot our key cards in the room, so I went downstairs to get another one; but when I returned to the room, my son was already in it. He said he just pushed the door and it opened! Of course I thought we did not close it properly when we had left earlier.

Well, on the second to the last day of my stay, I discovered the same thing. So each time I left the room after that I checked the door when I closed it and indeed it did not automatically lock. I had to jiggle the handle a few times for it to lock; and even so, it was not a "flush" lock.

To be fair to Candlewood Suites, I did not advise them of the faulty door until I checked out because I had to rush off to my son's college orientations the last few days. As with all my encounters, I am positive the property's personnel would have jumped into action. Brittany, my first and last contact with Candlewood, was apologetic and concerned and wrote down the information to pass it on to the appropriate staff.

The hotel also offers an area shuttle which is very reliable, but you need to set up appointments in advance as it does not make regular trips. Also, there is very little near the hotel. There is Budget rent-a-car down the road, another hotel across the street, and a 24-hour diner across the intersection with great pies--downtown/uptown this is not. You definitely need a car or rely on the shuttle.

Also, the property itself has very few places to lounge; no pool or terrace , bar or restaurant. So this might not be a place to stay for a non-business vacation, unless you like to do a lot of driving. Downtown is about 20-30 minutes away, but traffic here during weekday rush-hour can be UNBELIEVABLE! I took the Tri-Met rail whenever I wanted to go to town after 2:00 p.m. because the freeways were clogged with vehicles.

But as I had said, for "business" it is an ideal place. And while not perfect, I still rate this property very good mostly because of the service and cleanliness and good bed (which just might be the most important thing in a hotel room). I would stay here again, for sure.

Room Tip: If you are not a smoker, try to stay away from the third floor, even if given a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
PDXCWGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Radmen,

Thank you for your thorough review of our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to think of every aspect of the hotel. We appreciate you mentioning all of the amenties we offer here at the Candlewood Suites. Also, thank you for mentioning our proximity to the cascade station and the max light rail system where our shuttle runs complimentary 24 hours a day. We are so sorry for the faulty door and a/c unit. Rest assured that we do checks of all rooms daily and will fix the issue. We hope to see you again soon.

Nathan Storms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at the Candlewood for a couple of nights. The rooms was very clean and seemed almost new - i'm not sure how old the hotel is but it was very well kept. The room was huge and slept well.
However, there was no breakfast or dinner for this hotel. I didn't realize that but it was no big deal, there are great restaurants conveniently located to the facility. Also the airport is right around the corner.
The room did have an old grease smell - which may have been from someone cooking in the kitchen, but the front desk had some frebreeze that seemed to help quite a bit.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PDXCWGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear rbrown5305,

Thank you for taking time to write such great review of our hotel. We appreciate you mentioning the cleanliness of our hotel as the team takes pride in keeping our hotel nice. I will make sure to pass along your comments to our team. Our Candlewood Cupboard is open 24 hours a day and offers guests the flexibility to purchase and take food items to their room. We offer over 200 items all value priced under $6. Local Boyd's coffee is always complimentary. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

KIndest Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

A great place to stay if you are visiting portland and don't really care if you are a bit outside the city. It *is* within walking distance to the train into the city, about a 20-25 min ride, BUT not with kids... Still about a mile away.

The hotel is really nice, very new and clean and very well laid out. We had a huge suite, with a seperate bedroom, nice kitchenette that had about everything we needed to make all our meals for a family of four.

My one minor complaint is that because of the style of hotel they only do maid service once a week. This in itself is not a problem, but they should include a little vaccum and broom... In the suites for day to day cleanup...

So what it is lacking in location (although very convenient to the airport) it makes up for in value and comfort. It is easy access to the freeway into the city as well.

We almost paid $60-70 more a night for a hotel with a pool, but we really didn't spend much time hanging out, so it wasn't worth it.

The value was ok, since we had a government rate, but without it it seems a bit pricey, but it seems like most of the places around here are.

The closest grocery is albertsons in kind of a ghetto area next to a strip joint. The store itself was fine, but you have to drive through a pretty gross area of town (not dangerous, just ghetto) to get to it.

They do have a little store in the hotel that had a lot of things and not too pricey.

The free laundry is helpful too...

All in all, we were very pleased and will come back for sure.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear SchuFamily,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel. We appreciate you mentioning our proximity to the Max Light Rail system. Please note we do have a complimentary shuttle that runs to the airport and Cascade Station 24 hours a day and can be schedule at the front desk. Also, we offer weekly housekeeping service in an attempt to be an environmentally responsible hotel and reduce waste all while allowing guests privacy they expect. Next time you stay with us we do have a vacuum and broom at the front desk that we allow guests to use during their stay. Costco and Target are less than a mile away and offer grocery and department store items for your convenience. Thank you for mentioning our complimentary 24 hour guest laundry which allows you to do your laundry when time allows you. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Lansing, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. Large suites. Clean. Great staff. Large parking lot. Big fluffy towels. Convenient to airport and to highways across the area.
No courtesy breakfast, but they are suites, so no big deal to keep juice and donuts on the fridge.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Strickd,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of of our hotel and calling your stay and the hotel, "close to perfection". We appreciate you mentioning the fluffy towels and the refrigerators which are full size and allow you stock up. Lastly, thank you for mentioning our "great staff". I will make sure to pass along your comments to our team. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Newtown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We needed a hotel at the airport and trusted the quality reviews on tripadvisor. I booked the room using partial Priority Club Points and cash. We were not disappointed.

We tried for an early check-in (noon) but our room wasn't ready. No problem as the front desk held our luggage as we visited Portland. Upon returning not only was our luggage taken to our room, but they gave us an upgrade into a king suite. A large, clean unit that resembled a nice apartment. The staff was excellent here.

The shuttle was on time in the morning and took us straight to the airport. Traffic around this hotel can be brutal leaving during the afternoon rush hour. Our only regret was not having more time to enjoy the suite.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PDXCWGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear relayer,

Thank you for the excellent review and for mentioning our hotel was a "Great Place to Stay". We are happy to hold luggage for any early check in requests we are unable to fulfill and we will make sure to share with the staff your comments on how excellent they are. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Bethesda Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed one night. Large room but only a queen sized bed. Full size fridge, did not cook. Wifi worked fine. Staff helpful. Location is a bit depressing and grocery stores are not nearby.Bed comfortable and the room was spotless

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PDXCWGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Emeritus24,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and for mentioning that the team members were helpful. Next time you are in town make sure to ask any team members for directions as we have both a Costco and Target within 1 mile of the hotel. We are thrilled that the room was very comfortable and that the room was spotless. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Excellent staff and facility. Clean, quiet rooms. Free laundry and fitness room. The location is close to the airport and has lots of parking. The grilling area was quite nice and the grills worked well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear J P,

Thank you so much for taking the time time to write such a kind review about our hotel. We especially appreciate you mentioning the friendliness of the staff and cleanliness of the hotel. We will make sure to share your comments with all of our team members. Lastly, we are happy you mentioned the Gazebo Grill which allows you to unwind and BBQ your own meals whenever you would like, 24 hours a day. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Nathan Storms

Been to Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport? Share your experiences!