Service: The front desk staff were efficient and very friendly. They were quick to my exchange request for new sheets and towels in the middle of the week. Right next to the lobby is a business center with 2 computers as well as a printer in it. Right next to the business center was a convenience shop that allowed you to pay cash directly into the box or charge any purchases to your bill. There was a free laundry room to the right of the shop and directly in front of the elevator. To the right of the laundry room was a gym which is also free to use. You also get next day dry cleaning for a small fee during the week which is useful for business trips.
Value: Discovered this hotel while planning for a week long visit to Portland for the first time. I was looking on the cheaper end of hotels to minimize costs for this trip and I stumbled upon this one. If you plan ahead you can get a really nice rate however make sure your plan is 100% set in stone because their cheapest rate requires a 100% nonrefundable deposit at least a week beforehand. Also free parking for 1 car is included during your stay which is great!
Sleep Quality: The walls kept sound out well and the bed was comfortable. The A/C unit isn't that loud and as long as the bathroom vent isn't on, except some decent sleep. Unfortunately, this hotel is located near the airport however I had a room on the 2nd of floors. I did not hear the sound of airplanes landing or taking off as I went to sleep as loudly as I expected to.
Cleanliness: The room was clean when I first came in. The provided kitchenware was clean as well, The sink both in the kitchen and bathroom was reflective and seemed clean. The rest of the bathroom was great too. Most importantly the bed sheets seemed clean and didn't emit any weird scents.
Location: Conveniently located near the airport, in fact it was a straightforward drive to and from the airport a couple of miles away down 1 road for the most part. If you're up for a short 1 mile walk to the cascade center you can get on the MAX RED line and head downtown. Bus #87 is also right in front and to the left across the street as well if it helps when planning a trip on public transit. As someone who planned entirely on public transportation this hotel worked out great for me.
Rooms:The bathroom had a nice amount of space to store things under the sink. The shower head was basic but good. The bathroom fan is a tad loud but overall was clean and stocked well with toilet paper.The suite with 1 queen bed was not real large but the kitchen was well equipped with a full size fridge, microwave, stove top, dishwasher, toaster, dishes, pans, etc. The air conditioner was fairly quiet and worked well.The window opened a few inches.
Other Information (for the geeky)
TV: The TV was a 32in LCD (I think LG but I forget the brand because I wound up not using it for the most part) rated for 720p with a native resolution of 1366x768. The cable service was in SD but still works if you need to get your television fix (I didn't use the TV for cable use at all other than to see its quality out of curiosity). Hooking up a console or laptop via HDMI yields a nice picture. A DVD player is included but I didn't wind up using it at all nor did I bother to check if it had an HDMI out. It was connected via component so it should work nicely for anyone who does use it.
Internet (Wireless): The coverage is wonderful and professionally laid out across the 2.4ghz spectrum in a manner that doesn't interfere with itself (split across channels 2,7,11 [I think]) and is password protected. The password seems to be rotated monthly so that outsiders can't use up all the bandwidth that should be for paying guests. Speeds are shared throughout the whole hotel but there is more than enough to go around. Speedtest results in the section to follow.
Internet (Wired): I had a hard time finding whether or not this hotel only had wireless or wired internet. Turns out it has both. If you come with an ethernet cable you'll be pleased to know that there is an ethernet jack right under the phone jack in the room! Now for the speed results. Taken through many wired tests throughout my stay, I consistently net a result of about 25Mbit down and 35Mbit up. Here is a link to a speedtest result to prove it.
Overall the geeky should be highly pleased with this hotel whether its gaming while away or transferring huge (and hopefully legal) files. Honestly though, you should be out and about in this great city but for those who wanted to know this I decided to put this information out there. If ever this is a gaming convention or something along those lines I HIGHLY recommend this hotel.
Overall I enjoyed my experience at this hotel as well as within the city of Portland. It really did feel like my home away from home. With such a friendly staff and great amenities, you can't go wrong choosing this hotel! I hope the next time I visit I can get similar rates again.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport Hotel
- Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport Hotel Portland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guests Love Portland, OR Airport Hotel's Location. Situated in Portland, Oregon near the airport, this hotel's welcoming amenities and cozy surroundings provide the convenience of a hotel and the comfort of an apartment. With downtown Portland just a short drive away and Cascade Station shopping center within walking distance, you'll never run out of things to do here at the Candlewood Suites® Hotel Portland - Airport.Corporate travelers looking for Portland, Oregon airport hotels appreciate our free 2.5 mile area shuttle in addition to the perks like free high-speed Internet access. Guests can count on an easy commute to Boeing, Oregon National Guard and the Honda and Toyota Training Centers. There's a boardroom suitable for on-site meetings of up to eight people.Patrons of this hotel in Portland, Oregon are only minutes from Portland's city center, which boasts incredible architecture, shopping and fine dining. Other "must see" area attractions include the Portland Saturday Market and the Oregon Zoo. Guests can literally view the entire city from the OHSU's Portland Aerial Tram.Top-notch amenities like free self-service laundry facilities and a 24-hour Fitness Center ensure convenience for guests. You can grill out in the gazebo or relax with a DVD from our free lending library. We offer Park, Stay and Go Packages, too, which include up to 14 days of free parking at the hotel. While in Portland, Oregon, you can "Consider Us Home." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, IHG, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Olotels, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, Expedia, Venere, HotelsClick and Hotels.com so you can book your Candlewood Suites - Portland Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.