“Go do that Voodoo!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Houston, Texas
“Go do that Voodoo!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

People always say this place is over rated. I can see why you'd say that. But regardless, the donuts I had were superior. I didn't feel sick and they were not gross. I would recommend it. Maybe people from Texas ordered the wrong donuts.

The blueberry was fantastic, much much better than DD on the East Coast. It was obviously made from fresh blueberries and was light and fluffy.

The apple fritter was as big as my face. At first I wondered why, for 2 donuts I had to have the big pink box, which I thought was just wasteful. But the donut was as big as my face! It was crisp and moist and just a very well-done fritter.

The place was a little intimidating, you enter (not much of a line when we arrived) and seem only to be able to view old nostalgic menus. You can see the menu up on the wall as you get closer, but I arrived at the register still unsure what I wanted to order. Some of the donuts listed on the menu, well, what were they? I didn't want to take up a lot of time asking a bunch of questions, so I just went with my standard donut favorites.

I was very happy with my visit.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Savannah, Georgia
“Same Doughnuts, Shorter Line”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I've heard about Voodoo Doughnut for years, and even though I almost never eat doughnuts, I added it to my bucket list. I had every intention of visiting the original location, but changed my mind when we saw the line. A short drive later and a wait behind one other customer, and we had our doughnuts! They were delicious. I guess afternoon is the best time to go. The venue is really fun, especially with stained glass images of their signature doughnuts. I agree with previous posters - the staff was a little on the surly side, and not particularly helpful. Bathrooms are outside and require a key. I'm glad to cross it off the bucket list, but I'm not sure I'd be a regular, even if I lived locally.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Palm Beach, Florida
“My Grandchildren Loved It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

My daughter and I took her son and his three cousins to Voodoo Doughnut Too. The Boston cousins had been clamoring to come and visit the place. It lived up to their expectations. My Portland grandson has always liked it. It was my first visit, as well. I'd heard about it, saw bits of it on TV but the reality was better. The server knew her products and we made her aware of one child's allergies. There was a line ahead and behind us but she took time to make it a fun visit. We wound up ordering a dozen. I had gotten the creeps when i heard of a maple bacon donut but the grandkids insisted I had to have it. They all ordered run of the mill, in my opinion, donuts. We brought them home and shared them. I cut mine up so others could taste the maple bacon. I had the last piece and I was sorry that I shared it. It was quite tasty and not what I thought. We all had a good time and had our sugar high for several days.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Always Amazing Doughnuts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This was our first trip to this location and I highly recommend it. The staff was excellent, we were very undecided and the girl at the counter helped us with our doughnut choices and apparel. Wish I could remember her name because she was super helpful and very patient.

If you haven't tried this location you should, there is a parking lot and room to sit and enjoy.

I wish I could give more than 5 stars!

Visited July 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Donut line”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Well, if a donut is worth standing in line for a half an hour, it might as well be an entertaining wait, but...if you have any other plans, you might want to just pop in to Safeway and pick up a Maple Bar.

• Visited September 2013