“Great value! One of the best I've stayed at!” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 132 hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Wayne, NJ
“Great value! One of the best I've stayed at!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Service: The front desk staff were efficient and very friendly. They were quick to my exchange request for new sheets and towels in the middle of the week. Right next to the lobby is a business center with 2 computers as well as a printer in it. Right next to the business center was a convenience shop that allowed you to pay cash directly into the box or charge any purchases to your bill. There was a free laundry room to the right of the shop and directly in front of the elevator. To the right of the laundry room was a gym which is also free to use. You also get next day dry cleaning for a small fee during the week which is useful for business trips.

Value: Discovered this hotel while planning for a week long visit to Portland for the first time. I was looking on the cheaper end of hotels to minimize costs for this trip and I stumbled upon this one. If you plan ahead you can get a really nice rate however make sure your plan is 100% set in stone because their cheapest rate requires a 100% nonrefundable deposit at least a week beforehand. Also free parking for 1 car is included during your stay which is great!

Sleep Quality: The walls kept sound out well and the bed was comfortable. The A/C unit isn't that loud and as long as the bathroom vent isn't on, except some decent sleep. Unfortunately, this hotel is located near the airport however I had a room on the 2nd of floors. I did not hear the sound of airplanes landing or taking off as I went to sleep as loudly as I expected to.

Cleanliness: The room was clean when I first came in. The provided kitchenware was clean as well, The sink both in the kitchen and bathroom was reflective and seemed clean. The rest of the bathroom was great too. Most importantly the bed sheets seemed clean and didn't emit any weird scents.

Location: Conveniently located near the airport, in fact it was a straightforward drive to and from the airport a couple of miles away down 1 road for the most part. If you're up for a short 1 mile walk to the cascade center you can get on the MAX RED line and head downtown. Bus #87 is also right in front and to the left across the street as well if it helps when planning a trip on public transit. As someone who planned entirely on public transportation this hotel worked out great for me.

Rooms:The bathroom had a nice amount of space to store things under the sink. The shower head was basic but good. The bathroom fan is a tad loud but overall was clean and stocked well with toilet paper.The suite with 1 queen bed was not real large but the kitchen was well equipped with a full size fridge, microwave, stove top, dishwasher, toaster, dishes, pans, etc. The air conditioner was fairly quiet and worked well.The window opened a few inches.

Other Information (for the geeky)
TV: The TV was a 32in LCD (I think LG but I forget the brand because I wound up not using it for the most part) rated for 720p with a native resolution of 1366x768. The cable service was in SD but still works if you need to get your television fix (I didn't use the TV for cable use at all other than to see its quality out of curiosity). Hooking up a console or laptop via HDMI yields a nice picture. A DVD player is included but I didn't wind up using it at all nor did I bother to check if it had an HDMI out. It was connected via component so it should work nicely for anyone who does use it.

Internet (Wireless): The coverage is wonderful and professionally laid out across the 2.4ghz spectrum in a manner that doesn't interfere with itself (split across channels 2,7,11 [I think]) and is password protected. The password seems to be rotated monthly so that outsiders can't use up all the bandwidth that should be for paying guests. Speeds are shared throughout the whole hotel but there is more than enough to go around. Speedtest results in the section to follow.

Internet (Wired): I had a hard time finding whether or not this hotel only had wireless or wired internet. Turns out it has both. If you come with an ethernet cable you'll be pleased to know that there is an ethernet jack right under the phone jack in the room! Now for the speed results. Taken through many wired tests throughout my stay, I consistently net a result of about 25Mbit down and 35Mbit up. Here is a link to a speedtest result to prove it.
[http://speedtest.net/result/2204716074.png]
Overall the geeky should be highly pleased with this hotel whether its gaming while away or transferring huge (and hopefully legal) files. Honestly though, you should be out and about in this great city but for those who wanted to know this I decided to put this information out there. If ever this is a gaming convention or something along those lines I HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

Overall I enjoyed my experience at this hotel as well as within the city of Portland. It really did feel like my home away from home. With such a friendly staff and great amenities, you can't go wrong choosing this hotel! I hope the next time I visit I can get similar rates again.

Room Tip: Higher floors might have more airplane noise but maybe they won't. The walls seemed to keep out...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PDXCWGM, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear kc6007470,
I would like to thank you for your extremely thorough review of the Candlewood Suites Portland Airport. I appreciate you taking the time to break down every aspect of your stay here in Portland. Thank you for mentioning our helpfull and friendly staff as well as the cleanliness of your suite. We strive to provide a friendly home away from home feel. We look forward to your stay next time your in beautiful Portland Oregon.

139 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The rooms are clean and well insulated from interior noise. The water pressure and temp was perfect for me(Usually pressure is too low or water is not hot enough. The free laundry services was a big plus(clean and convenient). I felt safe leaving the hotel at night and it was conveniently located to most areas. The staff was helpful and pleasant. Housekeeping was unobtrusive and did a good job. The only drawback is you can hear planes occassionally(near airport). Ample parking. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
PDXCWGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear athena5365,

Thank you so much for giving us feedback about your stay with us. We appreciate you mentioning the cleanliness of our rooms as we try to keep our hotel looking as new as possible. Also, thank you for mentioning our free laundry and the friendliness of our staff. We enjoy the opporunity to have you as a guest and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Springfield, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I loved this place! It was so clean and I really enjoyed the kitchen. I couldnt belive it even had its own stove,including pots and pans and plates! Booking this place was a accident. I didnt mean to click book room,and when I did it let me know that the money would instantly be taken out of my account. I called the hotel and they told me they couldnt refund the money because its agianst policy because It was booked online. So my boyfriend and I travled to Portland just for the room and Im glad we did!

-Nice flat screen TV
-Comfortable Bed
-Luxury bathroom
-dvd player in room/DVD's at the front desk

Great place to stay! Highly recommend.
Room price ranges from 90-120$

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Michelle T,

Your tagline brings a smile to our staff. We are glad you stayed with us. We are sorry for any confusion in regards to your booking. There is an option on our website to book an advance purchase reservation which is non-cancellable and non-changeable, however, if an individual does not anticipate needing to cancel it will save them between 15 and 20 %. Thank you again, we hope to see you again soon.

Garland, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Large and clean rooms with kitchens, free laundry and parking, nice staff. Close to airport, and scenic day trips. Not so close to Portland neighborhoods, college and local flavor. Lots of traffic but next to mall with lots of free parking and rail service. Shuttle to mall offered but we didn't use it. Cascade mall has several places to eat and buy groceries and supplies - even a clinic that came in handy.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Johannah707 ,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. I am particularly thankful you mentioned the cleanliness of our hotel and our nice staff as we strive to create all the comforts of home you would expect. Also, thank you for mentioning our proximity to downtown Portland and the scenic outdoors that the Northwest has to offer. We hope to see you again soon.

Redmond, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Candlewood Suites on a reverse park and fly package for our trip to Jamaica. The parking spots are a little tight buy they worked since our car is a VW Jetta. The place is clean and we had no issue with the room and the beds were very comfortable with nice amenities just like an apartment. The issue was that someone had turned off our ice maker in the frig and we had no ice so we went looking for ice and were told by the front desk they have no ice and that we could drive to get some. They did not offer to get ice from another room or anything it was like they didnt really care if we got ice or not and it was not their problem.
The other issue that really was a problem was that they did not have their own shuttle and they use the shuttle from the hotel next door, La Quinta. When we arrived the first night to drop off the car to start our vacation we talked to the front desk and they assured us that the shuttle was never more than 30 minutes away so they could take us to the airport anytime we wanted. So we went to dinner and then returned and informed the front desk that we were ready for the shuttle. They called the "shared" shuttle and said it was on the way. Well needless to say 1.5 hours later we finally got that shuttle. We kept checking with the desk and they kept assuring us it was on the way but we never got a straight answer why but we almost missed our flight because of the shuttle. The front desks solution to the problem was for us to call our own cab and pay for it ourselves!!! We do not do park and fly to pay for our own transportation to the airport. We do lots of traveling and use park and fly quite often but we WILL NOT return to Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Randy B, Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Alsunandfun,
Thank you for choosing The Candlewood Suites Portland Airport Hotel to accomodate you and your vehicle during your last stay with us. I appologize for the issues with the shuttle service provided. Please contact myself or Nathan Storms(General Manager) at the hotel,503-255-4003, we would like to discuss the issue further and avoid any problems in the future. I will continue to work with my front desk staff to ensure all guest shuttle needs are fullfilled in a timely manner. The hotel will provide alternate transportation if a situation like this arises. We appreciate you mentioning the comfort of our beds and cleanliness of our suites. Our goal is to make your home away from home as comfortable and quiet as possible. We look forward to hosting you in the future.
San Ramon, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I am pleased with what this establishment has to offer. I am working here in Portland for a few weeks and was placed here by the agency involved with the contract. Lots of freebies, 24 hour free laundry (well maintained), 24 hour fitness center, free coffee, free shuttle, free internet and VERY friendly staff. The room is adequately sized (I am in a studio) and room is refreshed (immaculately) once a week. It is close to the airport, so expect jet noises and very brief outages of the satellite reception (5 to 10 seconds) It could have 2 elevators for it's size, but I am a patient fellow, so no worries. The rooms are quiet and the beds are quite comfy. I have been here 2 weeks and will remain for a few more weeks, but I feel that the staff goes out of their way to be accommodating and friendly. I would probably enjoy staying @ other Candlewoods, if they are similar to this one. I have stayed in other extended stay facilities elsewhere and they tend to not be as nice and nickel and dime for anything and everything. This is a refreshing change. It is not the Ritz, but I don't expect it to be. It is a fairly new facility and nicely appointed. It gave me a pleasant experience, for the first time being in Portland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear max4urmoney,
Thank you for your thorough review of our Candlewood Suites Extended Stay Portland Airport hotel. We appreciate you sharing your experience here with other travelers to Portland. I appreciate you mentioning our friendly and helpfull staff. We strive to provide excellent customer service for all guests. I will make sure to pass these compliments on to my front desk staff. Also thank you for mentioning the size and spaciousness of our all suites hotel rooms, as we are the perfect fit whether on temporary assignment or in the area for just a few days. Thank you again for staying with us during your first time to Portland. We look forward to accomodating your stay in the future.
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We picked Candlewood Suites based on the ratings, which were higher than Embassy Suites, and what appeared to be a competitive price, and we were well rewarded for our efforts. We were impressed by the size of the room, and the fact there was a real full-sized refrigerator in the suite. It was more like an apartment-sized kitchen, rather than the bare minimums you usually get. The staff was courteous and helpful, and the location in close proximity to PDX and Cascade Station is a real plus. Shari's restaurant is a 2-block walk away, or you've got the rest of Portland if you like. We would definitely try and stay here again next time we come through.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PDXCWGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear golfsierra47,

We appreciate your emphatic review of our Extended Stay Hotel near Portland International Airport. We are geared toward the extended stay traveler, however we do allow shorter lengths of stay based on availability. Also, thank you for mentioining that you were impressed with the size of the room as well as the fully equipped kitchen. Your comment about the courteous and helpfullness of our staff brings a smile to my face and I will be sure to share your comments with them. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Nathan Storms

Been to Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport? Share your experiences!